Plant based/Vegan/Vegetarian or just after some new ideas?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by rottiepointerhouse, Jun 11, 2017.

1. ouesi

ouesi Wag More Bark Less

I thought it would be harder to go oil free than it has been. I still have a jar of very nice olive oil I use sparingly (probably once every two weeks or so) just 'cause I don't want it to go to waste, but for someone who used to use olive oil in every single meal I cook, I really don't miss it. The people I cook for don't seem to notice oil missing either.

Now, we do eat nuts and avocados fairly regularly. I think the protocols are different for heat disease patients, but in this house that's not an issue, and we're pretty active and just need those calories. In whole food form (and not too much) there is definitely room for the more fatty plant based foods.

Meh, it's not a competition :D
    I'm with you on the motivation. Mine was originally kindness to animals and the environment, but I've come to believe in health in more holistic terms. My own personal health has consequences outside my own personal comfort.

Granted, my own personal comfort is a big motivator too. Yesterday I had a piece of very non whole food, non vegan birthday cake, and had heartburn about 30 minutes later, and then woke up today with a sore tonsil. Don't know how much the cake had to do with the tonsil, but in hindsight, eating the cake (which actually didn't taste as good as I was expecting) was not worth it. It will be easier to say no next time :)

LinznMilly likes this.
  2. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

I think we all do what we can, what we feel comfortable with & what suits us. For me that's not going completely oil free either, I use a small amount of vegan spread when I have toast & peanut butter or marmite, I also have the odd serving of vegan cheese & there is no way I am giving up dark chocolate, I don't eat much but what I do have I love every piece!

I am eating a lot better than previously, I have lost weight, feel better in myself & am also more active so am happy with my choices atm. It might be that I do make further changes but it's not something I'm thinking of atm. Am similar to you in that it's the animal cruelty thing that is foremost in my diet but then followed by health as I have had dangerously high blood pressure in the past & it scared me what could happen if it continued.

LinznMilly likes this.
  3. ouesi

ouesi Wag More Bark Less

I've recently been made aware of a movement in the Christian community to eat what basically ends up being a WFPB diet.
    The Daniel Fast is based on the prophet Daniel's experiences as recorded in the bible. One of my friends who is a very devout Christian said her pastor encouraged the entire congregation to do this. She was telling me about what they can and can't eat and I was like "that's a whole food plant based diet!"

https://ultimatedanielfast.com/ultimate-daniel-fast-food-guidelines/

There seem to be several interpretations of it, some include oil, some don't. Some allow fish, others don't... But in general it's basically a WFPB diet. Pretty cool I thought, just another avenue to encourage personal, community, and environmental health :)

4. rottiepointerhouse

rottiepointerhouse PetForums VIP

I think it helps to look at the WFPB oil free thing as a spectrum (see the work of Dr Dean Ornish), its one you can move up and down, you don't have to hit a set point and stay there (as long as you don't have heart disease), go as far as you are happy going and to where you feel you can sustain the healthy changes you have made. I aim to be as far along the spectrum as I can be and as I've done that my tastes have changed so much that I no longer enjoy food cooked in oil. I hardly eat toast anymore but when I do then I have a bit of vegan spread although I eat bread rolls with soup and dunk them so no fat required and when I make sandwiches which is not often I tend to use mashed banana so again no oil required. I will use a bit of sesame oil in a stir fry if I want to but we mainly get our fat from nuts/nut spreads/nut salad dressings etc. I don't see a problem with a square of plain chocolate now and then either as long as its not becoming a compulsion/addiction and you stay in control of when you have it. For me being WFPB is about health first and foremost, the ethical and environmental aspects are really important too but I could cover those bases by being vegan and still eating junk food which I'm just not into. Spring is coming and lighter nights/better weather so hopefully you can come out of hibernation @catz4m8z and move further back along the spectrum.

LinznMilly likes this.
  5. rottiepointerhouse

Looks good although I'd find the no bread much harder than no oil.

LinznMilly likes this.
  6. ouesi

ouesi Wag More Bark Less

Some versions allow whole grain bread :)

LinznMilly likes this.
  7. Jonescat

Jonescat Don't do nothing. Do something.

One of my favourite snacks is red lentil dhal on wholemeal toast. I learnt protein complementarity many years ago, before thinking moved on, and lots of the meals I made back then are still tasy and good, and as it happens nearly fat free.I have also moved to rape seed oil for the most part. Eating is very complicated and each move I make I try to balance health, environment and animal welfare concerns.

8. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Submissive Servant to My Lord and Lady Mutts
    Staff Member

Just catching up on this, as I've been busy with the Brexit thread lately.

@lymorelynn that cake looks gorgeous.

@ouesi , that veggie stew looks to die for!! :Hungry

Ethical and environmental concerns are tops for me. Health is an added bonus.

lymorelynn likes this.
  9. ouesi

ouesi Wag More Bark Less

Not to toot my own horn, but I'm very proud of myself! It was delicious when I made it, and today, one day later, even better. The mushrooms and eggplant give it a "meaty" feel, and the flavors all together are delicious. I will definitely be making this one again!

LinznMilly likes this.
  10. Teddy-dog

Teddy-dog PetForums Senior

We made a burrito bowl yesterday which was so yummy! Definitely one to be cooked again (in fact I’m having it for lunch as there was leftovers)
    Roasted buttersquash, corn on the cob, rice garnished with chillis and coriander, a mushed up avocado to make a sauce and refried beans made with garlic, paprika, tomatoes, chipotle paste, kidney beans and red wine vinegar :)
    Oh and lime wedge 128DAAE3-CF03-4AEC-BF1B-894322EAFD9F.jpeg

WillowT, Matrod, Jonescat and 5 others like this.
  11. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

That looks lovely @Teddy-dog, I love roasted butternut squash & could eat it every day. I keep meaning to have corn-on-the cob but every time I buy some I end up giving them to my chickens as they love it so much.

Teddy-dog and Magyarmum like this.
  12. Teddy-dog

Teddy-dog PetForums Senior

Haha you must have some very happy chickens :)

I never used to like corn on the cob. I always had been given tinned corn or frozen sweetcorn and I never liked it, then I started to have proper corn on the cob and I'm converted now!

13. ouesi

ouesi Wag More Bark Less

It's a cold, raining morning here. Made a big pot of oatmeal with steel cut oats. Kitchen smells lovely, and hopefully this will get us all warmed up and ready to face the day :D

Easy, simple, but good :)

LinznMilly and Magyarmum like this.
  14. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

If it's any consolation I'm not as wholefoody as many on this thread either and doubt whether I'll ever be. My problem is that many of the food products available in Hungary are imported from other East European countries, mainly Poland and are labelled in that language which I don't understand. It makes for difficult label reading and I'm fairly certain sometimes I eat things that I shouldn't! The other difficulty is that the supermarket staff don't seem to be clear about the differences between, gluten/lactose free and vegetarian/vegan and particularly when you go to the chilled food counter you'll find for example, the bio cheese and milk are all muddled up with the vegan ones! It always makes me laugh because in Tesco you'll find the hummus alongside ham and cheese sandwiches and pre-prepared meals?

I do use oil .. sunflower/grapeseed/olive oil as well as coconut oil for cooking but have made a real effort to only use the minimum. Since discovering Buckwheat "milk" I no longer have dairy. Eggs and cheese I've never liked and apart from a sprinkling on pasta and the occasional cheese and tomato toasty. Where I do fall down is with yoghourt which I love as my after dinner pudding. Alpro are the only company who seem to market the dairy free ones, but they're made with soy which I can't tolerate. I'm trying to kick the habit by eating fruit or something like semolina pudding but I'm finding it hard going.

Last night I had arborio rice with home made sun dried tomatoes and Mauritian Red Kidney bean and mushroom Rougaille.

DSC01278.JPG

Today I went shopping to Tesco and stocked up with Kale, Spinach Broccolli and Bok Choy. Avos and Mangoes are so expensive at the moment I gave them a miss and bought strawberries, grapes and pears instead. I also bought 2 Schnitzels made by a Dutch company called Vivera. I had one tonight with spicy potatoes, peppers, carrots and cabbage. I was actually surprised because it tasted and had the texture of chicken and I really enjoyed it. Not that I shall be buying it too often because they cost £3.50, something I didn't discover until after I paid!

https://www.vivera.com/en/assortment

Jonescat, Teddy-dog, Matrod and 2 others like this.
  15. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

Just seen something on FB regarding kale 'crisps' (dehydrated kale basically) & wondered if anyone here had a dehydrator or tried doing their own dehydrated veggies as well as fruit. I have one for the dogs which I use all the time making treats out of all manner of disgusting things but I wouldn't put anything of mine in there as it is obviously full of animal fat. Tbh I've never thought about getting one for myself but maybe I should

16. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

I'z gotta dehydrator which I use mainly to make treats for the dogs. Mine's a Sencor with 5 trays and is very easy to clean. Last summer I made sun dried tomatoes and I've also done bananas and apples. I haven't tried doing kale, but I'm pretty certain you can do it in the oven. Whenever I do roast veggies if I've got some I always add kale to the mix and it comes out really crispy. My favourite though is to throw a handful of cooked chickpeas in the oven and roast them until they're crisp!

Cleo38 likes this.
  17. rottiepointerhouse

Dr Greger is always raving about his dehydrator and all the stuff he does in it for snacks. His cookbook has a recipe for cheesy kale crisps

1 bunch kale thick stems removed
    1/2 Cup/75g cashew nuts soaked for 3 hrs then drained
    1/2 Cup/85g roasted red pepper
    3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
    1 tsp rice vinegar
    1 tsp white miso paste (guess any paste would do)
    1/4 tsp tumeric
    1 tsp smoked paprika

Wash and dry very well the kale leaves. Blend 2 tablespoons water and the remaining ingredients until smooth (should be thick enough to coat the kale) if too thick add more water. Pour sauce onto kale and toss to coat. Bake at 180 c for 20 mins then remove any really crisp bits/turn remaining and bake for another 2-5 mins.

Cleo38 likes this.
  18. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

I haven't made any roasted chick peas yet, definitely on my list of things to try as they sound delicious.

Tonight's dinner was harissa glazed aubergine with a mix of roasted veg, lentils pinto beans, quinoa, onion, garlic, chilli & cumin .... was bloody lovely! 20180210_185352.jpg

Jonescat, LinznMilly, ouesi and 3 others like this.
  19. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

roasted chickpeas are lovely, but very moreish. I have tried to bake kale in the oven to get crisps but ended up with sad little burnt things!:Shy
    I keep meaning to get a dehydrator though for dog treats, I really want to try sweet potato chews as Im pretty sure they would love those.

Super lazy today and I just made wraps for tea. (wholewheat wraps with hummus, homemade ratatouille, spinach and cucumber) very tasty!:)

LinznMilly and Cleo38 like this.
  20. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

@Cleo38 I am sure @Nettles does Kale in the oven as a snack...mentioned pages and pages ago on here but am sure if she's notified of this tag she will tell you how much she likes them.

Magyarmum and LinznMilly like this.