Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Plant based/Vegan/Vegetarian or just after some new ideas?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by rottiepointerhouse, Jun 11, 2017.

1. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

We can buy the grated cabbage ready to make sauerkraut from our local garden centre.

Here's a recipe to make your own which looks fairly simple

https://www.culturesforhealth.com/learn/recipe/natural-fermentation/sauerkraut/

RECIPE: HOMEMADE SAUERKRAUT

O2.0 likes this.
  2. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

3. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Running low on bread I‘ve just made myself a couple of wraps with gram flour and water. Added some salt and pepper and mixed a pancake batter then cooked in a frying pan.

Actually very yummy :)

Jonescat and Magyarmum like this.
  4. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

Sounds good!

I made pita bread over the weekend and used one of them to make a pizza for myself and that was rather yummy as well.

When I couldn't get yeast I made soda bread instead which is delish but you have to eat it the same day as it doesn't keep very well.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  5. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Spent half of the day packing produce bags for the community, and then as a reward, we got leftovers. I came home with 3 flats of beautiful, perfectly ripe strawberries, a huge bag of local peaches, grapes, bananas, and summer squash.
    Even we can't eat that much fruit, so I've spent the last two hours washing and cutting fruit up to freeze. My freezer is now full and we will be eating smoothies and banana nice cream all summer.

And in other good news, the tomato plant I thought was going to die from water wild (I didn't even know that was a thing), has now 90% revived after some careful pruning, re-planting in to a pot so I can move it out of the rain that apparently isn't going to stop anytime soon, and general TLC. It took 3 days to give me hope, but I think it's going to make it. Which is good 'cause it has about 8 tomatoes on it already that need to grow and ripen.

Lurcherlad, FAW56 and Magyarmum like this.
  6. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

TheDaily Mash

Man realises he's been invited to vegetarian barbecue

5th June 2020
    [​IMG]
    A MAN realised to his horror that he had been invited to a barbecue for vegetarians.

Tom Booker thought there must be some mistake after he was handed a meat-free burger, only to realise that everything else on the menu was made out of tofu, Quorn or salad.

Booker said: “When I asked the host for a beef burger everyone turned on me with these fixed grins. It was like something out of The Twilight Zone.

“They all said in unison that they didn’t serve that sort of food here, and if I wanted a meat alternative I should’ve brought my own. It was weird, like they’d been waiting their whole lives to say that to a carnivore like myself.

“Then they force-fed me admittedly tasty Linda McCartney sausages until I left. Still, I got a few beers out of it.

“I can’t see the point of vegetarian barbecues anyway. Isn’t cooking a massive quantity of meat just a macho hunting substitute for unfit men who work in offices?”

Fellow guest Martin Bishop said: “Just like Tom I was disgusted by the vegetarian food on offer. But only because I’m one of those pompous vegans who thinks anyone who drinks milk is evil.”

Lurcherlad and Cleo38 like this.
  7. purringcats

purringcats PetForums Member

A friend of mine who has an underlying health condition and doesn't eat red meat has had blood tests back to say her iron count is really low and is on iron tablets at the moment. After doing a couple of minutes searching online I forwarded these great recipes that are high in iron and plant based.

Vegan Meals High In Iron
    https://tasty.co/compilation/vegan-meals-high-in-iron

I also forwarded this website on foods high in iron:-
    Top 10 High Iron Foods for Vegetarians and Vegans
    https://www.myfooddata.com/articles/vegetarian-iron-foods.php

I also suggested eating Bran Flakes for breakfast as they are also rich in iron as well (16mg of Iron per 100g of bran flakes that's 114% RI).

I thought I would share the links incase you are looking for meals high in iron.

Magyarmum likes this.
  8. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Just tried one of those 'realistic' burgers today. Not sure I get it TBH....I mean it did look like it was bleeding when it was cooking but how is that a good thing??
    Even if you eat meat we discovered fire just so we could avoid the whole bloody mess!:eek:
    Taste wise I dont think it was much different from the regular meat free ones.:Bored

Lurcherlad likes this.
  9. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

I've yet to find a bought burger that I like. I have though found a beetroot and bean burger that's really tasty and the beetroot gives the "bloody" look.:D

I do add more seasoning than in the recipe.

https://hodmedods.co.uk/blogs/recipes/bean-and-beetroot-burgers

I've been making "chicken" nuggets using oyster mushrooms. Absolutely delicious and even better tasting eaten cold the following day!

FAW56 likes this.
  10. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Hi everyone, hope you're all still around!

I've decided to give a plant-based diet a(nother) try. I have previously been vegetarian and have dabbled with veganism, but I have fallen back into the 'easy' way of eating - meat, dairy and processed foods - and I feel like my health and certainly my weight are suffering. I think since moving to a farming area it's make it harder to ignore the reality of eating the beautiful animals around me.

As I live very rurally, 'fake meat' products like Quorn are difficult to get, as are things like tofu. I don't use dairy milk anyway (prefer soy for my drinks and almond for my weetbix). However, I do feel at the moment I need to keep using eggs. I buy local free-range eggs, so try to do the best I can there, and perhaps as I get more used to this way of eating I will be able to drop eggs too.

The problem, however, is I'm not a huge fan of vegetables :Hilarious I do love pretty much all root vegetables, but other veges not so much! In addition, I don't really know much about using lentils etc.

Any advice gratefully received!

FAW56 likes this.
  11. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Glad to hear you are giving it another try @McKenzie !:D I wouldnt worry about Quorn and tofu, they are pretty expensive and you can get most of what you need from beans/lentils and nuts/seeds. As for using lentils I just treat them as a mince substitute so any recipe calling for mince (like chilli, shepards pie, etc) gets the lentil treatment instead.
    Im not great with veg either. Its not that I dont like veggies but I go through phases where I CBA and things I buy go off and have to be thrown out.:Shy Now I prep alot of my veg and keep it in the freezer (or just use frozen bags of veg). Its easy to just chuck it in a recipe and it will mostly get lost with other flavours!

Im trying to save money at the moment and a huge electricity bill and checking out my daily usage has made me realiese that my oven really does use alot of power....who knew!?o_O So from now on I think Im going to be having a 'cooking sunday' and try and prep alot of stuff to be eaten in the week. (turns out slow cookers and microwaves use very little energy so Im happy to just zap stuff midweek).
    Now the question is what kinds of things to make to last me the week? I figure I can roast some veg and bake potatoes, add plenty of rice and beans(plus that freezer veg!), maybe make a small vat of soup too. Best friend was horrified when I told her I was planning on living mostly on rice and beans for the foreseeable future....jokes on her, I really love rice and beans!!LOL:Hilarious

FAW56 likes this.
  12. NaomiM

NaomiM Love my furry, feathered and finned family

I'm trying to shift the lockdown weight gain, so back to WFPB for a while, or mainly anyway - I'm still having milk in my tea, the occasional egg from our own chooks, and I did use a non-veg stock in the last couple of soups I made. It makes it easier to sustain it for a more prolonged period!

I made a lemon and ginger chickpea tagine tonight that was really good :) Chickpeas, cherry toms, onions, red peppers, a handful of sultanas and some finely chopped fresh ginger and garlic, seasoned with paprika, cumin, cinnamon and salt, tossed with lemon juice and basically blitzed in the microwave. I mixed in some fresh coriander (cilantro to those on the other side of the pond) and more lemon juice, and voila. Really easy and full of flavour :)

13. Jonescat

Jonescat Don't do nothing. Do something.

Have you got a pressure cooker? 500g chick peas in a pressure cooker will give you four plastic takeaway boxes of peas for the freezer and a portion of hummus. (or any other beans). Another "base" to use is this veggie mince substitute https://veggieconverter.com/whole-food-vegetarian-ground-beef-substitute-recipe/ allthough I would half the quantities as otherwise it makes an awful lot :) It freezes well but make sure you add enough sauce when you do something with it or it will stick to the bottom of the pan.

14. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

I dont have a pressure cooker, just a slow cooker....but I really do need to use dried beans more often. I usually go for tinned which probably works out more expensive coz Im being lazy!LOL:Shy
    Not a fan of freezing meals though (even though thats kinda how batch cooking works best!). I find Im more likely to eat the same thing 4 times a week out of the fridge then pull something out of the freezer, freezer meals just take up space and are there so long I forget what they were to start with!:D
    I like the mince recipe however, I must try that. While I dont prep meals for the freezer I do prep ingredients quite often. So freeze and chop up onions, mashed potato or tomato sauces for use later on.

Honestly with trying to save cash and thanks to lockdown shopping habits Im probably eating more healthy and controlling my weight better then ever!o_O
    :)

Lurcherlad and Magyarmum like this.
  15. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

woo hoo! Meal prep Queen today!!:Woot Just been slaving away so I dont have to cook for the week.:Smug
    We have;

overnight oats (apple stewed with cinnamon and agave syrup, topped with oats, chia seeds and soya milk...will probably add crushed hazelnuts when eating)

cous cous, mixed with black eyed beans and mixed veg. Just seasoned with abit of garlic and salt so I can add different spices/sauces on serving.

Potato wedges (just salt and smoked paprika on these...very old potatoes that urgently needed eating!:Shy)

sandwich filling (mashed butter beans with spring onions and garlic mayo)

Also cooked a couple of vegan sausage rolls that I will cut up and have cold for snacks.

I think thats enough to cover most of the week! I'll probably do a soup as well when it gets colder but Im really not feeling soup in July.:cool:
    (and can I just say how did I not know how much I loved beans before I became a vegan!!?):Banghead;)

Lurcherlad, FAW56 and Magyarmum like this.
  16. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

In a prep mood again today.:) (not sure why the mood always hits me when the weathers really hot though....o_O).

bean chilli with a choice of brown rice or spicy potato wedges.

cous cous, mixed veg and spiced roasted chickpeas.

chocolate and walnut cake.

stewed gooseberries with soya yoghurt and homemade granola.

(I really think I need to eat more veg though, esp salad type things. Although as soon as I get payed Ive decided to experiment with quick pickled veg as Im pretty sure I'll like that!:Smug).

Pixel, FAW56 and Lurcherlad like this.
  17. catzz

catzz PetForums Senior

So, I’ve read through this entire thread now. Wow!
    We’ve always liked vegetarian food but husband’s latest cholesterol test has made him realise that he really does need to do something about it. We’ve been doing more or less WFPB for around a month now. I’m loving it. He’s doing OK with it but still occasionally having butter or milk and the odd bit of meat (maybe once a week) I suppose anything he is doing right will make a difference and I guess I could just stop buying real milk- I’m using oat milk and that is mostly what he has. We’ve still got a block and a half of butter left and I won’t buy any more after that. I think with the meat, it’s the texture he misses.

I made some black bean burgers from the Happy Pear cookbook the other day and whilst they were really nice, they were too mushy. Any advice on how to make firmer (chewier?) burgers / bean loaf type things would be very welcome. Also any stories of successfully lowering cholesterol using WFPB which might keep him motivated.
    Great thread btw Thanks

NaomiM and Magyarmum like this.
  18. NaomiM

NaomiM Love my furry, feathered and finned family

Hi @catzz! I guess I'm in a similar place to your husband, in that I'm eating mainly WFPB for health reasons (trying to lose weight is getting noticeably harder the older I get, and with a strong family history of diabetes I want to get it under control sooner rather than later). I do still have milk in my tea and the odd egg from our own hens (generally when we're running out of space to store them all!), and I tend to relax the whole thing for holidays and special occasions so I'm not sat there feeling sorry for myself when I'm surrounded by people eating chocolate cake! I have found WFPB to be the diet that works best for me for weight loss, and I do feel much healthier when I'm on it, though I do still have the occasional slip-up (last night's one involved a whole bar of Dairy Milk - whoops!)

19. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

@catzz There are some plant based meat alternatives which have a firmer texture that might satisfy your husband during transition?

Asda plant based burgers, Linda McCartney Lincolnshire style sausages, for example.

What the Cluck “chicken” is quite firm and I’ve used tinned Jack Fruit in a casserole.

Vegan frankfurters are indistinguishable imo too.

Obviously, any processed food should be kept to a minimum health wise, but on occasion (and if it keeps one on the PB path) it’s ok imo ;)

FAW56 and Magyarmum like this.
  20. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

FAW56 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice