Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Plant based/Vegan/Vegetarian or just after some new ideas?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by rottiepointerhouse, Jun 11, 2017.

1. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

DS and I made Jamie Oliver’s Cheat’s Deep Pan Pizza together tonight.

F44FAD7B-E392-4090-B15C-8F03F5C3BB5C.jpeg

Considering the base uses just self raising flour, a pinch of salt and water I was impressed. Base was nice and fluffy with a crispy bottom.

A basic tomato pasta sauce (from a jar ;)), cooked onions, mushrooms, mixed herbs and a few splashes of Sriracha with vegan “chorizo” sausages, cheese and a sprinkle of Nutritional Yeast on mine and meat sausages and cheddar on DS’s.

So quick - so easy and very tasty :)

2. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Some lovely food pics on this thread now and that pizza looks amazing @Lurcherlad !;)

Ive just been through the cupboards and freezer to see what I could make. Ended up with shepards pie (ok, so the sauce packet was 2 and a half yrs out of date but it looked and smelled fine:Shy). Used onion, peas, sweetcorn, carrot, lentils and aduki beans for the filling and regular and sweet potatoes for the top, then sprinkled over some oats, mixed seeds and nooch. Looks amazing and will probably feed me for a week!LOL:D

Lurcherlad and Magyarmum like this.
  3. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

That looks awesome! Do you have the recipe for the crust?

4. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Jamie Oliver’s Cheat’s Pizza Ingredients

• 2 Cumberland sausages
    • olive oil
    • 1 pinch of dried oregano
    • ½ teaspoon fennel seeds
    • 2 red onions
    • 8 sliced jalapeños in brine
    • 500 g self-raising flour , plus extra for dusting
    • 50 g Cheddar cheese
    Method

1. Preheat the oven to 240°C/475°F/gas 9 (full whack). Put a large non-stick, ovenproof frying pan on a medium-high heat.
    2. Squeeze the sausage meat out of the skins directly into the frying pan, with ½ a tablespoon of olive oil. Use a wooden spoon to roughly break up the meat.
    3. Add the oregano and fennel seeds, and stir-fry until the sausage meat is lightly golden.
    4. Peel and finely slice the onions then add to the pan with a pinch of sea salt and black pepper. Add the jalapeños and a splash of their vinegar. Cook on a medium heat for 5 to 10 minutes, or until the onions are soft and caramelised, stirring regularly.
    5. Meanwhile, for the dough, pile the flour into a bowl with a good pinch of sea salt. Add up to 250ml of water, mixing until it comes together as a smooth, elastic dough. You want it to be pliable.
    6. Knead the dough on a lightly floured surface for a couple of minutes, then form into a rough round.
    7. Now, tip your topping out of the pan for a moment, returning the pan to a medium heat. Place the dough in the pan and – being careful not to touch the hot pan – use your fingertips to stretch out the dough to cover the base.
    8. Spoon the topping back over the pizza, spreading it out and pushing the sausage into the dough, then grate over the cheese.
    9. Turn the heat back up to medium-high and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, or until the base has started to crisp up. Transfer to the oven for 10 minutes, or until golden, puffed up and sizzling. Serve with a nice salad, if you like

O2.0 likes this.
  5. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Thank you @Lurcherlad ! Will have to try this week :) Not tonight, we're religiously stuck to Taco Tuesday during the lockdown, seems bad luck to change that, but maybe tomorrow's dinner...

Magyarmum and Lurcherlad like this.
  6. Jonescat

Jonescat Don't do nothing. Do something.

I am quite enjoying some aspects of this. We have switched to a delivered veg box for the interim, and therefore it is a bit like those cooking shows where you don't get to choose ingredients but have them thrust upon you. One of the effects is that we are eating far more fruit than usual as I don't normally bother until the berries are in season on the allotment. Another is that I have more radishes than is decent! But it is interesting and gives me a new way to look at deciding what to have for dinner - last night was mushroom and parsley risotto, and stewed plums.

Not sure about today - Tuesday is delivery day so I have too much choice all of a sudden. :)

Lurcherlad likes this.
  7. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

You're lucky you found somewhere still delivering. All the places local to me just have waiting lists for deliveries.:(

Jonescat likes this.
  8. rona

rona Still missing my boys

Jonescat and Lurcherlad like this.
  9. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

No one delivers groceries or fresh vegetables or fruit to where I live and I'm reluctant to go shopping until I absolutely have to. As a result I'm having to be creative with what I've got in my fridge, freezer or cupboards. As a result I've had some, what one might call. interesting meals!

As for radishes, I'm well provided with them as the Mayor sent me a large bunch. I roasted some with garlic as a side dish ... delicious! Yesterday I made some potato flat bread, because bread is the one thing I run short of and although I have plenty of flour only a little yeast which is impossible to find in the shops.

https://therealfoodrds.com/garlic-roasted-radishes/

https://veggiesociety.com/vegan-pot..._Ts_hGTANX9CDhXZBwHFDZ8jfxh8ARYx3JeOmXmN6dee8

Jonescat likes this.
  10. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

11. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

I know its cauliflower.....but it still looks too cute to eat!:Hilarious

Magyarmum likes this.
  12. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Did you see the recipe for cheats pizza I gave in post #3624?

I’m sure it could be used for flatbreads and no yeast required.

13. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

Actually the bread's not for me.

I cook every day for my drunken neighbour who has no money to buy food (not that he'd use it to buy food even if he had). I usually make soup and give him bread to go with it.

There's a saying in Hungary which is "Hungarians eat bread with bread" and he eats such large quantities I can't keep up!

I've started to make Irish Soda Bread which he seems to find acceptable - at least I've had no complaints

Pixel, O2.0 and Lurcherlad like this.
  14. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

You are extremely nice to your drunken neighbour @Magyarmum!:) All Ive ever done towards mine is tut disapprovingly when he set his garden on fire!LOL:Hilarious

Made a big batch of chilli today. Kidney beans, black eyed beans, toms, onion then (coz Im too lazy to bother with veggie sides!) carrots, peas, sweetcorn and celery plus spices. Should keep me going for a while.
    Also made a gorgeous sammich filling today too. Mashed butter beans with mayo, garlic and nooch. Never tried butter beans before as a filling but they are really lovely.

Pixel, FAW56 and Magyarmum like this.
  15. GingerNinja

GingerNinja PetForums VIP

Morning everyone, I am looking for inspiration for the weekend!

I have spiralized butternut squash in my freezer and need some ideas of what to do with it rather than tomato based sauce. I was thinking along the lines of mushroom and puy lentils (as I have pre-cooked packet of them in my cupboard) but not sure if it would be a bit dry :rolleyes:

Thanks in advance.

16. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Could you make a cottage pie with the lentils and mushrooms (any other veg you have) and a little gravy.

Cook and mash the butternut squash and spread on top with some breadcrumbs, garlic and herbs as a crunchy crust.

GingerNinja, FAW56 and Magyarmum like this.
  17. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I’m cooking a load of chunky chopped veg and lentils in a saucepan with veggie stock and passata.

For lunch, I will add some herby dumplings made with veg suet - yum!

O2.0 and FAW56 like this.
  18. GingerNinja

GingerNinja PetForums VIP

That actually sounds lovely!
    I have swede and carrots and can serve with broccoli and peas :)

FAW56, Lurcherlad and Magyarmum like this.
  19. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

well, todays sammich filling was chickpea, beetroot, roasted onion, garlic and ginger spread. Tastes amazing so Im chuffed with that!:)

Really need to invest in a food processor though. I dont mind the chunky texture you get with a fork or masher but it would be nice to make a smoother paste.
    Usually I just use vegan cheese or ham in my sandwiches but not wanting to go to the supermarket to buy them has made me more creative (plus...healthier!):D.

Lurcherlad, FAW56, Pixel and 2 others like this.
  20. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I love this sandwich:

Granary bread smeared with vegan mayo
    Houmous
    Grated carrot
    A few spinach leaves
    Salt & Pepper

It’s tasty and fresh

FAW56 and Magyarmum like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice