Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Platelet Enhancement Therapy

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by StormyThai, Jul 10, 2019.

1. StormyThai

StormyThai Moderator
    Staff Member

Today was the day for Thai to receive PET...I was a nervous wreck, and completely lost while he was gone :(
    However, he did very well...the vets again commented on how great his muscle coverage is which should hopefully help with his recovery :D

He is very sore right now, and looks a bit patchworky due to his shaved patches but hopefully in the next day or two we will see an improvement. I have booked an appointment with our physio vet so that she can assess him with fresh eyes and give us plenty of exercises to work on...but for the mean time it is just rest and see what happens.

As he was intubated I made sure to get him a Puppuccino to help with his sore throat and to hopefully make up for me leaving him with the vet :p
    Poor boy looks very sorry with himself at the moment :(
    IMG_5135.JPG

I'll update this thread as our journey continues :)
    Thanks for reading.

2. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Looking forward to 'seeing' Thai's progress here.

He certainly likes his puppacinos...yes I still feel a bad mum that my dogs haven't had the experience of one!

DaisyBluebell and StormyThai like this.
  3. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

AwThai! Two puppachinos in one month though! That's a good deal!

Fingers crossed this is all positive for him :)

4. StormyThai

StormyThai Moderator
    Staff Member

The vets have said that he is a really good candidate for the therapy so hopefully we will see an improvement and we can lower his meds :)
    Unfortunately this will be his last Puppuccino for a while because I want to get a couple of kilos off him (with the drop in exercise his weight has crept up to 40kg's again so I want to get him back to 37kgs to keep the weight off his joints) but I'm sure he will cope :p

5. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Sending lots of good vibes to Thai.
    You’ll have to get low fat puppuccino for him;)

6. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

Oh Thai hope you are back to your normal self tomorrow. He looks very well looked after can I move in?

I have had to report you :eek:

7. Teddy-dog

Teddy-dog PetForums VIP

Aww poor Thai. Hope all goes well for him!

StormyThai likes this.
  8. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

Fingers crossed!!!!

StormyThai likes this.
  9. DaisyBluebell

DaisyBluebell Earth, the insane asylum of the Universe

Well done Thai treat it like one of your mums new daft tricks boy & you will be fine, I promise 100% hugs from me n woofs from Emma x

StormyThai likes this.
  10. StormyThai

StormyThai Moderator
    Staff Member

Well we had a terrible night.
    He didn't eat much so by about 3am his belly was soooo loud that it kept both of us awake...in and out to the garden until about 5am.

To start off with he looked terrible, so unsteady on his legs and I felt awful...but as the night has gone on he is looking better and better :)

Typically he is now fast asleep so we will head out for a short leash walk when he is awake...onwards and upwards!

LinznMilly, O2.0 and lullabydream like this.
  11. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

At least he managed his puppacino after he left the vets. That's the main thing!

Seriously though onwards and upwards with Thai.

12. StormyThai

StormyThai Moderator
    Staff Member

Walk was slow and steady but he isn't hobbling so that is an improvement...he just looks stiff now which is to be expected as the bruising will be coming out now.
    So very short walk with plenty of sniffing he is now back and asleep again...I have managed to get some food into him at least by hand feeding - this boy knows how to make the most of being poorly that's for sure :rolleyes:

Less than 24 hours and all the signs are looking positive :D

13. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Good! Onwards and upwards Thai! And hopefully mom gets a better night sleep tonight?
    I secretly love that he's making you hand-feed him. Hopefully his appetite will come back once he gets the food machine going :)

14. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

Is it just a one-off treatment or a course ?
    I hope he soon gets his appetite back. Seriously, no more Puppacinos !o_O:Arghh:Bawling

#14 SusieRainbow, Jul 11, 2019 at 10:37 AM
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2019 at 3:26 PM
  15. StormyThai

StormyThai Moderator
    Staff Member

I think that now that he has been for a walk and managed to get some food inside him his belly will feel a bit better his appetite should kick back in...although I think he secretly enjoys me hand feeding him :rolleyes:

It's a one off treatment that will hopefully give him relief for about 12 to 18 months. As it is isn't an invasive treatment and 91% (IIRC) of dogs treated have shown marked improvements I thought it was worth a try.
    In a couple of weeks we will be able to reassess his meds to see if it really has helped...It's an expensive treatment but the science behind the treatment was too good to pass up :)

16. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

Did he need a GA or sedation ? I imagine it was quite a big injection.

17. StormyThai

StormyThai Moderator
    Staff Member

He was put under GA.
    It can be done under heavy sedation or a GA depending on the joint being injected.

They draw around 55mls of his blood to filter so not a huge injection but injecting straight into a joint has it's risks.

18. DaisyBluebell

How's our wonder boy doing now?? He will know that even if he feels crab he has the best, although madest, mum in the world who would do everything she could to make life even better for him. I so feel for you, its hard putting them thru stuff that you are trying to do for them and then seeing them have to go thru it. Hugs to you as well as him.
    p.s. told you that dog was smart didnt I. Hand feeding!!!! ( your as mad as I was with Daisy but if it helps them all for the good)

Sarah H, LinznMilly and StormyThai like this.
  19. StormyThai

StormyThai Moderator
    Staff Member

We have just got back from our second potter and he is doing pretty well. It's still early days and I'm fully expecting there to be a few bad days thrown in along the way as things settle but he is walking evenly on both sides and even wants to put a few strides of trotting in...so as usual he is being a proper trooper :D
    And on the plus side this hasn't effected his dog tolerance...he has had a collie and a lab have a pop at him but they got no more than a glance before he looked at me for his reward :)

He still has a bit of a sore throat and the bruising is starting to show on his shoulders but he is making sure to milk it for all it's worth...I am getting the sad eyes as I type this so will most likely sit on the floor so he can rest against me :rolleyes:

20. DaisyBluebell

Sounding good. That boy knows how to milk it doesnt he! Would an ice cube help his throat?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice