Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Pitbull puppy behaviour

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by ALEX2B, Apr 26, 2017.

1. ALEX2B

ALEX2B PetForums Newbie

Hi all, do not know if there is someone that can maybe help with some good to know info that might potentially help me with my male pitbull puppy. I adopted him with not knowing his age, but it has been two months or even more now and boy, does he keep us busy.

My question is related to chewing, he chews plastic bottles until they flat, loves shredding toilet paper, do not know how many shoes i've given up on saving due to him chewing them beyond repair. And yesterday chewed my prescription glasses (gone too far). He constantly nibbles which in the beginning is soft but at end those nibbles turn into biting. He doesn't give up, just has to have last say.

Will this chewing ever stop? What can I do to minimize /stop this behavior?
    Any advice would help *exhausted*

2. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Damage limitation.

Our Staffy was exactly the same as a pup. She would chew anything and everything and my glasses got chewed up too.

Your pup will grow out of this behaviour but, in the meantime, you have to make sure anything he could chew is put away or out of his reach. Close your bathroom door so he can't shred the toilet paper, put clothes and shoes away and make sure items such as your glasses are away and out of his reach.

Make sure he has plenty of toys of his own that he can chew.

If Rudi did ever manage to pinch an item, I would offer her a toy to 'swap'. I would say "mine", take the forbidden item and give her the toy. She did quickly learn to drop anything she did manage to pinch.

Lurcherlad and ouesi like this.
  3. ouesi

ouesi Guest

The chewing may never stop, sorry. I have a 9 year old bull-breed mix who is still very much a power chewer and will spend hours working on an antler, can destroy "indestructible" toys, loves nothing more than shredding boxes, popping bubble wrap etc.

What you can minimize is the chewing of inappropriate items. Most of that is simple management. Get him used to a crate, make it a place he enjoys being, and have a safe chew in the crate, and whenever you can't directly supervise, he needs to be in the crate not only for the safety of your belongings, but for his own safety as well. If he doesn't get in to the habit of eating shoes, it won't become an ingrained behavior.

Sairy likes this.
  4. danielled

danielled Guest

The chewing they grow out of it. I'd be careful about announcing you have a pitbull. Especially if you are in the uk as here announcing you have a pitbull can get you and the dog in trouble. BSL for you they are stupid people who ban breeds. Make sure pup has plenty of chews and toys.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  5. Beckyboo1986

Beckyboo1986 PetForums Newbie

Sadly I agree with Danielled. You should follow the correct procedures to get your pup fully registered.

As with the chewing, it sound like maybe a bit of boredom/teething. Have you tried giving him a Kong? They usually last quite a while or a few other treats for him to chew on. Try not to leave anything around that he can nibble on that you don't want him to.

I can't offer much more advice sorry. I used to use a 'Chew off' spray thing for my Beagle. It just tastes bag but I'm sure you don't want to spray your shoes on things like that.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice