Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Pitbulls, ;(

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by emilylp, Aug 4, 2009.

1. emilylp

emilylp PetForums VIP

Well was just watching Send in the dogs It was a realy interesting show about police dogs and allsorts of clever stuff they did (cocker spaniel sniffing for drugs and money) and loads of GSD persuaing criminals,

However it then went to *a pitbull type dog has been spotted in some ones garden*

Straight away please officer said we'll have to take this dog as there on the banned list bla bla bla , saying they were dangerous ect ect,

when they got to the dog , it was only young about 18months id say, gorgeus looking , and friendly as anything , didnt even bark when the officer when in,the officer said hes a realy friendly chap but as hes on the registered list and is a dangerous dog we must persue the case, any way the owner showed up , upset at the matter and said can i say bye to him then? the officer said yes and he went to let the dog off the lead as he obviously didnt want her to take his pet! So the woman dragged it off into her car and said if tests show it is infact a pitbull breed it will have to stay with us.

Later on in the show they had to rescue a pitbull which was being starved and they was saying it was aggressive

These 2 dogs both got put down. :(

I was quite upset as the 1st dog for sure was well looked after and looked realy happy and friendly

its just bad to think (that yes these breeds obviously do have it in them then most dogs to attack) but the numptys who treat them badly for fighting have spoiled it for the whole breed good or bad!

2. Kinjilabs

Kinjilabs PetForums VIP

There are no bad dogs!! just bad owners!poor dogs PTS cos of total idiots!

3. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I wish they would stop with this stupid bsl :(
    Those poor poor dogs, I hate watching things about pits it just makes me so upset. I knew a woman who had one and she was the lovliest dog I ever met she was so gentle but then the amnesty came in and she was pts rather than hidden.

I love the breed I feel sorry for the dogs but at the end of the day if you have one you are doing something illegal and therefore there will be consequences.
    I wish the police were as strict with other illegal things that are so much more important than taking these dogs but they have got it into their head that all pits are vicious people attacking dogs and they are not :(

x

4. emilylp

emilylp PetForums VIP

Exactly, there quick to put a dog down but if a human commints a big crime the law will give a poxy sentence!

5. Johnderondon

Johnderondon PetForums VIP

They didn't ban a breed. They banned a 'type'. Staffordshires that grow too tall, mastiffs that are too small and any number of crossbreeds from perfectly legal breeds can, and have, been deemed to be of 'type'.

The vast majority of owners that have had dogs seized under the DDA felt that their dogs were absolutely NOT pit bull or pit bull crosses. The dogs didn't deserve it and neither did the owners.

6. Johnderondon

Johnderondon PetForums VIP

Attack who? If you're talking people, which is what the DDA is designed to protect, then you would be wrong. They are not more likely to attack.

7. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Pitbulls are beautiful dogs. They are wonderful when trained properly - just like any other dog.

Unfortunately, until the attitude of this country changes and the law along with it more of these beautiful animals will be condemmed!

What really gets me is the owners KNOW what dogs they are, KNOW what will happen when they get caught and BREED them anyway!!! :cursing:

8. Captain.Charisma

Captain.Charisma PetForums VIP

Thats f*cked, why the took the first away, if it was poseing no danger to the public and was obviously freindly and well brought up, it shouldnt be took away no matter what the breed imo.

Ban the owners not the breed !

9. caelsgirl

caelsgirl PetForums Junior

I totally agree tht this is horrendous, we watched tht show last night too!

It's not the police we need to be having a go at here, they were only doing thier jobs!

It's the owner's fault tht they got PTS, because they didn't show up to claim their animals! They could've obtained a licence for them so avoided them being PTS. You can have a pittbull if you have a licence for one can't you?? I may be wrong . . sorry if I am!:D

10. Nicci

Nicci Guest

You can't claim a PBT from police kennels if thats what the police believe it to be, you can't get a licence to keep them either.

11. caelsgirl

ahhh ok, sorry i thought you could:( shame tht!

But the narrater of the program did say tht because the owners didn't claim the dogs and they were found to be a pitbull "type" they were PTS.

Now I have a problem with tht! They can't prove the dog's a pitbull, so they lable it as a "type" Hmmmm there's something wrong with tht picture!!!:mad:

12. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

that program made me feel sick i turned over when the poor young pit bull was seized!:( i dont know how that police woman can sleep & night she knew she'd signed that dogs death sentence:mad:

13. caelsgirl

Thts a difficult one tht and normally i'd argue tht "she was only doing her job . . she would be in trouble if she was seen to be doing nothing . . blah blah" BUT the c** then said " I'm glad were putting him to sleep" :cursing: NOW THTS AN ATTITUDE TO BE PROUD OF!!!! NOT!!!

14. Nicci

Nicci Guest

I didn't watch the programme, but you can't claim something back if police believe it to be 'of type' I read that the owner did turn up to see her dog on here, but the police wouldn't have allowed her to walk away with the dog unfortunately :(

I didn't watch and probably would have done the same as you if I had :(

15. noushka05

yes she should be ashamed:mad: she claimed she was a dog lover!! yeah right!!:mad:

16. noushka05

it was heartbreaking Nicci:( he was just a big soft puppy:( i wont watch that program again!:thumbdown:

17. caelsgirl

It was his heartbreaking look behind the bars of the kennel tht got me!! :(

18. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

And the comment from the police woman 'I wouldn't want a pitbull in a park with my child' shows the ignorance and level of education we are dealing with. If the officer who is 'trained' to recognise banned breeds has this narrow minded and incorrect image then what chance do the dogs have?

I do however agree that dogs who have obviously been used for fighting and have been removed from the sort of morons who use them in that area, are better off being PTS.

19. MissG

MissG PetForums VIP

It's a shame that dog was put to sleep, but the owner should not have broken the law and bought it. Just like the breeder shouldn't have bred it.

First of all, the only people who break the law are people up to no good. I highly doubt anyone on this forum would buy a APBT. Because we are all law abiding people. Decent people.

The people who breed and buy these dogs do so because they are illegal. A fashion accessory? For fighting?
    There shouldn't be any dogs on the DDA in this country.

Are there any really good APBT breeders in this country? Of course not, those dogs aren't bred for their sound temperament, they are bred to make money and for fighting.

We could all see that that Pit Bull in question was not aggressive towards people. But there weren't any dogs around, so we can't comment on it's dog aggression. Granted, there weren't any signs of fighting scars on the dog, but it was only young.

Would anyone preferred to have seen that dog carry on with it's owner, to in a years time be involved in dog fights?

I agree that that dog should have been PTS. Because if it hadn't, then it's one rule for friendly towards people dogs, and one rule for the ones who aren't.

He wasn't PTS for the safety of people, he was PTS for his own safety, the safety of other dogs potentially and one step closer to stopping dog fighting.

I have no doubts that that dog would have been bred from. He wasn't neutered.

And how on earth do you take a dog like that to the vets? Surely the vet will not be happy and will probably report that person.
    So we have lots of APBT's who are not visiting the vets anymore - for jabs, injuries, when ill etc
    The poor things can sometimes be better off asleep.

20. dobermummy

dobermummy Banned

Brilliant post, just what I wanted to say but worded better :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice