Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Planning for camping

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by tracynoe, Feb 7, 2013.

1. tracynoe

tracynoe PetForums Junior

We are braving a week camping this year. We have two shih tzu's Oscar and Louis that are coming along. I'm guessing planning is going to be what makes this work. Was wondering if anyone has any tips?
    Thanks

2. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

My advice is a tent with a porch and comunal area for sitting and drying off wet dogs
    A tent with a built in fly sheet so dogs can't get out under the edge of the tent.
    A decent tether and tie outs
    Crate for keeping dogs secure if you need to pop to showers etc.
    Plenty of towels for drying and cleaning the dogs.
    A tic remover

I can't think of anything else off the top of my head
    Have lots of fun and you and the dogs will have a great time enjoying the out doors together :thumbup:

3. jonb

jonb PetForums Senior

get a camper!
    Sophie,Taz and Mollie used to all go away in our old VW camper:cool:
    join the Camping and Caravanning club they love dogs on their sites,as said a good tether and probably a crate unless you take showers at different times so one is left with the dogs,although we never had much of a problem.....
    have fun!:cool:
    nothing better IMHO than a weeken/week away camping

4. tracynoe

tracynoe PetForums Junior

Thank You

I can only dream of a camper van!:)

I have got a tent that matches the discription advised also a crate. We've already booked the camp site with extended family so won't be with the camping and caravanning club but that certainly sounds like something to look into if we enjoy this week :smile5:

Thanks again:smile5:

5. Phoenix&Charlie'sMum

Phoenix&Charlie'sMum PetForums VIP

Weve been camping three years in a row.

Phoenix managed to get out of our tent once in the middle of the night, then I awoke to barking as he obviously forgot where he got out of! :rolleyes:

We have a mahooosive tent with two bedrooms and extra rooms, so whenever we got we make sure the dogs sleep in the bedroom and put the zip at the top (as Phoenix can undo zips obviously!)

We bring four crates for the four dogs, so that we can leave them in there if we went to the shower or to dry them off in.

One of the biggest hints i can give you though - two duvets! one duvet to go under you and the other on top, that along with your pooches as hot water bottles you will be as snug as a bug in a rug :D

6. mummyschnauzer

mummyschnauzer PetForums Senior

HOPE THESE TIPS HELP YOU ENJOY YOUR CAMPING TRIP WITH YOUR DOGS.

MOST IMPORTANT – MAKE UP TEMPORARY DOG TAGS, INCLUDING YOUR MOBILE PHONE AND CAMP SITE IN CASE LOST OR STOLEN.

Make sure you pet is up to date with Frontline or whatever you use for control of fleas and ticks.

Make up a first aid kit for your dog
    Items to Include in Your first aid Kit
    Keep a list of any medication your dog/dogs are already on, or any ongoing medical problems.
    • Scissors - for cutting out things matted in fur, freeing your pet from entanglements.
    • Sterile eye wash - make sure it is eye wash, not contact lens solution.
    • Tweezers - to remove splinters, or other foreign materials from wounds.
    • Tick remover tool - if you are in a tick-infested area, consider one of many tools to easily remove ticks and reduce additional damage or infection during removal.

• Ear wash - speak to your vet about what one would be best for your pet.
    • Toenail trimmer and styptic pencil - for TORN TOENAILS. Cornstarch also works for torn nails, but not for skin wounds.
    • QuikClot or similar - to stop bleeding (wounds).
    • Tape - preferably the 1" white medical tape. Easy to tear off and holds well.
    • Roll Gauze - used for bandaging, an aid to stop bleeding, and padding for splints.
    • Bandage Scissors - these scissors have a blunted blade to easily slip between skin and bandage material and not cut the patient's skin.
    • Antiseptic wash or wipes - look for non-stinging preparations such as chlorhexidine or betadine. Rubbing alcohol is not good for open sores or wounds.
    • Antibiotic ointment - over-the-counter "general purpose" antibiotic ointment for light use with minor skin wounds. Not for eye use. Caution is advised for animals that may ingest by licking. The antibiotics are absorbed via the skin, remaining ointment may collect debris or actually slow healing in some cases. Use with discretion.
    • Latex or plastic exam gloves - for your protection and your pet's protection - use when the situation is messy.
    • Extra towels, wash cloths and a blanket - use for washing, keeping warm/cool, and if necessary, a way to transport the injured pet (sling).
    • A list of phone numbers - your regular vet, The Vet where you are staying, THIS CAN BE OBTAINED FROM THE CAMP SITE WHERE YOU ARE STAYING.Another tip: program these numbers in your cell phone.
    • Vinegar – to apply to wasp stings.
    • Sun screen to apply to light coloured dogs
    • PLACE ALL THESE ITEMS IN A STURDY PLASTIC BOX WITH A LID, LABEL FOR USE ON DOGS ONLY.

LIST OF ITEMS TO TAKE WITH YOU

YOUR PETS NORMAL FOOD and plastic box with a lid to store in so vermin cannot get access to it and contaminate it.
    Plenty of water from home, as stange water can upset their tummies.

PET BEDS

PLENTY OF TOWELS

SPARE COLLAR/LEADS IN CASE LOST OR BROKEN

STAKES FOR TIEING OUT DOGS

LOCK DOGS IN CAR WHILST HAVING SHOWER.

AFTER WALKS INSPECT FOR TICKS, AND PAWS FOR CUTS AND GRAZES.

GLOW IN THE DARK COLLARS, FOR WALKING DOGS AROUND CAMPSITE, SOME AREN’T VERY WELL LIT OUTSIDE main walkways.

DOG BACK PACKS, FOR THEM TO CARRY SMALL ITEMS LIKE FOLD UP CONTAINERS FOR WATER ETC., WHILST OUT WALKING.

FAVOURITE BALLS, TOYS AND CHEWS TO KEEP THEM OCCUPIED.

Allow dogs extra food and rest if taking on more frequent walks than at home.

REMEMBER THE CAMP SITE CODE, DON’T ALLOW YOUR DOGS to BARK UNNECESSARILY AND BE A NUSIANCE TO OTHER CAMPERS AND PLEASE CLEAN UP AFTER YOUR PETS. PLEASE REMEMBER NOT TO LEAVE YOUR DOG IN THE SUN WITHOUT SHADE, tied up OUTSIDE YOUR TENT/caravan/ motor home.

Please be aware if you are walking your dog around farm STOCK ie:- SHEEP, COWS, PLEASE WALK AROUND THE OUTSIDE OF THE FIELD AND KEEP YOUR DOGS ON A LEAD. Humans and dogs have been killed or injured by cows especially if they have calves, and farmers can shoot a dog if it appears loose and chasing his stock in his field.

ABOVE ALL ELSE HAVE A GREAT TIME.

#6 mummyschnauzer, Feb 8, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  7. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

I always bring a jumper for my dog, even in summer. It can get quite chilly in the middle of the night and I prefer not to be squashed in my sleeping bag with a dog!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice