Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Plant based/Vegan/Vegetarian or just after some new ideas?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by rottiepointerhouse, Jun 11, 2017.

1. rottiepointerhouse

rottiepointerhouse PetForums VIP

Lovely 10 min relaxing Tai Chi video @LinznMilly and anyone else who is interested. I can't believe I can do most of it apart from the windmill bit where he stands on one leg towards the end which I will need to practice as my balance is rubbish :Shy

LinznMilly likes this.
  2. Teddy-dog

Teddy-dog PetForums VIP

Very good point! I’m trying not to change a whole load at first going from veggie to vegan so am sticking with the meat subs etc. But when I’m more used to eating plant based foods I might look at cutting stuff out.
    Just not making it too hard yet :)

LinznMilly likes this.
  3. Jonescat

Jonescat Don't do nothing. Do something.

@lymorelynn sorry I am late - I have been at the vet amongst other things - but what kind of cake are you after?

The chocolate raspberry cake is almost certainly this one - I have done it and it works - finish it off with freeze dried raspberry bits and Lidl do a vegan raspberry choclate bar that is great in the icing
    https://www.vegansociety.com/resources/recipes/cakes-desserts/raspberry-chocolate-cake

This one is completely different, easy, but they probably won't have had it before. You can get mango puree in the supermarkets in huge cans in the world foods bit, and 1 big can makes two cakes (the puree does freeze or you can have lassi) - it does say cupcakes but its easy to make a cake out of it
    https://holycowvegan.net/mango-cupcakes-with-mango-buttercream/

But if you want something else just shout and I'll see if I have a recipe :)

4. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

Thanks @Jonescat - the chocolate and raspberry one sounds good. He likes chocolate cake. Can I use something like an olive oil spread for the vegan margarine in the recipe?
    We have a small chocolate shop in Lymington where I might find some vegan chocolate - I won't have time to go to Lidl.

LinznMilly and Jonescat like this.
  5. Jonescat

Yes you can use olive oil spread if it is vegan - I use rapeseed oil a lot because it makes cakes a lovely yellow colour but obviously that won't make any difference to a chocolate cake. It is quite a big cake :)

lymorelynn likes this.
  6. lymorelynn

Staff Member

Thanks - I'll post a photo of the result (unless it's a disaster :oops:) :D

Jonescat likes this.
  7. rottiepointerhouse

Quite an interesting article about calorie density although this guy is a young Type 1 Diabetic

https://www.mangomannutrition.com/calorie-density-plant-based-diets/

Calorie Density: The #1 Reason Why People Abandon Plant-Based Diets

The truth is, the #1 reason why many people fail to develop a sustainable and long-term approach to plant-based nutrition…

• is not because they didn’t eat enough protein
    • is not because they needed more chicken
    • is not because their body was asking for yogurt
    …but likely because they simply didn’t eat enough calories.

Elles, ouesi and LinznMilly like this.
  8. ouesi

ouesi Guest

Was for sure my experience.
    In the past when I tried to go vegan, I was still 'afraid' of carbs, so any rice, potatoes, pasta, etc. I ate sparingly. And yup, in hindsight, I wasn't getting enough calories. For me that meant falling off the wagon and eating entire cheese pizzas. Me thinking I needed the protein in the cheese. Nope, I just needed calories.

This time I'm not shying away from whole grains and starches and I feel amazing.

Breakfast today was supposed to be steel cut oats. I made what I thought was a huge pot of oatmeal (which BTW smells lovely as it's cooking), let it sit while I put in a load of laundry, came back to find teenage son polishing off all but a tiny portion. "I left you some mom." :Penguin

Elles and rottiepointerhouse like this.
  9. rottiepointerhouse

I know that feeling. Yesterday I was running late so it was about 5 pm by the time I'd made my favourite bean soup for my lunch. OH got in from work having had eaten all of his lunch (food flask with rice, chickpeas & mix of veggies plus a chunk of bread, a bag of mixed nuts and a bunch of grapes) just as I was serving up my soup and took a huge portion leaving hardly any for today so I will have to make more :rolleyes: He is like a bottomless pit and eats so much yet has dropped weight down to his teenage weight which is pretty good given he is 60 soon.

ouesi likes this.
  10. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Submissive Servant to My Lord and Lady Mutts
    Staff Member

Another Tai Chi video for beginners:

rottiepointerhouse likes this.
  11. rottiepointerhouse

How is the chest strain getting along? Have you managed to try another session? I'm really enjoying exercising and relaxing at the same time, OH has been joining in too :)

LinznMilly likes this.
  12. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Submissive Servant to My Lord and Lady Mutts
    Staff Member

The pain is gone, and I've just tried the video I linked to, thanks :) . I think I prefer that one, tbh.

ouesi and rottiepointerhouse like this.
  13. ouesi

ouesi Guest

Just got back from a long run and was ravenous. Not a whole lot in the pantry, so I just started dumping stuff in a pot :Hilarious
    Jar of salsa, can of lentils, can of black eyed peas, bag of frozen peas, bag of frozen corn and then I dumped the last of the quinoa in too. Simmered it all until the quinoa started to open up, then added some fresh spinach and let that wilt.
    Scooped up a giant bowl, added some nutritional yeast. I don't know if it was because I was ravenous, or what but it tasted great! And there is a ton of it, if I can keep the kids out of it, I'll have lunch for a few days this week.

14. lymorelynn

Staff Member

Thank you @Jonescat for the link to the chocolate and raspberry cake. I made a couple of adaptations and the result is this
    20180203_212022.jpg
    I had piece from where I had levelled the top and have to say it is delicious - chocolate and orange. I may never make a normal cake again!

15. Elles

Elles PetForums VIP

I started to put on weight. It was the lovely creamy, oat milk coffee. :eek: If you make your coffees with just hot oat milk, you can get your daily calorie intake in a couple of mugs. Can you send me some of your cake? In for a penny, in for a few pounds. :Hungry

16. ouesi

ouesi Guest

Broccoli "cheddar" soup:

[​IMG]

Not sure on amounts...
    About 2 pounds of red potatoes
    One bunch of celery
    One onion
    5 carrots
    Chop it all up, and cook in veggie stock (half cover the veggies and put the lid on) until potatoes soften.
    Transfer it all to the blender and blend. At this point season, I added salt, garlic, and red pepper flakes.
    Back to pot, add broccoli and cook until broccoli is done.
    It's really creamy and thick, but there is no added dairy, no oil, just veggies. So good!

17. Jonescat

Hmm -did you use marmalade? What a good idea! It looks yummy.

Meanwhile, tea last night was tomato and porcini risotto, and wilted spinach with mushrooms.. The juice in the picture is just the liquid from the spinach and mushroom, not fat! Very low fat indeed It is white rice because much as I like wholegrain rice, I think it makes a bad risotto if you are after the creaminess of the original style and not using cheese/butter. Adapted very easily from a River Cafe recipe.

P1310895.JPG

18. lymorelynn

Staff Member

I did :) My husband asked if I'd been eating his marmalade when he had breakfast this morning :D I told him it was in the cake :oops:
    I was rather wary as the mixture looked more like batter than cake mix but it cooked beautifully - I don't think I've ever had a cake rise like it before, very impressed. My local sweet shop had a huge variety of vegan chocolate bars and I was spoilt for choice - went for orange with sage, which sounded different but is delicious.
    We'll be having the cake later today so I'll let you know the verdict from the family ;)
    ETA - a definite success :):Happy

#1638 lymorelynn, Feb 4, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
  19. Nettles

Nettles PetForums VIP

Quick question.. I decided to give nutritional yeast a try. The recipe I was following for leek and potato soup said “add some nutritional yeast for flavour” but didn’t say how much... so I heaped two tablespoons into the pot. I couldn’t really taste that much difference tbh, but oh holy moley they smell :Hungover I had to keep the bowl at arms length to eat it. Have I used too much?

20. rottiepointerhouse

Depends on the quantity of soup really, I've never added it to soup so not sure how much I would use. On a pasta meal I start off with about a teaspoon sprinkled over the top then add more if I want it (which I usually do). I have added it to the blender when making pesto and used a quarter of a cup in US measurements but as I'm not at home at the moment I can't tell you what that would be in tablespoons, probably a couple I would think. However pesto has other strong flavours such as basil whereas leek and potato are relatively mild flavours so I guess yes you probably used a bit too much :)

LinznMilly and Nettles like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice