Plant based/Vegan/Vegetarian or just after some new ideas?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by rottiepointerhouse, Jun 11, 2017.

1. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

Finally did the aubergine bacon this morning & it was bloody lovely! I'd dropped my car off at the garage for a service & ran back. It's only 2.2 miles but apart from the initial short warm up walk I ran it all which I was very proud of myself for doing.

So I treated myself to an aubergine 'bacon' sandwich with grilled mushrooms, spinach & tomato sauce on wholemeal bread..... soooo nice. No pics as I was too hungry to stop & do that & couldn't wait to start stuffing my face ... not even any for the dogs despite them doing their best RSPCA faces :D

#1641 Cleo38, Feb 5, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
  2. Nettles

Nettles PetForums VIP

Oops. It wasn’t a huge batch (about 4 large bowls)
    4663A92A-9762-45F4-832B-BC022CDCA910.jpeg
    but had a lot more onion than I would normally use, plus garlic and smoked paprika which I’ve never added before, so isn’t as mild flavoured as my usual leek and potato soup normally is.
    I’ll give it another go on tonight’s spicy pasta and see if that’s any better.

3. DFP

DFP PetForums Junior

I'm cooking mushroom stew in the slow cooker for tonight. The vegetable kofta I made yesterday was fab, will definitely cook it again, but I might flatten the kofta mix into patties and shallow fry in spray oil, to be healthier.

LinznMilly and whompingwillow like this.
  4. Yummmmmm
    I don’t come to this thread very often, but now I want slow cooked mushroom stew!!

5. DFP

DFP PetForums Junior

The recipe's for mushroom cobbler, I'm just leaving out the scones. Though I may throw a bit of puff pastry on the top, as I have some shop-bought stuff left over from a previous day that needs using up.

LinznMilly and whompingwillow like this.
  6. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

Snap! I made a "meat" pie last night for dinner which is basically a mushroom stew with puff pastry on the top. I make it with chunks of portobello mushrooms and put red wine, plus yeast extract in mine to give it a "meaty" flavour. I had it with home grown potatoes and fresh broccoli.

DSC01206.JPG

7. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

Oh now that sounds lovely!!!

LinznMilly likes this.
  8. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

As I was working from home today I had a bit more time to do some cooking (hence the lovely breakfast). So for dinner tonight I had a sort of lasagne type dish but made with thinly sliced potatoes (as they needed using) rather than pasta sheets.
    I made a sauce with tinned tomatoes, garlic, chilli & harissa seasoning then added fried onions, mushrooms & courgettes.
    I layered it (with spinach as well) then added a small amount of grated vegan mozzarella on top & baked.
    Was so nice! I had a huge portion with spring greens & peas & feel stuffed now.
    Looks a bit of a dollop on the plate but tasted alot nicer than it looks :D
    20180205_182512.jpg

#1648 Cleo38, Feb 5, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
    LinznMilly and ouesi like this.
  9. ouesi

ouesi Guest

I got some cooking done yesterday. Have a lovely bean/quinoa/veggie stew
    Then I made some eggplant with cumin and garlic, caramelized some onions in balsamic vinegar, and cooked up some thin slices of bell pepper. Threw the whole thing together with some fresh spinach. The eggplant gave it a "meaty" feel. Kids ate it in tacos with black beans and rice. OH and I ate it over rice, yum!

LinznMilly, Magyarmum and Cleo38 like this.
  10. rottiepointerhouse

rottiepointerhouse PetForums VIP

We're away for a few days break in Dartmoor. I make double of some meals and freeze them so I've got at least 4 or 5 in the freezer to bring when we come away which saves me thinking about what to cook and whether I've got everything I need here in the way of ingredients. We've had a chilli & rice, a soya bean goulash with baked potatoes and broccoli/kale, chickpea burgers with spicy potato wedges and salad and still have a chickpea curry & rice for tomorrow. Also made a big batch of bean & veg soup so we have something warm to come home to after freezing cold walks out on the moor. Banana and walnut sandwiches are my new favourite thing too :)

Lovely to see so many people enjoying making plant based meals.

Magyarmum and LinznMilly like this.
  11. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

I keep forgetting to post my dinners.

Tonight was a very yummy throw-together of balsamic roasted mushrooms and tomatoes, with lightly fried sweet potato and black beans. And I’ve got leftovers for lunch tomorrow :Smug

88CADA13-D042-4FB0-94F3-77AE67476DDD.jpeg

Matrod, LinznMilly, Cleo38 and 4 others like this.
  12. ouesi

ouesi Guest

I'm on a huge eggplant kick right now too. I'm really liking it on sandwiches. And yes, the "bacon" is a great sandwich filler!

I got that idea off FB, I have to say, there are some good recipes on FB and of course several that need a couple tweaks and are also great for a WFPB diet.
    Though I'm also bombarded with 'keto' recipes since apparently that too falls under healthy eating. Can't see how, the recipes seem to all be about cheese, eggs, cream, more cheese and a token chive. Even when I was eating cheese I sure didn't want that much of it! :eek:

13. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

Oh me too, this has made me realise that I don't use aubergines enough or in more exciting ways. I'm also really liking the harissa paste I bought so am thinking of this recipe next week as I have ingredients for a Thai green curry that need using first so maybe plan this next aubergine dish for the weekend .... looks lovely!

https://www.thevegspace.co.uk/recipe-harissa-roasted-chickpeas-and-aubergine-with-sweet-potato-mash/

14. Matrod

Matrod Slave to an OAP
    Staff Member

Me as well, I’ve never enjoyed it so much as I have lately, I’m planning an aubergine based curry for Saturday night, can’t wait!

LinznMilly, Cleo38 and ouesi like this.
  15. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

I'm not a great lover of aubergine although I really like the "bacon". I forgot to mention that I did some slices of portobello "bacon" mushrooms which tasted good but next time I'll slice them thinner. For my next "trick" I'm going to try and make "bacon" from thin slices of courgette.

I was so cross this evening when I was cooking my dinner because I dropped a nearly full jar of Za'atar seasoning which smashed into smithereens on the tiles. One of my favourite spices and one I can only order from the UK. I do have the recipe to make it though but just the thought of it being wasted is annoying!

LinznMilly, Cleo38 and Matrod like this.
  16. ouesi

ouesi Guest

Strangely I'm not a huge fan of the taste of aubergine, but my Italian grandmother taught me to salt it first, let it sit, then rinse the salt off. It's supposed to take the bitterness out. These last few batches I haven't salted the aubergine, just cooked the snot out of them, and that seemed to work too :D

Courgette I love in all forms. One of my favorite ways to make it is stewed with onions tomatoes and okra. Yum! I bet "bacon" courgette would be even better than bacon aubergine.

LinznMilly and Magyarmum like this.
  17. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

I made some courgette "bacon" for lunch today. I used my potato peeler to make the slices and cooked them in my cast iron skillet. One thing I found is that if you're not using oil in the pan the slices need to be a little thicker other wise they break up when you're trying to turn them. They tasted lovely and I had most of mine in a BLT sandwich with a little hummus as well. I think I prefer them to aubergine "bacon".

I found this on one of my google searches and thought it looked interesting ....

https://cookieandkate.com/2014/how-to-make-coconut-bacon/

Tonight I had spaghetti with beans, kale, black olives and capers cooked in tomato sauce and a side salad of stir fry turnip and turnip greens ... very moorish!

18. ouesi

ouesi Guest

Dinner tonight:
    [​IMG]

Veggie stew with lentils, bell pepper, spinach, mushrooms, eggplant, onion, garlic.
    Seasoned with cumin, red pepper flakes, and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar. Very yummy :)

19. rottiepointerhouse

rottiepointerhouse PetForums VIP

ouesi and LinznMilly like this.
  20. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Some tasty looking meals there!
    Im giving up trying to be totally oil free, its too sad and depressing!:D I need my sunflower spread on toast and the occasional bit of vegan cheese.
    I also caved last night and made chips but put a little bit of oil on them...which turned out to be a fail. They actually get crispier and crunchier if I bake them with just a little sprinkle of water on.o_O

Treating myself to an Indian today too, probably full of bad things but Im freezing and possibly going into hibernation until the sun comes out so, meh.:Smug
    TBH Im not as wholefoody as alot of people on this thread, for me it goes animal cruelty-->environment-->health.
    As long as no animals were harmed in the making of my dinner Im happy!:Happy

Matrod, Cleo38 and LinznMilly like this.