Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Planted goldfish tank

Discussion in 'Fish Keeping Chat' started by magpie, May 25, 2020.

1. magpie

magpie PetForums VIP

Despite my goldfish taking great joy in destroying all the greenery I ever provide for them, I am going to make an attempt at a planted tank :D

This is the tank at the moment:

[​IMG]

I bought some elodea a little while ago and it seems to be surviving so far. I kept it bunched with the ceramic rings to try and keep it from being uprooted by the fish, but as you can see they have still managed to pull it up, so I don’t know if there’s anything I can do to stop them :rolleyes: I love that the fish are entertained, but sometimes I wish they would just let me have the plants where I want them! I also have some lucky bamboo in the corner (the leaves are above the surface of the water) which has been in there for 2 years now and is doing well.

At the same time as buying the elodea I also foolishly tried some rocks & driftwood in the tank, and almost immediately regretted it as the fish decided to spawn and in their excitement managed to scrape themselves up on it and lose some scales. I thought the decor I’d used was smooth enough but obviously not!

So that's all been taken out again and now I need something in there to tie my anubias to and to hopefully weigh down my air curtain, as without the rocks it's now unearthed itself from the sand. In a moment of inspiration I took an old skull vodka bottle (bereft of vodka and thoroughly rinsed!) and figured it’s glass so it’s super smooth and they can’t possibly hurt themselves on it (surely?!?), so I’ve tied one of my plants to it and I quite like it. I’m thinking that maybe I’ll need to empty & refill it when I do water changes so the water inside doesn’t get stagnant or anything, but other than that can anyone foresee any problems with using it as decor? Because now I’m eyeing up the alcohol cupboard for any more interestingly shaped bottles... :eek::D

[​IMG]

I'm not sure at the moment if I should try any other plants too or if I should just get more elodea as at least I know they like it and I don't think it does it too much harm to be uprooted occasionally. I also have a bit of java fern, but again like the rest of my anubias I just need something to attach it to.

LinznMilly and George Duke-Cohan like this.
  2. George Duke-Cohan

George Duke-Cohan PetForums Member

I love the fact that your fish love to play around. They are just trying to be landscape artists but they don't have THUMBS so they make do with what they got.:Hilarious:Shy

I would maybe use suction cups to hold down your air curtain and maybe tie some plants to the tubing (not too tiet). See how that goes if they pull the tubing off then it can be stuck back on. Just an idea. I shall do some research but I am sure there will be a work around for you. But fair play with the bamboo it looks nice and the elodea seems to be ok...

Love the vodka bottle idea! I won't ask how long it took to drink it all... I know that I love my vodka so it could of been a fun night. :rolleyes::Woot

magpie likes this.
  3. magpie

magpie PetForums VIP

They are hilarious sometimes to be fair :D

The air curtain has suction cups at either end and I've stuck them to the base, but they have the little clips for attaching to airline tubing, whereas the middle of the curtain is much thicker so I'll need a different kind of clip (if that makes sense!). But that is a good idea, I just need to find something that fits it properly.

The bottle is actually an old one, my brother bought it for me for Christmas I think a few years ago, til now I'd been using it as a bit of a piggy bank as the top is just the perfect size for £1 coins :D

George Duke-Cohan and LinznMilly like this.
  4. George Duke-Cohan

Love that. I wish I could save up. But when I get paid I spend 90% of it within a week on fish stuff. Daphnia, blood worms, plants, filtration, thermometers all fish stuff. The 10% goes to my food and bills. Ughhh I love fish too much... I just can't wait to get a room dedicated to fish.
    When I can I am most certainly getting goldfish because your seem to be so cute and funny that I must see it for myself. They look so cute!!! Little gardeners of the aquatic world. :Hilarious:D

magpie likes this.
  5. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

Had to chuckle at the idea of everything in your tank just giving you the middle finger. :D :Shy Fish, plants, decor. You do one thing, and they do another. :Hilarious

Tbf, though, it might not just be the fish that causes the elodea to float, because mine does too. It doesn't seem to mind whether it's planted or not, so unless there's a bare bit in the tank that could do with some plants, I just leave it as is.

I was wondering what you meant by glass ornaments. Who knew empty vodka bottles could make great fish tank decorations. Doesn't look too bad, though, especially as it's doubling as an aquatic plant vase. :D

How about terracotta or ceramic logs? Like this;
    Ebay - Ceramic Log

Or this;
    Pyramid with holes, eBay

George Duke-Cohan and magpie like this.
  6. magpie

magpie PetForums VIP

Well, I'm biased but I think they're awesome, so yes, you should definitely get some one day!

Yep, most of my spare money goes on either the fish or the dogs. My coin piggy bank is my tattoo fund, as I don't feel so guilty spending money on ink if I've saved up for it for ages :D

7. magpie

magpie PetForums VIP

:D:D

Oh, well maybe I shouldn't be too hard on them about the elodea then! Though I have definitely seen them tugging at it trying to pull the leaves off to eat :rolleyes:

The vodka bottle actually wasn't what I had in mind at first! But I do quite like it and at least glass bottles are easy to come by and not expensive!

I do like those ceramic logs! I'd have to check the sizes of the holes though, because if my fish can stick their heads in you can absolutely guarantee that they will. They have to have a nose at everything, they are so curious :rolleyes:

8. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

I was a bit worried about Rocky, my Pearl Gourami getting stuck in the barrel/urn ornaments in his tank, so I stuffed them with filter sponge. ;)

magpie and George Duke-Cohan like this.
  9. magpie

magpie PetForums VIP

It's like toddler-proofing your tank! :D

LinznMilly and George Duke-Cohan like this.
  10. magpie

magpie PetForums VIP

New stuff added to the tank today :)

Anubias plant attached to an adorably teeny Chambord bottle

[​IMG]

And this cute little bottle that I dug out of the back of a cupboard and is now home to a moss ball

[​IMG]

And in the grand tradition of things never going according to plan, the suction cups on my air curtain have decided they would rather not stick to the glass anymore actually, so I'm going to have to figure out a plan B for keeping it in place. One end is weighed down my the skull bottle (which is very heavy), but the other is just doing it's own thing now :D

[​IMG]

11. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

Looking good. :). You win the prize for most original decor. :D

George Duke-Cohan and magpie like this.
  12. magpie

magpie PetForums VIP

Little update on the chunks! They've got a bit more anubias and java fern now, and I've put some of the floating plants in too which I think has so far gone undetected, so fingers crossed for their survival!

And I've weighed their air curtain down with the bottles which seems to be working so far, AND the elodea has remained planted for several days now!

I feel like they are lulling me into a false sense of security and any day now I'm going to wake up and they'll have trashed the whole tank! :D

[​IMG]

George Duke-Cohan likes this.
  13. George Duke-Cohan

The tank looks amazing. I am loving it. Maybe they have just accepted that the tank will have plants and they can not do anything to stop it. You may find a few members of the resistance but they will soon turn pro plants when they fully see how nice there tank looks. o_O

magpie likes this.
  14. magpie

magpie PetForums VIP

@George Duke-Cohan I thought you might like to see this, I'm quite proud even though elodea is one of the easiest plants to grow! :D It might need some trimming now though, some of the strands are over 3 feet long :eek:

[​IMG]

15. George Duke-Cohan

I am so proud of you. You did it!!!! Yeah trim it and replant it that’s how I save money on my plants. The fish are looking cute as normal. :):D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice