Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Plant based/Vegan/Vegetarian or just after some new ideas?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by rottiepointerhouse, Jun 11, 2017.

1. ouesi

ouesi Guest

I lied. Didn't have a chance to cook anything last night. Will try tonight :)

2. Team_Trouble

Team_Trouble PetForums VIP

I am just about to make a curry and realised I've forgotten the coconut milk :rolleyes: any idea what would be a suitable substitute? I have oat milk, would that do? I also have some coconut yogurt

3. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

You can add the coconut yoghourt or if you don't fancy that then leave it out and add a little more chopped tomato. If you have a google you'll find a lot of curry recipes which don't use coconut milk that you could make instead.

Team_Trouble likes this.
  4. ouesi

ouesi Guest

I made the chickpea patties last night and they were a huge hit. Delicious!

Started with 2 stalks of celery, half an onion, and about 2 cups of sliced mushrooms, 4 cloves of garlic, and cooked them down in a small drizzle of balsamic vinegar. Added a handful of fresh spinach and wilted that in.

Threw that in the food processor with about a cup of cooked brown rice, nutritional yeast, cumin, red pepper flakes, and salt.

Added 2 cans of garbanzos, drained, pulsed all that in. This mix alone was delicious - like a hummus, really yummy :)

Shape in to patties, bake at 425 on parchment paper for about 20 minutes each side. Everyone liked 'em and they were all gone before I could take photos :(

LinznMilly and Magyarmum like this.
  5. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Chickpea patties sound lovely, def going on my list to make later!
    Just having bean burgers and baked potatoes today. Also roasted an onion which Im using tomorrow for a chilli...it feels like chilli weather, plus the added benefit of warming your hands on the slow cooker when you walk past!LOL:D

Also made more chocolate courgette cake. (Im kidding myself that all the courgettes, oats and wholemeal flour means its healthy, just nm the chocolate ok!?):Shy

Magyarmum likes this.
  6. ouesi

ouesi Guest

They're really good, definitely going to make a bigger batch and freeze some. The mushrooms and rice added gave 'em a good texture.

I'm going to need to see that chocolate courgette cake recipe :D Sounds yummy!

LinznMilly likes this.
  7. ouesi

ouesi Guest

Potato and veggies stew:

[​IMG]

I don't know if you can see the size of that pot, but that's 10 pounds of potatoes plus a ton and a half of veggies most of which I blended so I don't have to listen to the "I don't like cooked carrots, I only like them raw" comments from the peanut gallery. If I just throw everything in the blender, everyone eats it and doesn't realize they're eating what they say they don't like.

But yeah, a ton of food.
    It will be gone by tomorrow. Boy child just ate two bowls. I left the kitchen, there might be a third bowl eaten here soon.
    I think I need to write a book on how to feed teens on a WFPB diet without going crazy LOL :D

Anyway the recipe:
    Peel and rough chop 10 pounds of potatoes and boil until soft. Keep the water.

In a separate pot, 3 bell peppers, one large onion, 6 to 7 cloves garlic, 4 stalks celery, (all rough chopped), 2 pound bag frozen cauliflower (or one head fresh), about 4 cups chopped mushrooms. Cook until soft. Season with cumin, red pepper flakes & whatever else sounds good.
    Cook covered so the veggies stay in their own juices, then throw everything in the blender.
    Salt and pepper the potatoes, add the blended veggies, add corn, add green beans (broccoli is good too). Mix it up, let it stand as long as you can fight people off, and dig in :)

Jonescat and Magyarmum like this.
  8. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Recipe??:Wideyed whats that!?o_O
    :D I just eyeball everything TBH. Though the basics are oats, wm flour, baking powder, grated courgettes, walnuts, plant milk and chocolate. I use Cadburys hot chocolate (and a packet of choc drops this time) but you could use plain cocoa powder and a natural sweetener to make it healthier.

I like the look of the stew.:) I tend to 'hide' veggies like carrots and courgettes in most things by grating them....not coz I dont like them but coz it makes thing stretch farther! My giant vat of chilli currently cooking has carrots, courgettes and baby corn shoved in so it should last several days.

Picklelily and ouesi like this.
  9. ouesi

ouesi Guest

I'm making this for late lunch, early dinner today. Without the olive oil, and I'll probably use mushrooms instead of sundried tomatoes unless I make it to the store which right now isn't likely.
    I'm excited to see how it turns out, I hadn't thought of using hummus in pasta, and have to say it looks really nice and hearty :)

https://www.bosh.tv/recipes/hummus-pasta

Matrod and Jonescat like this.
  10. Jonescat

Jonescat Don't do nothing. Do something.

Ooh that looks really good. I haven't got any spinach but I do have kale so this might be our tea too :)

ouesi likes this.
  11. ouesi

ouesi Guest

Okay, hummus pasta is what has been missing from my life!!!

[​IMG]

Guys, this was sooooo good!!! I cooked up the onion and mushrooms in balsamic vinegar, a little water, and cumin wilted in the spinach right at the end. The hummus was just plain garbanzos, lemon juice, garlic, and salt. I didn't water it down like in the recipe, and seeing how quickly it dried out, I probably should have, but oh man, the flavor was delicious!

12. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

I’m trying to get in the habit of making soup in the slow cooker on sundays to use up old veges, and so I’ve got some easy lunches/dinners during the week.

Today I have thrown in kumera, book choy, celery and carrots, along with lentils, pearl barley, split peas etc. It smells amazing and I’m looking forward to dinner!

lullabydream and ouesi like this.
  13. Team_Trouble

Team_Trouble PetForums VIP

I have a slow cooker but I am a little afraid of putting anything in it! Anyone got a simple recipe I could try?

Also @ouesi si I have that vegetable stew planned for later this week - blended veggies is a really good idea, especially as I am fussy about textures.

14. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

Oooh, that hummus pasta looks lovely @ouesi ! I keep seeing that on various FB pages & wasn't sure if it would work but it does look yummy.

I haven't stopped eating lovely things lately but what's been great is that I have still lost weight despite stuffing my face so much :D

Last night I made another stew with a mixture of beans (butter, cannellini, pinto & kidney), green lentils, pearl barley, onions, celery, carrots, garlic, vegetable stock, tinned tomatoes & fresh thyme & oregano, cooked in the oven on low for a couple of hours.. I was going to put some veggie sausages in but tbh it really didn't need any added. Was just what was needed after such a cold few days.

On Friday I had one of the Wicked Kitchen vegan pizzas, not strictly a healthy choice but it was in the reduced section & I wanted to try one. It really was nice so would definitely recommend that if anyone fancies pizza but can't be bothered to make one ... as I was on Friday :D

This morning's breakfast was homemade wholemeal granary bread toasted (not made by me but a friend) with chestnut mushrooms that had been marinated overnight (soy sauce, balsamic vinegar, liquid smoke & a tiny drizzle of sesame oil & maple syrup) ....... so nice & really gave them such a nice flavour.

#1814 Cleo38, Mar 4, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
  15. ouesi

ouesi Guest

Oh that sounds yummy, going to have to try that!!

16. Jonescat

Jonescat Don't do nothing. Do something.

P1320075.JPG

This was mine. I think you are right that it needs a little something like balsamic or in our case a bit of chilli sauce. I also put in a handful of whole chick peas that escaped the hummus just for fun. The hummus also wanted to stick when it was heating - you have to keep an eye on it.

There is still some left and I have to say it makes quite a good salad :) I wasn't too sure about hot hummus but I really like it as a cold dish. Thanks for the idea :)

17. ouesi

ouesi Guest

That looks good!!
    And you're right I bet it's really good cold too!

Jonescat likes this.
  18. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Sometimes I do wonder with my OH...

Today I made chilli how I always make it...either with quorn mince or lentils.

So first time OH offered to help so he can learn to make it...recipes on my notice board...mainly for the spices.
    Start cooking..I prep so much on the job then transfer to slow cooker. Exactly how I did when I used meat. Just habit no real need I guess..but there you go

OH in charge of hob whilst I make up the spice mix. Do this, that etc. Tell him to add the lentils...where he goes what are those..they don't look nice. I say nothing

It's 50/50 what I cook with...he's not said a blooming thing when eating the chilli at the end of the day. I cook with what's in the house at the time .We make plenty which he takes to work too to eat for lunch!

The irony to this..is he's mainly responsible for food shopping as I was working weekends...then too ill to go. He's picked up lentils often and not said a word!

ouesi likes this.
  19. ouesi

ouesi Guest

:Hilarious:Hilarious:Hilarious

Sounds about right.
    My OH and son both swear up and down that they hate celery. Yet if I hide celery in things by blending the snot out of it, they love the flavor. Daughter is the same with carrots. "Don't put carrots in it mom, you know I hate carrots." I put the carrots in, blended so no one knows, daughter announces this is the best stew I've made yet. :Bored

20. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Yeah have done finally grated carrots..that my children didn't like for years too! They have eaten them quite happily!

ouesi likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice