Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Plant based/Vegan/Vegetarian or just after some new ideas?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by rottiepointerhouse, Jun 11, 2017.

1. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

I suppose it just felt a little sad thinking that this child was feeling left out or looking for kindred spirits.

Cleo38 likes this.
  2. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

I suppose for some people it might matter but it never really did for me, I was obsessed with horses & riding though so that was the first thing I ever asked anyone about! :D

I know my nan worried that i would get picked on at school for being 'different' but unfortunately kids get picked on all sorts of reasons. I don't really remember people making a big deal out of it even though it wasn't very common at the time but then I suppose as children you are oblivious to lots of things & don't seem to get as annoyed or upset about comments as maybe you do when older

LinznMilly and Paddypaws like this.
  3. ouesi

ouesi Guest

My kids come from a weirdo family, it's a very small community, everyone knows me because I work closely with the community and everyone knows I'm a weird tree hugging hippie mama married to a tatted up vegan policeman :D
    What's nice is that everyone also pretty much accepts me and in turn my kids. Our kids have their own brand of weird but no one really bats an eye about it.

Absolutely there are moments that are hard. Both kids have had incidents where you can tell being outsiders in one way or another is difficult for them, but at the end of the day, I'd rather my kids get used to not fitting in, than the other way around. Seems healthier somehow.

Paddypaws, LinznMilly and Magyarmum like this.
  4. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

I'm quite sure when I first went to school at 4.5 years old I must have been a real pain in the butt to my teachers. I was the only one in the class that could read fluently and for the first year I was stuck at the back of the class reading Black Beauty or something similar, I was also left handed which was quite rare 70 years ago and none of the teachers knew how to cope with a left handed child especially when it came to writing or needlework.

On top of it all because I didn't like the school lunches I told the headmistress I was Jewish like some of the other girls who didn't attend morning prayers and brought sandwiches for lunch. I got away with that for a couple of months until the headmistress asked my mother if I would be staying off school for one of the Jewish holidays.

Did I get into trouble and shortly afterwards changed schools where the first thing I did was to inform the staff that I was a vegetarian! I think that lasted for around 6 months before I was discovered!

5. ouesi

ouesi Guest

I just tried to search and see if that proposed law in Italy passed or not, but had to stop because of the number of articles and news stories warning against feeding children and infants a vegan diet. Ugh!
    Where are the articles warning against processed meats that we *know* cause cancer? Yet kids are raised on hot dogs and ham sandwiches and no one bats an eye?
    What about the fact that soda companies like Pepsi and Coca Cola are allowed to advertise IN public schools and have vending machines again, on public funded property, in public schools? How is that not freaking people out.

Ugh... should not have gone down that rabbit hole!!
    I'll have to do extra yoga this evening!

6. Matrod

Matrod Moderator
    Staff Member

Dinner tonight, roasted beetroot, onions, cauliflower & chickpeas with some salad, tomatoes, lemon, sumac & black onion seeds with a little olive oil, I had it with some homemade flatbread & hummus, it was scrumptious :)
    IMG_0093.JPG

Cleo38, Magyarmum, baubbles and 3 others like this.
  7. rottiepointerhouse

rottiepointerhouse PetForums VIP

Wow - Daily Mail running a good news story about plant based diets

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-5387293/Going-VEGAN-prevent-diabetes.html

Going vegan can prevent overweight adults from developing type 2 diabetes, an 'important' new study has concluded.

Following a plant-based diet can boost insulin sensitivity - considered the driving factor of the potentially deadly condition, in fat people.

And scientists also found being vegan, which is soaring in popularity, can improve beta-cell function - which store and release insulin.

@KatieandOliver might be worth showing it to your Dad.

8. Team_Trouble

Team_Trouble PetForums VIP

Great, I will thanks! Unfortunately their paper of choice is the daily mail :Bag

9. Phoenix Rising

Phoenix Rising PetForums VIP

There was a program on UK TV about red meats being a Grade 1 Carcinogen and I've seen it reported in papers so was surprised to see a recent TV advert saying pork medallions were as healthy as chicken! Isn't Pork classed as a 'red meat'? I assumed so as bacon and sausages were in the list along with beef,lamb etc as Grade 1 Carcinogens?

I haven't had red meat for over 6 months so quite proud of myself as lamb was my all time favourite,along with bacon butties! (not in the same meal)

As its Ash Wednesday I'm making my parents favourite Ash and dumplings (like stew with diced lamb,potatoes and veg in a tomato soup instead of gravy) Doing a small pan for me without the lamb and veggie stock instead of meat stock. it's challenging to stick to when I'm having to cook meat dishes for my parents,who are elderly and won't eat anything other than what my mum's always eaten and cooked. They're of the generation where everyone got fed the same meal too so with my mum having dementia too, she doesn't understand why I'm sometimes sitting down with a different meal to what they're having. Nearly every dinnertime I'm having to explain I went vegetarian over 6 months ago now, it gets exhausting! (emotionally) as she then won't stop going on about it for the rest of the meal!

#1709 Phoenix Rising, Feb 14, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  10. rottiepointerhouse

Processed meat such as bacon/ham/sausages etc is classed as Grade 1 but red meat is Grade 2A

http://www.who.int/features/qa/cancer-red-meat/en/

1. What do you consider as red meat?
    Red meat refers to all mammalian muscle meat, including, beef, veal, pork, lamb, mutton, horse, and goat.

2. What do you consider as processed meat?
    Processed meat refers to meat that has been transformed through salting, curing, fermentation, smoking, or other processes to enhance flavour or improve preservation. Most processed meats contain pork or beef, but processed meats may also contain other red meats, poultry, offal, or meat by-products such as blood.

Examples of processed meat include hot dogs (frankfurters), ham, sausages, corned beef, and biltong or beef jerky as well as canned meat and meat-based preparations and sauces.

ouesi and Phoenix Rising like this.
  11. rottiepointerhouse

12. rottiepointerhouse

Loving Jane and Ann Esselstyn's videos - this one is about preparing mangos which might be useful for those of us in the UK who are not that familiar with them.

baubbles likes this.
  13. rottiepointerhouse

Explaining how to eat a WFPB diet

14. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

I've stopped buying mangoes and avocados for the time being, A decent sized mango costs about £3 and a small avo costs around £1.50. The last two mangoes I bought didn't taste very nice and the avocados were rotten inside by the time they'd softened enough to eat them so I'm giving them a miss and eating strawberries and veggies like fennel and baby bok choy instead.

15. ouesi

ouesi Guest

Thought I'd share a "too busy to cook" alternative.
    Needed lunch for today and tomorrow, had a busy evening last night, ended up eating out at Jason's Deli (all you can eat salad bar so easy to stay WFPB) but still needed something for lunch.
    Browsed around in the fridge and cabinets, ended up dumping a can of black eyed peas, some rice I already had cooked up, salsa, cumin, and mixed it all up and divided it in to two containers. Then I threw some fresh baby spinach and slices of button mushrooms. When I heat the whole thing up in the microwave, the spinach and mushrooms cook just enough. Was actually really good, and ended up with all but the last 2 GBOMBS in one meal. Not bad!

rottiepointerhouse and Magyarmum like this.
  16. DFP

DFP PetForums Junior

I had this for dinner last night;

https://hurrythefoodup.com/roasted-cauliflower-curry/

Really nice, but a bit too tomatoey for me, so I put a load of natural yoghurt in at the end of the cooking time. Eaten with homemade paratha bread, it was lovely. Not dairy free, but I'm not aiming for that. Tonight's dinner is roasted butternut squash with leeks and mushrooms and a side salad. The squash is currently roasting in the oven and smells divine. :)

Cleo38 likes this.
  17. picaresque

picaresque Mongrelist

18. ouesi

ouesi Guest

Looks nice :)
    Just wanted to clarify though, on that recipe/blog it says pregnant women shouldn't eat celery seed. As far as I understand, the recommendation is for avoiding supplements, but not the amount you would add to a dish in seasoning. IOW, don't take a celery seed supplement while pregnant, but feel free to use celery seed as seasoning while pregnant.

19. DFP

DFP PetForums Junior

TBH, I barely even skimmed that part as I'm not, and will never be, pregnant, so my mind kind of ignored it. But yes, always good to have proper nutritional info to hand for those who are/planning to be pregnant.

20. rottiepointerhouse

picaresque likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice