Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Plant based/Vegan/Vegetarian or just after some new ideas?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by rottiepointerhouse, Jun 11, 2017.

1. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

I haven't used the Happy Pear recipe, but IME you can add texture by not mashing the beans as much, add in something to absorb moisture and add texture, I find rolled oats do well, you may have to process them in the food processor a bit, depending on your preferences, but once added in, they help soak up moisture and add texture. If you're baking in the oven, bake them lower heat for a longer time to help get moisture out too.

2. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

This is a nice recipe for burgers and if you bake them in the oven they come out firmer than when you fry them I always add more spices than they give in the recipe.

https://hodmedods.co.uk/blogs/recipes/bean-and-beetroot-burgers

BEAN AND BEETROOT BURGERS

Have you tried making Schnitzels? They're a good alternative to meat especially when you make them with portobello or oyster mushrooms. Aubergine or celeriac schnitzel are also nice for a change. Oyster mushrooms you can use in most recipes using chicken like a stir fry.

3. catzz

catzz PetForums Senior

Thank you for your suggestions everyone. Tried the oats suggestion in a nut and bean loaf last night and they worked a treat. The seasoning still needs some work but we’ll get there. Definitely going to try the schnitzel idea - I make a mean chicken schnitzel so I reckon I could use the same seasoning / coating for an aubergine or mushroom one. We do occasionally use meat replacements - I quite like the Linda McCartney sausages and meatballs. I’m on thyroxine tablets though so I need to avoid too much soya and I always reckon I could make them (not sure I really could )

Couple of successes though this weekend. We went to our local pub beer garden for something to eat on Friday. Husband ordered a Mediterranean roast vegetable toastie and I meant to order a felafel burger but pressed the wrong button on the ordering app and ended up with a normal burger instead. We cut both in half and husband actually said he preferred the taste of the vegetable toastie! Also, he’s taken a box of oat milk to work to use in his teas and has said he prefers it to normal milk. So we’re going in the right direction- just got to crack his cheese addiction now!

FAW56, Lurcherlad and Magyarmum like this.
  4. NaomiM

NaomiM Love my furry, feathered and finned family

Just wondering if anyone on here can share any secrets to baking with aquafaba as a replacement for egg? As yet I haven't succeeded in doing it without them sinking and having a very wet texture!

Attached Files:

5. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice