Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

PITBULLS AND BABIES

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Kane123, Jun 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kane123

Kane123 Banned

I need advice... My dad hates pitbulls and is so scared my boyfriends dog is going to kill my daughter . He's called the cops to check on her. He begs me not to take my daughter around her. My boyfriend says I'm being paranoid because of my dad. But after seeing a dog fight for the fist time I'm terrified too. It's not just because they're pitbulls it's because they are very strong powerful dogs that can kill in seconds

2. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Are these the same dogs who you have referred to in your other thread?

Calvine likes this.
  3. Kane123

Kane123 Banned

It is one of them

4. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Well, you have had our advice on the other thread.

If this Pitbull is resident at the house where the dog fight took place, then you should not take your Daughter there again.

cheekyscrip, Lurcherlad and MiffyMoo like this.
  5. Kane123

Kane123 Banned

S
    My bf and I are looking for a place. And he likes to take her when we go to park or walk around

6. SpicyBulldog

SpicyBulldog PetForums VIP

Pit Bulls are a very misunderstood breed and often thought of as being dangerous. Generally though they are great with children, they tend to love people and be affectionate. You're dad as being paranoid, as it's statistically unlikely the dog will kill your daughter. She's more likely to die in a car accident or due to accidental drowning.
    Dog aggression and human aggression are two different types of aggression steming from different genes and drives.
    I have Pit Bulls and young children, while I recognize they may harm each other or other animals (prey drive), I've no fear or concern that that will kill my kids.
    True, powerful breeds could likely do more severe damage quicker, but I don't see that as a reason to live in fear or keep small children away from big dogs. Would your dad suggest she not ride in a car?

7. ouesi

ouesi Guest

If this is regarding the other thread, I'll simply repeat.
    Your daughter should not be around any dog who is not under control of the human handler. Any dog, regardless of breed. This is not a pitbull issue, this is an irresponsible owner issue.

If there are dogs in the home fighting and the owners are not able to prevent this from happening, yes, that poses a danger to your daughter (and yourself TBH).

It's not because the dog in question is a pitbull, it's because the dog in question is not being managed or handled responsibly.

8. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Absolutely.

There are a number of large dogs in this household and, according to the OP's other thread, they fight if allowed together.

Her three year old child was in this house when two serious fights happened.

Absolutely unimportant what Breeds these are, a baby should not be around serious dog fights.

9. SpicyBulldog

I agree prevention is key, but when this fails? What do you suggest, getting rid of dogs or having children removed from the home!?!?

It might not be a breed issue, but the grand father is making it one. That's why he's concerned. It is a breed known for dog to dog issues as well. So while breed might seem unimportant, many people in a multi Pit household have children and of course experience dog fights. My youngest is 4.

Now if the BF isn't trying to prevent the fights and it has been indicated that he's irresponsible from a previous thread, then I understand concern to a degree. Though my biggest concern would be more for the safety and sake of the dogs that are continued to be allowed to fight, rather than the child. *Hope this makes, while the child is likely not in harm's way one of these dogs can end up severaly injuring each other due to owners laziest. Not saying in general I'm more concerned for a dog than a human.

For OP, Pit Bulls or other DA dogs can be successfully managed to prevent fights most of the time. If the dogs can't be around each other without fighting or things getting heated, then they need to be kept separated. "Crate and rotate" is something you want to learn about. It doesn't have to be crating, you can use doors/baby gates or have a dog outdoors while another one is indoors, if you have the space you can use bigger welded wire kennels in home, but for some crating in a separate room works fine. Like I said my youngest is 4 and thinking about It, last serious issue I had in my home she was a year old. So except for rare incidents, DA dogs can live in the same household without repeatative fights. It is the owners responsibility to prevent dogs from bringing harm to themselves. People who can't do that shouldn't own this breed! Of course it goes for any breed as well, but one where it's wise to be prepared for dog aggression and make no effort to keep dogs separated is senseless and unfair to the dogs.

#9 SpicyBulldog, Jun 30, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2017
  10. ouesi

ouesi Guest

I think you're missing the part where these dogs are NOT being managed safely or responsibly. These are not the OP's dogs, so OP has no control over how the dogs are managed. Given that, the OP's only choice is to keep her daughter safe.

My own children have lived their whole lives with large dogs including a bull breed mutt, there have been fights, but we managed them safely, and the kids know to get out of the way. Actually, now that they're older, they know how to break up a fight safety should one happen.

But this is not the case in this instance, it's one giant red flag situation that I would steer far away from.

11. SpicyBulldog

Yes @ouesi I do not know the whole story, as I found this post a bit confusing. It is the BF and not the OP, but they are looking for a place together. So the baby would be in their shared home eventually. She also might not have control NOW, but when the time comes. If she is going to share a place it's good to gain knowledge now about Pits and how to manage dog aggression (could also pass this info to her BF now, even if her daughter won't be there the dogs are in jeopardy). If she doesn't feel comfortable leaving her daughter in the BF care at this point I can understand, but I wouldn't base that solely on the fact there are Pit Bulls (like her Dad) or that she witnessed a dog fight. But if he's irresponsible with the dogs (frequent fights,ect) he could very well be irresponsible with their daughter. There is also no telling how the dog is bred or raised (which could be poorly) and we already know about irresponsible management.
    I did say if he's not being responsible and there's no prevention that's a problem. As their seems to be indication of that in Sweety's post.
    Like you said you have managed them safely, I think what got me in the post I quoted was "Absolutely unimportant what Breeds these are, a baby should not be around serious dog fights." It seems very black and white, took it as saying child shouldn't be in a house where serious fights have happened/could happen. Meaning as an absolute. Not simply down to management/prevention or safely dealing with it, should it happen.

12. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

This child does not live in this household. She was left there for a while by her Mother.

Only one of the dogs, as I understand, is a Pitbull, the others are other large Breeds.

The dogs will not tolerate each other, so are kept separately but, apparently. twice in a short space of time, the dogs were accidentally allowed to meet and two separate fights occured.

My Sons grew up with many dogs and I absolutely believe that was good for them but, this situation is a potentially dangerous one for a three year old to be in the middle of.

When the adults were all trying to split up the fighting dogs, who was supervising the little girl?

Caution has to be the word here and, in my opinion, this is not a safe situation for any child to be caught up in.

13. SpicyBulldog

I assumed this since they are looking for a place together that they live separately and daughter was left with dad during time of fight.

Also the mom doesnt seem to want to leave the daughter there anymore as advised, but still seems concerned because the dog is a Pit and also that she witnessed the dog fight. As she said her BF still likes to bring the dog to the park or on walks, so even though child won't be at that house she's worried for safety of her child around the dog at all.

I assumed all were Pits by the title of this thread. I didn't know otherwise. Though the management and prevention info still applies.

That's not good, if in such a short time span, that's incredibly sloppy management. Sometimes things happen even if you put effort, but seems like more or less not really being careful enough and probably preventable.
    It's also a bit odd, I understand dogs of any breed might not get along together BUT none of the (however many dogs in this house) get along and will fight immediately!!

I am not sure what all transpired when the girl was there, but a 3 year old doesn't (shouldn't) need constant supervision. Who supervises a 3 year old when the parent showers? This seems like a poor reason to be concerned. I'm more concerned that if they can't care for dogs, they probably can't care for the child.

During my last serious fight the kids were all sleeping, it was morning and I had to wake 12 year old to help me separate the dogs. I had a near issue when my oldest was 2-3 years old. I had 3 out running and playing together, the cows came close to the fence. One started barking at the cows, another was jumping and getting excited and jumping at the barker, the 3rd was just kind like whatever. But I knew inevitably a fight would break out between the 2 at least with all the adrenaline and the one agitating the other who was barking. I called the dog off her aggressive behavior and put them all in the house to calm down (carried one) . My toddler son was outside with me, so would have been in my supervision if a fight started, though I'd be focussed on the dogs it's unlikely he's going to go get into trouble.
    If it happens now I will tell my small ones to simply stand back while adults seperate the fight. My youngest is likely to be around in my direct supervision as she likes to be my shadow, though if she's in her room or wherever she's just as fine as if no fight had broken out, though not in direct supervision.

Kane123 likes this.
  14. Kane123

Kane123 Banned

Sorry the post is confusing. There's a total of 4 dogs 3 my boyfriends parents own. My boyfriend has 1 dog she is a pitbull. She got in a fight with my boyfriends parents lab while my boyfriend and my 3 year old were laying on the couch in the same room as the fight. My boyfriend sat my daughter in the bedroom and managed to break up fight number 1. As me and his parents came back from going on a drive his dad let his male pitbull inside where their other old dog (not sure what breed) was also in the living room. This started fight number 2. My bf and his dad managed to get them apart by slamming his nose in the door. As soon as I got in my daughter was sitting on the bed unharmed just scared. I got her out of the house and she has not been over since. I refuse to take her back over because I felt she was in danger. I was so scared! My bf thinks I'm being paranoid but he respects my decision of not bringing her to his parents house anymore. I feel she is lucky to be alive because of all the horror stories I've hear about babies and kids being attacked and killed by dogs :( maybe I am being paranoid but all I could do was hope those dogs weren't going to get to her before I could. My bf says he'd kill the dogs before they could hurt her but I'm so scared of them getting completely out of control and her getting involved or them knocking the bedroom door down and her getting hurt during a dog fight . I never had this fear before and I would take her over here all the time and have my bf watch her for hours while I was at work. It was never a problem.

#14 Kane123, Jul 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
  15. SpicyBulldog

I'd talk to your boyfriend about properly separating them to prevent any future fights (crates, kennels, ect) and buy some godamn breaking sticks!!! SMASHED the dogs nose in a door. :Banghead These don't sound like responsible people. If the dogs don't get along why would his dad let his own Pit in? These people ate senseless. I hope you will be able to find yourselves a place together.
    My 4 year old knows about dog safety (she probably understands more about preventing a fight than his clueless parents), it is something you should teach your daughter, especially if you're getting a place with your BF and his Pit. Though even if you don't it's still important to teach the basics not to pet strange dogs / ask the owner, when dogs growl it's a warning, don't hug dogs or get in their face, don't pet dogs when they are eating, ect. Your BF did the right thing by removing her from the situation and separating the fight.

#15 SpicyBulldog, Jul 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
  16. Kane123

Kane123 Banned

I
    I completely agree with you. I can't believe with the dogs they have how they are still having dog fights and can't break them up right away. His dad forgot the other old dog was in the room because they are usually down stairs for this reason. I talked to my bf about this and he said I'm just not used to having dogs.

17. SpicyBulldog

Being absent minded is pretty risky with dog aggressive dogs, especially when some of them are Pit Bulls. I can understand what your BF said, since dealing with hot dogs and dog fights isn't a big deal to me BUT that would be if they were taking steps to prevent them. I don't think it's normal to just be like whatever about it. They don't have to freak out should a one off fight happen, but should take it seriously, enough that they take steps to keep the dog apart.

18. Kane123

Kane123 Banned

True. The scary part is how many times my daughter has been in the house luckily fights don't happen often and nothing similar to this has ever happened in the past. What advice could you give me as a mom?

#18 Kane123, Jul 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
  19. SpicyBulldog

Not sure, your daughter is fine so no need to feel that way. My daughter handled my 8 year old female Pit at a show a couple months ago. I'm not concerned for my kids because there isn't a reason to be. Human aggression and dog aggression two completely different things. So I do feel that's very dramatic, she didn't almost get eaten by dogs, the dogs were focused on each other. Even still your BF did the sensible thing and took her to bedroom so she'd be away from it. She's also old enough to understand to stay away.

So this doesn't actually happen often? By previous post it was implied that this is a regular thing? Which is why I believed them to be very irresponsible. I don't think it's scary as far as the dogs fighting, dogs won't always get along. Doesn't sound like she's been in danger.

20. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

I don't think that I would be worried about the dogs eating my kid TBH! But I def wouldn't want them in that environment either. A fragile person like a child or the elderly could easily be seriously injured if they got caught up in a dog fight (its not like they pay much attention to their surrounding when they are focused on killing each other!).
    The parents don't sound like they have much of a management plan, either that or they don't take things seriously enough. I do crate and rotate and have for some time now, I think Ive only had 1 incident where I didn't shut a crate properly...and my boys can be together for a little while before WW3 kicks off! My hat is off to anyone who manages big breed dogs that don't get along though. I find it stressful and scary enough and my dogs are the size of a shoebox!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice