UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am v new to this forum.i have joined because i cannot understand or come to terms with what has happened.i am trying to find some answers.I am hoping that may be you can help.
My 7yr staffie,Rocky, passed away suddenly on wednesday,10/10/12. He was a healthy,energetic boy.
then suddenly out of the blue he had a seizure at 5pm on 17/9/12.we had just come home and he was running around us.it was 1 minute long and he recovered well.then on 4/10/12,he had another seizure at 5pm whilst out walking followed by a second seizure(9pm) that same night.vet prescribed 60mg epiphen twice a day and warned us that it may not be epilepsy and brain tumour should not be ruled out as Rocky was a bit old.rocky had first pill on friday,5/10.he showed classic side effects.but was always ready for his walks and i thought he was doing well.then on wednesday morning , he was extremly lethargic,v slow coming for his food.couple of hours later his breathing became heavy,was acting strangely.i took him to vet st away. he had 2 seizures on the way,in the surgery and one in front of vet.these were v different types, he was crying,yelping,urinated etc.he was very very poorly and were advised to let him go.
i cannot believe that Rocky could suddenly get soo ill overnight. we had a good walk day before. so what went wrong? could epiphen have accelerated something?did we do something wrong?i am absolutely devastated. i loved him so.
i do apologise for such long post.

G

·
I honestly have no experience, and wanted to send you a virtual hug from Oz. So sorry for your loss and sadness. One of the best for answers, here, is Sled Dog Hotel, I can't give you a name of someone who has lived through this, but I have a shot memory.

·
Banned
21,573 Posts
The OH lost his first Labrador to a brain tumour, and the onset was sudden and drastic as you describe with your boy. There is nothing you can do, it must be a heart breaking experience, I'm really sorry, it must be an awful thing to loose a loved dog this way, it's bad enough when you make the decision to let them go peacefully :(

·
Registered
913 Posts
I am so sorry,and I doubt you'll ever get all the answers you seek. But you took him to a vet when he was ill, and your vet believed she was treating one of two illnesses and you followed her instructions to help him. You did all that for the love of your dog and clearly he was a very poorly dog, so whether or not the medication was to blame you were only trying to help your dog. I had a similar experience once with my old dog, one minute I noticed something was off, had her to the vets, treatment was prescribed and 4 days later she was dead. I blamed myself, I questioned the treatment plan, I grieved for the loss of my beloved pet and the pain she went through, and yet I never had all the answers. All I know was time helped to make me realise I did it for the love of my dog when my dog was ill and that not all illnesses can be cured.

Thinking of you.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Epiphen is a barbituate which means is a little like an anaesthetic and has a sedating like effect.
It also accumilates in the body as it takes while for the system to break down and excrete it.
Unfortunately if used in a case where a tumour is the primary cause of fits then its unlikely to have any effect other than sedating your dog.
Its very sad and tragic that a dog of his age is struck down so quickly.
So very sorry for your loss.

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
I am v new to this forum.i have joined because i cannot understand or come to terms with what has happened.i am trying to find some answers.I am hoping that may be you can help.
My 7yr staffie,Rocky, passed away suddenly on wednesday,10/10/12. He was a healthy,energetic boy.
then suddenly out of the blue he had a seizure at 5pm on 17/9/12.we had just come home and he was running around us.it was 1 minute long and he recovered well.then on 4/10/12,he had another seizure at 5pm whilst out walking followed by a second seizure(9pm) that same night.vet prescribed 60mg epiphen twice a day and warned us that it may not be epilepsy and brain tumour should not be ruled out as Rocky was a bit old.rocky had first pill on friday,5/10.he showed classic side effects.but was always ready for his walks and i thought he was doing well.then on wednesday morning , he was extremly lethargic,v slow coming for his food.couple of hours later his breathing became heavy,was acting strangely.i took him to vet st away. he had 2 seizures on the way,in the surgery and one in front of vet.these were v different types, he was crying,yelping,urinated etc.he was very very poorly and were advised to let him go.
i cannot believe that Rocky could suddenly get soo ill overnight. we had a good walk day before. so what went wrong? could epiphen have accelerated something?did we do something wrong?i am absolutely devastated. i loved him so.
i do apologise for such long post.
So sorry to hear of your sudden and unexpected loss of Rocky, I can understand how shocked and distraught you are.

The primary age for actual idopathic epilepsy to occur in dogs is usually between
which means seizure of unknown cause is usually between 1/5 years old, although there can be other physical causes and illnesses that can cause seizures as well.

For dogs being 5 years plus one of the main causes or the first condition thought of tends to be tumour and cancers. although again there is other physical causes and conditions. Symptoms can come on suddenly and escalate.
FIVE YEARS OF AGE or OLDER

Neoplasia: Primary; Metastatic

Metabolic:
Thyroid dysfunction; Hypoglycemia - insulinoma; Hepatic - cirrhosis; Electrolyte disturbances

Vascular:
Focal ischemia - Thromboembolism; vasospasm
Hemorrhage: hypertension; vasculitis

Inflammatory:
Infectious - Viral: canine distemper; parasitic; bacterial; fungal
Immune mediated

Primary: Idiopathic Epilepsy ("idiopathic" = cause unknown or undetermined)

Degenerative

Toxic: Lead; Drug related; Other exposures

POSSIBLE CAUSES OF SEIZURES BY AGE

Without any prior blood tests or diagnostics like Brain scans, it is impossible unfortuanately to say, or a post mortem to find the likely cause.
But according the the most common cause of seizures by age, cancer/brain tumour does look like the most likely unfortunately.

So sorry once again, and condolences to you and the family.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
sorry for delay in my response to all of you who replied. i cannot begin to tell you how much it has helped me and my husband.we miss him a lot but i am now coming to terms with it.i wish to thank all of you for your wonderful support.
i am now learning quite a lot from this forum.wish i had joined earlier.
again thank you all.

shree x

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
So sorry for this awful shock you are coping with. No explanations I'm afraid - just wanted to say we went though the sudden loss of our dog in March. I only know how we felt and hope that once all the whys and what ifs have been gone through you will remember the good times with your boy.

·
Registered
151 Posts
So very sorry, sending my condolances to u and yr family. You did all that u could and Im sure yr vet did. My dogs are like my children so I know how u must be feeling, but at least he was lavished with love while he was alive. Perhaps in time u can come to love another needy dog xxxxxxxxxxx

·
Registered
7,036 Posts
I am so sorry. Dogs are very stoic so he had probably been poorly for a while just didn't let anyone know.

My previous dog seemed fine in himself acting normal, eating normal etc but his tummy was a bit swelled so popped him to the vets, I was a bit concerned because he had pinched a cooked chicken wing so thought it was to do with that. Had to leave him for tests and the vet rang 2 hours later to say he had a tumour and there was no functioning liver left.

Vet said he had 2 or 3 days at the most or it could be hours - he was 5 years old. We had the option to take him home whilst we came to terms with the shock but vet warned if we got the timing wrong fluid & toxins would build up pressing on his lungs and heart and he could have fits. I didn't want Benson distressed so he was pts that afternoon. So I understand what a terrible shock the suddeness is

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.