Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Plant based/Vegan/Vegetarian or just after some new ideas?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by rottiepointerhouse, Jun 11, 2017.

1. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

Thought I would have a go at making some aquafaba meringues last night but I don't think I have the right mixer as the consistency just wouldn't get thick enough.
    But so as not to waste it I thought I'd use it for something else so chucked some oats in, some maple syrup, chopped nuts, some seeds & some chopped dried fruit then mixed it all up.
    Added the mixture to a muffin tin then baked .... not sure how long but they came out lovely. Nice & chewy like those rice crispy bar things.

Have eaten quite a few but am trying not to make too much of a pig of myself

20181107_085619.jpg

#2561 Cleo38, Nov 7, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
  2. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

Tofu and veg stir fry tonight hubby happy with veggie meals he spent 10 minutes talking to cows on a walk the other day then said he felt bad about eating them.

Matrod, Cleo38, O2.0 and 1 other person like this.
  3. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

Dinner tonight had a middle eastern influence to it. Roasted veggies (butternut squash, courgette, peppers, onions, garlic, carrots & celery) with baharat spice mix. I then added them to some cous cous & mixed in a tin of kidney beans ,& chick peas along with some chopped chillies.
    Mmmmm, lovely & plenty left over for tomorrow

Attached Files:

Magyarmum, Matrod and O2.0 like this.
  4. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

Knowing how much you like spicy food, I've got another spice mix for you to try! It's Panch Phoran (Indian Five Spice Mix). You can either make it yourself, or I think Tesco sell it.

https://www.daringgourmet.com/

I made this the other night and very nice it was too!

https://www.veganricha.com/2016/05/bengali-mixed-veggies-charchari-recipe.html

Cleo38, Jonescat and Boxer123 like this.
  5. Jonescat

Jonescat Don't do nothing. Do something.

That cauliflower looks really good :)

This is Moroccan carrot soup with chermoula, except that I subbed the carrots for a medium roast squash. It was really good, and came out very thick, but you could add more water or stock. Chermoula is essentially pesto made with coriander and no cheese, and I added a bit of cayenne as well as the paprika in the recipe because I like heat.

P1350647.JPG

The recipe comes from a Paul Gayler book but I also found it online here
    http://www.friendsofmorocco.org/Food/CarrotSoup.htm

and these are the seeds about to be roasted
    P1350642.jpg

Matrod, Magyarmum, O2.0 and 1 other person like this.
  6. Sacremist

Sacremist Mum to 2 cats and a dog

Socca flatbread

Ingredients (makes 1 thick or 2 thin flatbreads)

130g Chickpea Flour (gram flour)
    250ml Water
    50ml Extra Virgin Olive Oil
    Pinch of Salt

Filling:

Pesto (Choose from Green or Red)

Instructions

Make the batter by whisking all the ingredients together in a bowl (except the Pesto…) then let it rest for at least 30 minutes and up to a couple of hours.

Heat up your grill and put a 25cm frying pan under the grill to warm. Add a little oil to give the base of the pan a nice coat. Whisk the batter again and pour into the hot pan. (If you want two thin Flatbreads, pour only half the batter into the pan, if you want one thick Flatbread, use all the batter).

Make sure the pan is evenly coated with batter (think French pancake) and place under the grill for 3-5 minutes until the top begins to brown and blister.

You know it’s done when the edges are crispy but the middle is still soft.

Slip the Flatbread from the pan and onto a nice serving board and spread your chosen Pesto over the top. Cut into wedges and serve with a green salad

Note

Socca can be used in place of a wrap or as gluten free pizza base.

For added flavour just add to the Socca batter before cooking: chopped fresh herbs, garlic or spices like chilli, cumin, smoked paprika, sumac or za’atar.

upload_2018-11-9_2-24-42.jpeg

Jonescat, O2.0, Matrod and 2 others like this.
  7. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

Thanks so much for that @Magyarmum, have just ordered some. That cauliflour dish looks lovely, am going to try that when I next buy a cauli. I saw a recipe for a whole roasted one the other day & it looked amazing ..... hahaha, if I'm not eating then I'm thinking about food or reading about it :D

O2.0, Matrod and Magyarmum like this.
  8. Matrod

Matrod Moderator
    Staff Member

I love socca although I don’t put in any oil in it, I usually add tomatoes, mushrooms, chives & herbs to my mix & eat it with a load of hummus & salad leaves :Hungry

Sacremist and O2.0 like this.
  9. 3dogs2cats

3dogs2cats PetForums VIP

Was the cauliflower `stuffed` in the recipe you saw? There is what looks a lovely stuffed whole roasted cauliflower recipe on line somewhere, can`t remember where though! I know I gave it a go and no way could I get the core out of the cauli without breaking off the florets, that is just a skill I don`t possess!

10. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

It's this one ..... look so yummy!!!

https://tasty.co/recipe/whole-roast...X86Hz7B3SMmfM1baGtRh3JvKgAWpHXsapiIWP9_O0mA0w

3dogs2cats likes this.
  11. 3dogs2cats

3dogs2cats PetForums VIP

12. Jonescat

Jonescat Don't do nothing. Do something.

I have just discovered a product called "ajvar" - a Balkan speciality that is basically red bell peppers roasted and pureed, and then with added oil, and flavourings like tomatoes, aubergine, salt etc. Mine has tomatoes. I am very excited about this. as apparently it often spread on bread, and I think it will make an amazing sandwich spread, and I think will be fairly easy to make now I know about it. It also reminded me of an old colleague, who left Hungary in 1959, and who often had a crusty roll and a red pepper for lunch. He said it reminded him of home.

Magyarmum likes this.
  13. Matrod

Matrod Moderator
    Staff Member

Dinner tonight was aubergine & soya mince fatteh with a tahini & coconut yogurt sauce, it was adapted from a nigella recipe. It looks a bit rank in the photo but it was very tasty.

9645DA86-75C3-42CC-AAA3-89E5B5842076.jpeg

O2.0 and Magyarmum like this.
  14. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

I think I’ve developed an intolerance to almond milk :( I’ve been having it on my weetbix every morning for most of the year but lately I’ve been feeling slightly nauseous a little while after breakfast. I’m swapping to oat milk to see if that helps but I really loved almond milk!

15. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

Ajvar is known as Zakuszka in Hungary and you can buy it ready made in the supermarket. Here's the recipe for it ...

http://kifoztuk.hu/receptek/item/zakuszka

Hungarians love their peppers with bread and cheese, ham or whatever for lunch and in most supermarkets you find "piknik" packs which consist of a couple of tomatoes and two or three peppers - which by the way aren't the bell peppers but the long ones like these ....

[​IMG]

Jonescat likes this.
  16. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

I don't know how cheap/expensive cashews are in your neck of the woods, but I make cashew milk very easily - soak cashews (if you have a high speed blender you don't even need to soak), blend in water and done. I use 1/4 cup cashews to 1 cup water, which makes a pretty creamy milk (I use it in coffee) but add more/less water to taste.
    Add dates for sweetness if you like.

17. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

21847676-887E-43B6-A4ED-7CAF70FEEB35.jpeg

Thought I would do a typical "what do you eat in a day" post for those newer to the thread or looking to add more vegan meals in to the day :)

This is a fairly typical day for me. I added an extra meal just to give more ideas.

Bottom two are snacks - fruit and nuts. I snack on fruit throughout the day, the cookies are made with almonds, maple syrup, and vanilla extract (I counted them as my nuts :D )
    Bottom left is usual breakfast, I either make a smoothie or oatmeal and always add a tablespoon of ground flax seeds as per Dr. Greger's advice. Quick and easy way to make sure I get a daily dose of flax.
    Middle is some sort of stew or soup. Winter I tend to eat stews, summer it's more likely a hearty salad. I always include a starch and a bean (or several). The one on the left is sweet potatoes, garbanzos, and tons of veggies. The one on the right is black beans, garbanzos, quinoa, sweet corn and more veggies.
    Top is the grain and greens combination. I try to get another grain in at some point. This is whole grain pasta and broccoli with a spinach pesto sauce.

I'm not sure how close I get to Dr. Greger's daily dozen or Dr. Furhman's G-BOMBS, but this is fairly good I would say. None of this required any special shopping or specifically vegan food, all of this is readily available at the farmer's market and any average grocery store.
    My teens will happily eat everything on here too. Most of it I make large batches so we have leftovers for quick meals.

Jonescat likes this.
  18. Puddy2shoes

Puddy2shoes PetForums Junior

Oh my goodness, everything looks so delicious, and just as i’m about to go off and make myself a piece of toast...

O2.0 likes this.
  19. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Sadly quite expensive here, but I love them! Too expensive to use to make milk, but it sounds yummy :)

Feeling lazy tonight - smashed avo on toast for dinner I think.

O2.0 likes this.
  20. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Might be worth looking online and seeing if you can get cashew pieces cheaper - whole ones are always more expensive, but for milk pieces do just fine. Make sure you're looking at raw, not roasted.

Also, do the math, cashews are expensive, yes, but you use relatively few in the milk, I buy in bulk and even if I were paying $12 a pound, a pound lasts me 2 or 3 months going through about a litre of milk a week. So, being conservative, 4 litres X 2 months = 8 litres of milk for $12. That's $1.50 per litre of milk. I've never seen any plant milk in the store that cheap.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice