Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Plant based/Vegan/Vegetarian or just after some new ideas?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by rottiepointerhouse, Jun 11, 2017.

1. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

We can buy the grated cabbage ready to make sauerkraut from our local garden centre.

Here's a recipe to make your own which looks fairly simple

https://www.culturesforhealth.com/learn/recipe/natural-fermentation/sauerkraut/

RECIPE: HOMEMADE SAUERKRAUT

O2.0 likes this.
  2. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

3. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Running low on bread I‘ve just made myself a couple of wraps with gram flour and water. Added some salt and pepper and mixed a pancake batter then cooked in a frying pan.

Actually very yummy :)

Jonescat and Magyarmum like this.
  4. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

Sounds good!

I made pita bread over the weekend and used one of them to make a pizza for myself and that was rather yummy as well.

When I couldn't get yeast I made soda bread instead which is delish but you have to eat it the same day as it doesn't keep very well.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  5. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Spent half of the day packing produce bags for the community, and then as a reward, we got leftovers. I came home with 3 flats of beautiful, perfectly ripe strawberries, a huge bag of local peaches, grapes, bananas, and summer squash.
    Even we can't eat that much fruit, so I've spent the last two hours washing and cutting fruit up to freeze. My freezer is now full and we will be eating smoothies and banana nice cream all summer.

And in other good news, the tomato plant I thought was going to die from water wild (I didn't even know that was a thing), has now 90% revived after some careful pruning, re-planting in to a pot so I can move it out of the rain that apparently isn't going to stop anytime soon, and general TLC. It took 3 days to give me hope, but I think it's going to make it. Which is good 'cause it has about 8 tomatoes on it already that need to grow and ripen.

Lurcherlad, FAW56 and Magyarmum like this.
  6. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

TheDaily Mash

Man realises he's been invited to vegetarian barbecue

5th June 2020
    [​IMG]
    A MAN realised to his horror that he had been invited to a barbecue for vegetarians.

Tom Booker thought there must be some mistake after he was handed a meat-free burger, only to realise that everything else on the menu was made out of tofu, Quorn or salad.

Booker said: “When I asked the host for a beef burger everyone turned on me with these fixed grins. It was like something out of The Twilight Zone.

“They all said in unison that they didn’t serve that sort of food here, and if I wanted a meat alternative I should’ve brought my own. It was weird, like they’d been waiting their whole lives to say that to a carnivore like myself.

“Then they force-fed me admittedly tasty Linda McCartney sausages until I left. Still, I got a few beers out of it.

“I can’t see the point of vegetarian barbecues anyway. Isn’t cooking a massive quantity of meat just a macho hunting substitute for unfit men who work in offices?”

Fellow guest Martin Bishop said: “Just like Tom I was disgusted by the vegetarian food on offer. But only because I’m one of those pompous vegans who thinks anyone who drinks milk is evil.”

Lurcherlad and Cleo38 like this.
  7. purringcats

purringcats PetForums Member

A friend of mine who has an underlying health condition and doesn't eat red meat has had blood tests back to say her iron count is really low and is on iron tablets at the moment. After doing a couple of minutes searching online I forwarded these great recipes that are high in iron and plant based.

Vegan Meals High In Iron
    https://tasty.co/compilation/vegan-meals-high-in-iron

I also forwarded this website on foods high in iron:-
    Top 10 High Iron Foods for Vegetarians and Vegans
    https://www.myfooddata.com/articles/vegetarian-iron-foods.php

I also suggested eating Bran Flakes for breakfast as they are also rich in iron as well (16mg of Iron per 100g of bran flakes that's 114% RI).

I thought I would share the links incase you are looking for meals high in iron.

Magyarmum likes this.
  8. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Just tried one of those 'realistic' burgers today. Not sure I get it TBH....I mean it did look like it was bleeding when it was cooking but how is that a good thing??
    Even if you eat meat we discovered fire just so we could avoid the whole bloody mess!:eek:
    Taste wise I dont think it was much different from the regular meat free ones.:Bored

Lurcherlad likes this.
  9. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

I've yet to find a bought burger that I like. I have though found a beetroot and bean burger that's really tasty and the beetroot gives the "bloody" look.:D

I do add more seasoning than in the recipe.

https://hodmedods.co.uk/blogs/recipes/bean-and-beetroot-burgers

I've been making "chicken" nuggets using oyster mushrooms. Absolutely delicious and even better tasting eaten cold the following day!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice