Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Plant based/Vegan/Vegetarian or just after some new ideas?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by rottiepointerhouse, Jun 11, 2017.

1. rottiepointerhouse

rottiepointerhouse PetForums VIP

I've kept promising to start a thread to share information and recipes about following a plant based diet but don't want to exclude anyone so please join in if you want to share information or recipes or even if you are a meat eater but fancy cutting back and trying something new now and again. I will post some recipes/articles and/or videos at regular intervals and perhaps talk about/review some of the many books available and welcome contributions from other people who are already established or just starting out :)

A whole food plant based (WFPB) diet means you eat vegetables, fruits, whole grains, legumes (beans & lentils) nuts and seeds. The higher percentage of your diet this makes up the better - preferably 90 % or more for maximum benefits to health. It avoids processed carbohydrates such as white flour, sugar, white rice & white pasta as well as minimal salt and oils.

However if someone really doesn't want to give up all meat or dairy its better to follow as much of the WFPB diet as possible whilst cutting down on meat and dairy than doing nothing at all. The single biggest benefit to health you can do is eat more fruit and vegetables - especially green leafy ones. Being vegetarian or vegan in itself is not enough if you still consume lots of junk/processed foods and high fat or fried foods.

2. rottiepointerhouse

To get the ball rolling here is my favourite Chilli recipe - its slightly adapted from "Keep it Vegan" by Aine Carlin. Here is my latest attempt at it

[​IMG]

Recipe

1 large onion - diced
    large handful of mushrooms - chopped
    1 red pepper - chopped
    1 yellow pepper - chopped
    3 cloves garlic
    1 400g can of chopped tomatoes
    1 400 g can of red kidney beans
    1 400 g can of black beans
    1 heap teaspoon ground cumin
    A pinch of cinnamon
    Half teaspoon chilli flakes
    Half teaspoon chilli powder
    1 teaspoon smoked paprika
    1 tablespoon tomato puree
    Optional ingredient - 20g (2 squares) dark chocolate

Fry onion & garlic (use tiny splash of oil then water) for 5 mins. Add spices (use more or less according to how hot you like it) and sweat for a few more minutes. Add peppers and mushrooms. Stir in tomato puree and get it all well coated. Add chopped tomatoes and beans. Simmer for 10 mins but add water if it looks too dry. Add chocolate if using and let it melt/stir in well. You can either leave it to cook on the hob for 20 mins or I prefer to put it in the oven so I don't have to watch it. Serve with brown rice (I add a teaspoon of turmeric to the cooking water) and wholemeal pitta bread or spicy potato wedges (if anyone wants recipe for those ask) or even over a baked potato.

#2 rottiepointerhouse, Jun 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
  3. rottiepointerhouse

For those people who like an ice cream type dessert here is one with a video

https://www.forksoverknives.com/recipes/cherry-soft-serve-ice-cream/#gs.RqoMd_Q

and this one from Dr Fuhrman

Chocolate Hazelnut Ice Cream
    [​IMG]
    Serves: 2

Category: Desserts
    Author: www.drfuhrman.com
    Tags:

Average Rating:
    Rated by: 27 members

Rate it: [​IMG]PRINT RECIPE
    This rich, chocolate dessert is ready in five minutes and uses only five ingredients. For a change of pace, you can substitute other nuts—macadamia, cashews, almonds or pecans—for the hazelnuts.

INGREDIENTS:
    1/3 cup unsweetened soy, hemp or almond milk
    2 tablespoons natural cocoa powder
    2 ripe bananas, frozen (see note)
    1/4 cup raw hazelnuts or macadamia nuts
    4 regular or 2 medjool dates, pitted
    INSTRUCTIONS:
    Blend all ingredients in a high-powered blender until smooth and creamy. Freeze until firm.

Note: Freeze ripe bananas at least 8 hours in advance. Peel bananas and seal in a plastic bag before freezing.

Tania C, Summercat, WillowT and 9 others like this.
  4. ouesi

ouesi Guest

Assuming of course your choice to not eat meat is based on health reasons. Not all vegetarians are doing it for the health benefits.
    I am a longtime vegetarian, sometimes vegan (over 3 decades now). I do it mostly for personal reasons, if it has a face and a CNS I prefer not to eat it.
    I do like how I feel when I eat healthier, and I try to eat healthy about 85% of the time. I'm also perfectly happy to roast a marshmallow with the kids, or tuck in to a greasy cheese pizza out with friends, and am not going to overthink that sort of thing. I'm not sure how mentally healthy it is to be too restrictive with your diet. A true vegan, plant-based diet is socially restrictive as well. I'm no social butterfly either, but not being able to go to a restaurant with the family because there is nothing there you will allow yourself to eat, isn't healthy either.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm all about more health and planet conscious eating, I'm not dismissing a vegan/vegetarian diet at all. Just pointing out some realities as well :)

Anyway, on to recipes :)
    This time of year it's all about the salads and in-season veggies. One of the easiest, quickest meals I make and that everyone in the family will eat happily, is plain old pasta and veggies. I just toss whatever veggies I have on hand in to a pan with olive oil and garlic, cook to preference (we like fresh veggies just lightly cooked), season, then throw on top of the pasta. Done.

My other go-to recipe this time of year is tomato/cucumber salad since both are in season and most people have them growing in their gardens. Chop up equal parts tomato and cucumber, add a red onion if you like, salt, olive oil, nice red vinegar, and done. We leave it in the fridge and the kids snack on it all day.

5. rottiepointerhouse

I wasn't assuming anything - that is why I said all contributions are welcome and so are meat eaters :)

6. FeelTheBern

FeelTheBern They don't like it up 'em, sir!

I was a vegetarian for quite some time but I have since returned to eating meat. Despite this, I do like to eat vegetarian/vegan meals every so often. I'll see if I can find some recipes that I can add to this thread.

7. Team_Trouble

Team_Trouble PetForums VIP

Kale Wrap
    From a recipe book by Kathy somebody (adapted)

Wholemeal wrap
    Some kale
    A bit of avocado
    Some hummus
    Grated carrot
    Cucumber
    Chopped apple
    Lemon juice
    Maple syrup

Wash the kale and chop off the stalky bits. Place in a bowl with the cucumber, chopped apple and Grated carrot. You could add other nice things here.
    Mix a small amount of lemon juice with a very small amount of maple syrup. Pour into bowl and toss.
    Spread the wrap with hummus. If you like, mash the avocado and mix it with the hummus; or just spread it out over the wrap. Add as much of the kale mixture as you can. Yummy.

8. rottiepointerhouse

That sounds lovely Katie.

Team_Trouble likes this.
  9. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

Thank you so much for this thread RPH. Your chilli looks delicious! I do a slightly different version but am going to have ago at yours now. I'll be keeping a very close eye on this thread for ideas & will add some of my own.

10. bogdog

bogdog PetForums Senior

Although I'm an omnivore, I do like good recipes without meat and will be trying the chilli and the kale wrap. Thanks.

11. cheekyscrip

cheekyscrip Pitchfork blaster

I love the idea of more veggie meals.
    My DD currently went veggies and l am happy to accompany her with OH...
    Great thread....

12. StormyThai

StormyThai Moderator
    Staff Member

I gave up meat nearly a year a go now, I'm always looking for new ideas so great thread :)

Here is one of my favorites.
    Lentil ragu

3 carrots (sliced)
    2 onions (finely chopped)
    2 garlic cloves (chopped)
    500g red lentils
    400g chopped tomatoes
    2 tbsp tomatoe puree
    3 tbsp olive oil
    1l vegetable stock
    2 tsp oregano
    2 tsp thyme
    3 bay leaves

Heat oil and add carrots, onions and garlic. Cook gently for 15-20 mins or until everything is soft.
    Stir in lentils, tomatoes, tomatoe puree, herbs and stock.
    Bring to simmer and cook for 40-50 mins until lentils are tender.

I have it with spaghetti, pasta as filling for lasagna or on top of a baked potato.

I do a sweet potatoe chilli too which I will share once I work out the quantities :)

#12 StormyThai, Jun 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
  13. Matrod

Matrod Moderator
    Staff Member

Great thread RPH, I love food so I'll be keeping an eye on this thread & hope to add in some recipes.

14. Greydrift

Greydrift PetForums Member

Simple salsa (though the flavours are better after a while in the fridge):

Diced fresh tomatoes
    Julienned radishes
    Thinly sliced red onion
    Juice of a lime or lemon
    Coriander leaves (the dried ones are convenient, and work well)
    Teaspoon rice vinegar

Chop, dice, slice and mix everything together. The radishes take on a different flavour, and it's up to you how you prefer the balance between tomato and radish.

Surprisingly nice as a standalone salad, as well as a favourite fajita accompaniment.

15. Greydrift

Greydrift PetForums Member

Tofu Slurp Breakfast

Block silken tofu (precooked, packaged)
    Plain yogurt
    Milk (your choice of)
    Frozen or fresh fruit
    Spices/cacao/carob etc (optional, your choice)

Add, blitz to consistency of your choice. The milk is to slacken the mix to your preferred blitzing consistency, be it thick and chunky or smooth and easily pourable.

Put slurp sludge in container in fridge, and either have as a drink, or on cereal. Lovely made with frozen red berries, but banana and nutmeg also very tasty. Thickens up a bit, so can be eaten like a joghurt, too.

Good one for those who have never tried tofu.

16. rottiepointerhouse

That sounds tasty, might try that on a new recipe for chickpea burgers I made yesterday - they were lovely but needed some relish or salsa to add a bit of zing.

LinznMilly likes this.
  17. ebonycat

ebonycat PetForums VIP

Fabulous thread RPH.
    I love vegetarian & vegan recipes, I turned vegetarian in my early teens, though I've had bouts of eating meat off & on (I'm 40 now), I don't eat certain meat/meat products & don't eat meat often, have always preferred vegetarian dishes.
    Never eat meat dishes if I go out to eat.

Things have got easier if you want vegetarian food, than they were when I first went veggie.
    There's lots more choice now.
    Loving the recipes so far, definitely going to cook your chilli recipe & @StormyThai 's recipe

18. ouesi

ouesi Guest

Does half a watermelon and spoonfuls of hummus count as a meal? 'Cause that's what I just ate and I'm not even sorry. :D

Zayna, Summercat, cbcdesign and 6 others like this.
  19. rottiepointerhouse

Of course it does :)

ouesi likes this.
  20. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I'm a Pescanildarian! ;) but wanting to go more vegan so I will be using this thread!

:)

rottiepointerhouse likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice