Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Plant based/Vegan/Vegetarian or just after some new ideas?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by rottiepointerhouse, Jun 11, 2017.

1. rottiepointerhouse

rottiepointerhouse PetForums VIP

Joel Khan (cardiologist) in a short video not mincing his words about CRAP food.

2. rottiepointerhouse

Another yummy looking meal from forks over knives - Butternut squash lasagna roll ups.

3. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

oooh, I like the look of those! Dont have a food processor though....I wonder how to make breadcrumbs without one, or what to substitute?o_O

Also looks tasty, almost like a deconstructed veggie lasagne!:D Might try that too, only with sweet potatoes instead coz I hate trying to cut up butternut squash!:Shy

Working my way through a giant vat of vegetable curry at the moment though. :Smug

4. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

I make breadcrumbs using a cheese grater.

lullabydream and Magyarmum like this.
  5. rottiepointerhouse

https://nutritionstudies.org/center...land-hospital-new-nutrition-research-program/

Initial research done through Highland’s Weight Management & Lifestyle Center will focus on nutrition and cancer. The pilot project will be a first-of-its-kind study that looks at the effects of plant-based nutrition in patients with advanced breast cancer, who are also receiving conventional therapy. The Center plans to do additional studies on nutrition as an intervention in a variety of diseases, partnering with experts in various specialties at the University of Rochester.

6. rottiepointerhouse

I leave the slices of bread out to go a bit stale and just crumble them up or put them in a bag and go over it with a rolling pin although I've got one of those small processors now (about the size of a 400 g tin of beans) so might use that to be fancy.

7. rottiepointerhouse

Please share/recommend to any diabetics you know

8. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Should buy a copy for my brother but he likes his junky animal products too much to give them up!:rolleyes:

Been bad today in that my cooking used white flour!:Nailbiting In my defense though I have virtually no food in the house and it was all that was left coz it never gets used. Think I'll just buy twice as much wholemeal in the future as I prefer it in everything.
    Made chocolate courgette cake for me, carrot cake for the dogs, also Googled bhaji's as I have curry on the go at the moment and they sounded straightforward so made red onion and sweet potato bhaji's as a side (they smell gorgeous).:)

Cleo38 and LinznMilly like this.
  9. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

It's been so cold here I haven't ventured out apart from quick trips up to the woodshed to collect logs for the fire. I've kept my self "gainfully employed" by doing some cooking. Made a sort of minestrone soup for my lunch and some homemade rye bread and rolls to go with it.
    DSC01357.JPG

Sunday night dined on a really delicious Moroccan lentil and chickpea stew seasoned with Ras el Hanout served over spelt and vermicelli.

DSC01373.JPG

I'm off now to make some ginger nut biscuits (comfort food) and tonight I'm making Turmeric Millet and Vegetables with a side dish of garlicky Broccoli and Mushroom.

http://www.spiciefoodie.com/2013/03/02/turmeric-and-vegetable-millet-gluten-free-side-dish/

http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/garlic-spiked-broccoli-and-mushrooms-65861#activity-feed

How's everyone else coping with this weather?

#1789 Magyarmum, Feb 27, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
  10. ouesi

ouesi Guest

We're having our early spring craziness where you need to defrost your windshield in the morning and by the afternoon you need the AC. Trees are budding, pollen is about to blanket everything...

Anyway, food-wise, I had a high mileage week last week running and had a couple days where I knew I wasn't getting enough food so I'm looking for some heartier meals.

Tried the Forks over Knives nuggets and they were lovely just a little more labor intensive for my liking. The coating in breading was overkill IMO. I'm making them again tonight except burger sized with mushrooms blended in with the garbanzos and rice and no breading. Everyone loved the nuggets so I'm hoping this version is a hit too. I think the mushrooms will help the texture (and add some more good nutrients).

Will report back :)

Magyarmum likes this.
  11. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

I’ve had some yummy meals recently! On the weekend I made a big pot of vegetable soup with lentils and pearl barley and froze it into portions. It’s so yum!

I also found some vegan patties - black bean and kumera- in the supermarket that are ideal for quick meals. I had one in a wrap the other day with salad veges.

I have a question though. Before I became vegetarian I used to use chicken stock in risottos and soups etc. Obviously I don’t want to use chicken stock any more, but I don’t really like vegetable stock very much - I’ve tried oxo cubes, liquid stock and concentrate. Is there anything else I can substitute instead of stock?

12. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Use mixed herbs, garlic, marmite and salt and pepper.

Veg oxo contains:

Nutrition Information. Salt, Potato Starch, Wheat Flour(with added Calcium, Iron, Niacin, Thiamin), Flavour Enhancers (Monosodium Glutamate, Disodium 5'-ribonucleotides), Flavourings (contain Celery), Palm Oil, Dried Glucose Syrup, Yeast Extract(contains Barley), Dried Tomato, Dried Herbs (Parsley, Thyme, Bay), Sugar ...

:eek:

McKenzie likes this.
  13. ouesi

ouesi Guest

I don't like veggie stock either, every time I try some it's just gross to me...

Generally I just use water and have fun with my spices. I'll also use the water from canned beans or canned corn. Water from boiled potatoes is good too. I also use salsa a lot, I buy a brand that's basically just a jar of tomatoes and veggies, no preservatives, and I use that for the base in a lot of dishes.

LinznMilly likes this.
  14. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Thanks but I’m not sure that’s quite the taste I’m after.

ETA maybe without the garlic?

I’m not very good with spices, I never know what goes with what.

#1794 McKenzie, Feb 27, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
  15. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

I often use yeast extract and water with a mix of herbs and spices which vary according to what I'm cooking I like the Meridian yeast extract with added B12 best. It has a more mellow flavour than Marmite and if I'm making shepherds pie or a dish with lots of mushrooms in it, the extract gives it a lovely "meaty" flavour I think I'm correct in saying the Meridian is an Australian company so you should be able to buy it in NZ

http://www.meridianfoods.co.uk/Prod...-Savoury-Extracts/Natural/Yeast-Extract-340g/.

And my dinner tonight ...... Millet risotto with courgette, red pepper, celery and bok choy plus a side dish of sauteed mushrooms and broccoli

DSC01384.JPG

LinznMilly, Cleo38, Jonescat and 2 others like this.
  16. ouesi

ouesi Guest

Whatever tastes good to you :)

I usually go by smell. To me most spices smell like what they taste like, so I'll taste whatever I'm cooking, smell the spice, and if it seems like it would go together, add it.
    Basically you just have to experiment and get to know what you like. Don't have to go crazy, I only use a base of maybe 5 or 6 spices, and generally only use 2 or so in each recipe because IMO the food itself adds a lot of nice flavor.

Just my own tastes... Cumin goes very well with "meaty" dishes like beans, lentils, mushrooms add in a little balsamic vinegar too. Celery seed is great for potato based dishes, love it with garlic in mashed potatoes.
    Curry spice in stir fries, I also like red pepper flakes in veggies. Just a little goes a long way.
    Paprika is another one that does well with beans or in bean burgers. A little goes a long way especially with younger kids eating it.
    Basil, parsley tend to "lighten" heavier dishes. I also like lemon or lime juice to enhance the flavors already in there.

And don't forget good old garlic powder and onion powder added in to all sorts of things helps the flavor, reach for those before the salt and you'll find yourself needing far less salt too.

LinznMilly and Lurcherlad like this.
  17. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I didn’t mean all at once ;)

LinznMilly likes this.
  18. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Oh!!! :Hilarious:Hilarious:Hilarious

Magyarmum and Lurcherlad like this.
  19. Jonescat

Jonescat Don't do nothing. Do something.

I make my own stock and freeze it in tubs, but also sometimes use just a teaspoon of tomato puree in a measuring jug of water or a little wine or a small amount of chilli sauce.

I do use stock cubes sometimes too - usually Kallo brand - as it comes in very distinguishable flavours - mushroom, onion, tomato or veg I think so you can get one that suits what you are cooking. I do like the mushroom one for mushroom risotto.

Lemon or lime juice also pep things up and reduces the need for salt.

LinznMilly, ouesi and Magyarmum like this.
  20. Jonescat

Jonescat Don't do nothing. Do something.

Soup! I have ditched my lunchtime sandwich in favour of soup for now. Today's is two carrots, an onion, garlic, a sweet potato,a red pepper and some swede, a handful of red lentils and half a lemon with a bit of ground cumin and thyme. I am aiming for a steaming orange bowl of warmth to remind me the sun will come back :)

Magyarmum likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice