Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Plant based/Vegan/Vegetarian or just after some new ideas?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by rottiepointerhouse, Jun 11, 2017.

1. ouesi

ouesi Guest

That hummus pasta was so good I'm making it for dinner again tonight only I'm also adding some soaked and blended cashews for creaminess. We shall see how the experiment goes.

I wonder if cashews count as seeds or nuts?
    Was thinking about Dr. Furhman's G-BOMBS acronym for getting enough nutrients, and the hummus pasta hits on everything except berries and seeds. If I add cashews does that count? o_O

2. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

My chilli saga continues...

We had chilli twice in a row, which everyone loved!

OH just text to say his lunch was amazing...had made up some 'burritos' with the final lot of chilli...chilli and quinoa in a wrap. Filled it really full..and suggested he eat it on a plate with knife and fork...

So much for complaining about the lentils!

Magyarmum and ouesi like this.
  3. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Ive used it as a risotto sauce before and it was yummy. TBH though my cooking style is usually just randomly throwing whatever I have in my kitchen into things and hoping for the best!LOL:Shy

Having a big batch cooking day today for 2 reasons. 1-to clear out all the old fruit and veg and 2-now I dont have to cook anything for another week and Im lazy!LOL:D Im making
    bean and potato BBQ casserole
    cous cous with roasted veggies and tofu
    chia seed and red onion wm rolls
    apple cinnamon loaf cake
    oh, and a big vat of dog food too!
    (I might do a side of red cabbage, apple and beetroot as I have some cabbage left verging on iffy).

Magyarmum and ouesi like this.
  4. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

As most of the snow had disappeared and it wasn't bitterly cold I decided to make the trip into the city to do a big food shop. Came back with a boot full of groceries,and an empty purse, but at least I won't have to shop again for a couple of weeks. Sadly no kale, but not a problem because I still have a little left and more in the freezer. I did come home with 4 frozen sweet corn cobs and my latest discovery .... a vegan "tuna" spread some of which I had in a sandwich for lunch today and did I enjoy it! Made with chickpeas rather than soya by this Slovakian company.

http://www.natureline.sk/indexen.htm

It was so good I looked up the recipe for making it at home and found this one from Forks over Knives

https://www.forksoverknives.com/recipes/vegan-no-tuna-salad-sandwich/#gs.qZBIDyE

Last night because I had stacks of groceries to pack away, I just had a baked potato topped with chili veggies and kidney beans. Tonight I'm being indulgent and making pizza! Oh and I finally found a recipe for homemade phyllo pastry, something we can't get over here! Can't wait to try it!

ouesi likes this.
  5. ouesi

ouesi Guest

I've been meaning to try that garbanzo "tuna" from Forks over Knives, I saw it ages ago and forgot about it. Thanks for reminding me :)
    I made another batch of garbanzo veggie burgers and I think I've finally got the recipe right. Everyone raved about this last batch and is bugging me to make more. They don't take long to prep, but they do take about an hour in the oven to cook. Plus my food processor is tiny and I really need to double the batch which is going to be complicated.

The other thing I need to figure out is how to make them less "wet". They're really mushy at first and I just need them to be a teeny, tiny bit more solid before I bake them.
    Those of you good with recipes can you look at this and see what you think? Maybe just more rice? Or more mushrooms?

2 cans of prepared garbanzos
    1 cup rice
    onion, garlic, mushrooms, fresh spinach
    Seasoning is:
    cumin, liquid smoke, balsamic vinegar, red pepper flakes, salt, lemon juice, nutritional yeast

6. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

How about adding a little gram flour which is made out of chickpeas anyway. You can either buy it from an Asian store ... It's used a lot to make things like pakora ..... or you can make it yourself with dried chickpeas.

https://www.thespruce.com/making-chickpea-flour-2394971

ouesi likes this.
  7. ouesi

ouesi Guest

That's a good idea, I was thinking of adding some sprouted wheat flour I have, see if that works, but chickpea flour would be good too.
    I wonder if I prepared the garbanzos myself instead of using canned if I'd get a better texture....

8. ouesi

ouesi Guest

I figured I would share on this thread also. Super easy "cheese" sauce for pastas, or as a topping or dip.

Soak 1/2 cup of raw cashews overnight or for about 8 hours (you can actually soak less if you have a strong blender, they're just less creamy).
    1/4 cup nutritional yeast
    1/2 cup prepared garbanzos (chickpeas). I use canned garbanzos and keep a little of the canned water, the 'aquafaba' which helps with the creaminess.
    Juice of 1/2 a lemon
    4 to 6 tablespoons of salsa (just add, mix, taste, then add more if needed).
    salt, onion powder, garlic powder, pepper to taste (same as above, add, mix, taste, and play around with it).

Definitely not low fat/low calorie, but still way better for you than cheese. Plus my teens are certainly not counting calories or fat LOL! They love it :)

9. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

I love autumn!

I have a pot of carrot and red lentil soup in the slow cooker and am just stewing a pot of apples. Yum!

Matrod and ouesi like this.
  10. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

wow, stewed apples sound so nice. Id probably ruin it with ice cream though!LOL:Shy

I really need to get back in the swing of things but all this grey cloudy weather leaves me feeling like I just cant be bothered. Eating lots of sandwiches and bowls of cereal at the moment!:cool:
    On another note just bought myself a pair of faux Ugg boots as I needed some nice warm 'slipper' boots for going out in the garden and shouting at Hannah when she wont stop barking!:rolleyes: First time Ive been shoe shopping and had to think about making sure its all synthetic first (but I found some nice and cheap and more importantly....purple!:Woot).

11. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Just finished my taste test on plant milks coz I was fed up with soya. My new favourite is........ hazelnut milk!:D Tastes sooooo good in hot chocolate and on cereal.
    Althouogh I am curious now why some nuts get 'milked' and not others. I mean peanuts have to be the popular nut and yet no peanut milk!:Bored Would peanut milk taste horrible? I really want to know.:D

12. ouesi

ouesi Guest

I hear ya! I'm so tired of being cold!!!!
    We're in another cold snap, and usually by this time of year we should be in short sleeves. I'm still in sweaters :(

I didn't get anything cooked this past weekend except a giant pot of rice (I do a huge pot of half brown, half white that we use for bowl meals throughout the week). I also got a pot of quinoa made and by Wednesday it was all gone. So we're existing off pasta and frozen veggies with canned beans thrown in. BORING!

I did treat myself to some overpriced veggie sushi at Whole Foods last night, and it was my lunch today. Avocado and mango, was delicious! I may have to figure out how to make that for myself at home! I forgot I like mangos and black beans together, I bet a black bean bowl with mango salsa and avocado would be awesome!! Now I have to wait for mango season to hurry up and get here!

13. Team_Trouble

Team_Trouble PetForums VIP

What is everyone's favourite veggie or bean burger recipe?

14. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

If you really want to know what it tastes like here's a recipe for making peanut milk ....

http://www.onegreenplanet.org/vegan-food/how-to-make-peanut-milk/

My favourite is Buckwheat milk, followed by Spelt or Barley milk none of which I don't think you can buy in the UK but they're very popular in this part of Europe.

15. Jonescat

Jonescat Don't do nothing. Do something.

I always have real trouble making burgers stick together, but I do find butter beans very good as glue :)

Team_Trouble likes this.
  16. ouesi

ouesi Guest

Everyone in my house loves these, I'm still playing with the consistency, but the flavor is YUM!

[​IMG]

2 cans garbanzos
    1 1/2 cup cooked brown rice
    1/2 onion
    8 oz mushrooms
    2 cups fresh spinach
    4 cloves garlic
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/4 cup nutritional yeast
    Cumin
    Worcestershire sauce
    Liquid smoke
    Red pepper flakes
    Salt

Pulse veggies in food processor w/ one can garbanzos
    Pulse rice w/ other can & seasoning <-- this is the part where I think I'm going wrong, I think the rice needs to be whole, not pulsed.
    Mix all together in a big bowl

1/2 cup scoop on to parchment paper, shape (they will be pretty wet)
    Bake 425 30 min each side

17. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

Team_Trouble likes this.
  18. ouesi

ouesi Guest

19. Matrod

Matrod Moderator
    Staff Member

20. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

I've cooked quite a few of her recipes and they've all been very good. I must try this one the next time I've got fresh broccoli ... looks yummy!

https://holycowvegan.net/pasta-broccoli-beans/

It's poured with rain all day here and as I'm definitely in need of comfort food, especially after spending most of my day cleaning kitchen cupboards, I'm having one of my favourite Mauritian dishes Sauteed Potatoes and Cabbage.

http://veganlovlie.com/sauteed-cabbage-potatoes-recipe/

I've added some small button mushrooms to it and am serving it with spelt, vermicelli and tomato.

Cleo38, ouesi and Matrod like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice