Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Plant based/Vegan/Vegetarian or just after some new ideas?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by rottiepointerhouse, Jun 11, 2017.

1. rottiepointerhouse

rottiepointerhouse PetForums VIP

OK that makes sense - we need to get you to read what the plant based doctors say about taking supplements.

LinznMilly and Blaise in Surrey like this.
  2. Matrod

Matrod Moderator
    Staff Member

Omg, how frightening! Hope you're ok now.

I LOVE my steamer, veg tastes way nicer.

Blaise in Surrey likes this.
  3. rottiepointerhouse

I've been thinking about this and wondering still how it could be the actual vitamin that caused the anaphylactic reaction because surely you get small doses of the vitamin all the time in the food you eat. Have you checked out the ingredients of the supplement to see if there is anything else in it that may have caused the reaction? Did the hospital give you any advice about avoiding such a reaction again such as avoiding food that contains Vit B3?

LinznMilly likes this.
  4. rottiepointerhouse

Quite an interesting little article and short video interview with Jermain Defoe (premier league football player) by Ben Fogle. Jermain is "mostly vegan" (he eats salmon twice a week) and the film is sponsored by Quorn thus the plug for Quorn burgers but I'm pleased to see he is spreading the word - who knows some of his fans may follow his example. He also seems to echo what @ouesi says about muscle recovery times and energy levels improving.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/f...e-striker-reveals-veganism-helps-fitness.html

5. rottiepointerhouse

Dr Barnard addresses calcium in a vegan diet

and why we don't need dairy

and an interesting short one on gut bacteria

Matrod and LinznMilly like this.
  6. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Submissive Servant to My Lord and Lady Mutts
    Staff Member

I'm slowly broadening my legume reservoir. Lentils and peas (didn't know they counted as legumes/pulses until after going on this diet) have always been OK, but some may remember I couldn't really get away with the texture of beans ... (It is going back a while, though). Well, I've just tried black beans for the first time, largely thanks to this thread, and I didn't find the texture too awful. . . So that's edamame, black and aduki beans added to the list of beans I'll have. Wasn't keen on chickpeas or butter beans, though. :Muted

rottiepointerhouse likes this.
  7. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Submissive Servant to My Lord and Lady Mutts
    Staff Member

Just been read in through the last few pages of this thread. @Blaise in Surrey what a fright that must have been for you. I'm stunned that a vitamin supplement would give you an anaphylactic shock. So glad you're OK now.

Blaise in Surrey likes this.
  8. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

This gives you a pretty comprehensive list of all the legume/pulses available.

http://www.doctorsbeyondmedicine.com/listing/what-are-pulses-legumes

If beans don't suit you or you want a change from them, try grains other than rice. I'm not a great lover of rice and much prefer to have millet, buckwheat, spelt or barley instead.

https://www.thespruce.com/what-are-whole-grains-3376950

LinznMilly likes this.
  9. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

I havent quite worked out how to do butter beans yet . Not too keen on chickpeas on their own much either, but they are nice in a curry, mashed in a sandwich filling or roasted for nibbles!
    Made a nice beanloaf for tea though. Just mashed beans, grated carrot, onion, spices, oats, then some wm flour, flaxseed and soya milk to make it stay loaf shaped. Its really tasty and you can smoosh any beans you like in (was kidney and black eyed beans today)....kinda a good way to hide the beaniness if you are having trouble getting used to them!

10. Blaise in Surrey

Blaise in Surrey PetForums VIP

Quick update: there are a couple of things that could be relevant to my extreme reaction.

1. Vitamin B3 (niacin) is known to cause flushing in susceptible individuals. However, in a few cases it can cause anaphylaxis. This does not appear on any packaging I’ve seen.
    2. The maximum recommended daily dose for a woman (on most of the reputable websites I’ve found) is 14mg: the brand I bought suggests one tablet per day...... which is 100mg!!
    3. The food containing the highest amount of B3 is peanuts; my major allergen!

I returned the pills to the shop today. They were shocked and hugely sympathetic, have warned all their staff and will speak to the manufacturer on Monday.

Thanks for all your good wishes: it was all a bit unpleasant.

ouesi, LinznMilly, Matrod and 2 others like this.
  11. Matrod

Matrod Moderator
    Staff Member

Have you tried the mixed beans? They're usually a really nice combo.

LinznMilly likes this.
  12. Jonescat

Jonescat Don't do nothing. Do something.

For any one keen to try British beans and pulses, Hodemedods are offering 20% off orders today and tomorrow with the code 2018BBCAWARDS. I love the red haricot and the Kabuki peas most.....

Butter beans make a very smooth hummous and are really good in bean/veggie loaves and burgers because they mash up all smooth and sticky. Because they are big they can be hard to cook right and can be gritty in the middle; the best ones easily available in the UK come from LIDL imho. I also make a bean stew with canned tomatoes or puree, garlic, onions, fennel (seeds if the bulbs are at a "ridiculously expensive" season), red pepper, carrots, squash and/or carrots, thyme or oregano, a tiny bit of molasses and stock or water.

Cleo38, LinznMilly and Magyarmum like this.
  13. ouesi

ouesi Guest

So glad you are okay @Blaise in Surrey ! How very scary!!

Looks like Michael Greger is going to be on BBC Scotland? Should be good, he's such an engaging speaker and full of fun personality :)
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09ldm27

Pretty much every athlete who has switched to WFPB comments on the recovery time. It really is a thing.
    Ran my half yesterday and pushed it, a little sore today, but nothing like what I have experienced in the past after a race. Recovery lunch was a delicious black bean burger and a giant salad with avocado at a very vegan friendly restaurant :)

14. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Recently I’ve sometimes felt a bit bloated and slightly uncomfortable some days (I think I’ve mentioned it on here before). The other day I realised that it was possibly happening after eating bread which I hadn’t had much of recently. This morning I had cereal and I feel the same way. I wonder if I’m actually gluten intolerant? I’ve eaten gluten products all my life but perhaps my body just dealt with it and since cutting back it is now showing symptoms?

15. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Quite possibly...my own son thinks he has problems with dairy. He doesn't eat a lot of it but at first he thought it was when he had a takeaway pizza... obviously badly made could possibly cause bloating and he gets an upset stomach. Then he just noticed everytime he had cheese as that's the only dairy he has, that he got similar symptoms. So he avoids it, well cheese as much as possible now. So he's probably got lactose intolerance...he did think maybe gluten but had a milkshake a rarity and suffered and that clinched it for him.

16. rottiepointerhouse

Quite an interesting little video showing how a vegan diet covers our nutritional needs and comparing a mix of beans and veggies with a mix of meats and milk which shows equal protein but better calcium, iron, vitamins, minerals and fibre but less fat and cholesterol.

LinznMilly likes this.
  17. ouesi

ouesi Guest

I have a confession....

This thread is full of my distaste for nutritional yeast. Well.... Turns out I don't hate it quite that much after all. I guess my tastebuds have changed since giving up dairy. I have a big canister of it in the cabinet to use well mixed in with cashew creams etc. Initially I couldn't even open the container without gagging just at the smell. Then one day it actually sounded good to me and I sprinkled it over some rice and lentils. And liked it. Now I eat it a good 2 to 3 times a week! This kind is fortified with B12 too ;)

18. rottiepointerhouse

Meat and cancer risk - only 10 mins and well worth a watch - 3 times the risk of colon cancer for meat eaters :Jawdrop

19. ouesi

ouesi Guest

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice