Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Pitbull next door.....

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Kittenfostermummy, Jan 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kittenfostermummy

Kittenfostermummy PetForums VIP

My neighbour has just recently got a new dog/puppy (not sure which as not seen it just heard the poor thing crying for hours on end when she is in work and kids are in school!!)

Talking to her friend earlier about the dog I was told it was an American Pitbull dog!!! These are illegal and I know some are lovely dogs WHEN HANDLED CORRECTLY but I know this home is not right for one!! The boys will use it as status and the mother has never owned a dog long term (she had a pitbull for a few weeks before and then got rid!!)

Just tried calling the non-emergency police line to report it as I am not at all happy having this breed next door to me even though I know if it gets taken off them it will mean being PTS and at the end of the day it is not the dogs fault for being born in the wrong country but what else should I do?!?! The police have told me to call my council dog warden to report it so I will either do this tomorrow or call the RSPCA welfare officer that I know through volunteering for some more advice.

Am I doing the right thing?? Should I just leave it and risk my own dog and cats?? (Fence between the two houses is 4" maximum and easily dug under!!) Should I allow this innocent for now dog to stay with this family and therefore have a life when I know it may mean putting people at risk and/or other animals???

Manoy Moneelil likes this.
  2. dandogman

dandogman PetForums VIP

I would do the same.

They are banned in this country for a reason. Dont let it put a risk to your animals.

ETA: Like others have said, I do hope it is an Ambull.

#2 dandogman, Jan 11, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  3. H0lly

H0lly PetForums VIP

Are you sure they re not confused on the breed and it is actually a American Bulldog ?

4. 8tansox

8tansox PetForums VIP

You were only "told" it was a pitbull, you haven't actually seen the dog have you? :nonod:

5. momentofmadness

momentofmadness PetForums VIP

I personally would think that she had the name wrong and it is more than likely to be the latest craze of dog which is the AMB.. American Bulldog..

6. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Make sure it actually IS a pitbull before you go around reporting it.

7. BumbleFluff

BumbleFluff PetForums VIP

Maybe they had mistaken it for an american bulldog? My mum kept making that mistake when we got beamer

8. Kittenfostermummy

I know I have not seen the dog BUT I know for a fact from speaking to neighbour before that she has already once owner a pitbull (her own words) and would own one again!! In my area there is a huge population of Pits, I saw another one only today walking that was deffo a red nosed Pit! It is not hard to get hold of them around here and they are often used as status dogs!!

I think I will call the RSPCA WO tomorrow and she will be able to tell me where to go from here.

9. Obzocky

Obzocky PetForums Member

If they valued their dogs life they would not say the dog is a pitbull. That's a ridiculous thing to say,

At the risk of sounding naive pitbulls (whether genuine or just the label given to dogs that look the part) are not anymore likely to savage your dog/cats than your average bull terrier, not unless encouraged. They may have a high prey drive (so yes, your cats may be at risk if they encounter each other) but no more than if they'd purchased a Dandie Dinmont, and they may have all the tenacity of a JRT should something start but there still has to be a trigger for it to occur.

Wrong family? Perhaps. But that does not justify reporting a dog you have not seen/can not be sure is genuinely a pitbull. A lot of "pitbulls" in this country are not, they are just bull terrier crosses who look the part. Even those red noses tend to be less pit and more anything that looks the type.

Don't trust the words of someone who would say such things. Take the dog as an individual, report it if you really feel the need, I wouldn't, but that's because I think the dog has a right to develop before being put through the system, especially if it's a pup. That's just me though.

#9 Obzocky, Jan 11, 2012
  10. Kittenfostermummy

I doubt it is an ABD as they are quite up on these types of dogs and like I said before she has said she wants another Pitbull! It maybe that the WO tells me there isnt anything to do until I have actually seen it etc BUT I am not someone to be afraid of dogs in general and I dont think it is fair that I am now uneasy about allowing my animals out into their own garden!

11. Obzocky

Obzocky PetForums Member

I have to say it's a puppy. A puppy that has yet to do anything to warrant feeling uneasy about it. Calm down, think about it logically, see if you can see the pup for yourself. People get worked up over the words "pitbull" and that in itself can cause more harm than the dog itself.

Edit: how secure is your garden? If you have fencing up the dog is unlikely to batter it down just to get at your animals, despite what people may tell you. I come from a dodgy part of the Midlands, the type where driving instructors drop you off outside the estate, and i'll say this - the "pitbulls" around here may look the part, but they're soft as a sponge unless trained. I doubt she's training them for the fighting pits. Was the last dog particularly aggressive? Whilst used as a "status" dog has the family, in your previous experience with their prior short-term dogs, ever given you reason to feel that they would, in anyway, encourage the dog to do anything other than make the boys look tough?

The potential is there, if this is genuinely a pit, I will not deny that. But generally it has to be nurtured. They may be slightly more prone to inter-dog aggression (like many other breeds) and that can be a worry, but unless there's easy access to your garden that should not be a concern. Personally anyway. That and again I say "this is a puppy".

I am not saying don't report it if you genuinely feel like that's your only option.
    I am saying hold off from setting off this chain of events until you've seen the dog and given it time to do something to warrant the uneasiness you're feeling.

#11 Obzocky, Jan 11, 2012
  12. EllesBelles

EllesBelles PetForums Senior

I'd be careful reporting it as a bulldog if you are not 110% convinced it is one. If its not purebred, with papers, which seems unlikely in the circumstances you've described, it might be pts if the owners cannot prove it is not a pitbull.

If you need to complain, complain about the manner in which it is kept, and that you don't feel safe. I wouldn't report the breed, though, and I'd consider getting a better fence.

13. momentofmadness

momentofmadness PetForums VIP

Only knowing from experience and hearing about it.. if the dog is reported.. and the authorities decide it is a pitbull whether it is or not.. It will be destroyed..

My old neighbour bought a staff.. She was given copied paper work and she took it the vets .. The vet said adorable .. she took it a few months on the vet decided it was a pit.. had my neighbour consent there and then to it being pts and told my neighbour what it would do to her kids if he didn't.. :(

The dog was a staff x.. I seen the dog my kids had been out with it..

14. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

Punish the deed not the breed....

and as this poor pup has not done anything....

#14 paddyjulie, Jan 11, 2012
  15. Mophie

Mophie PetForums Senior

I personally probably wouldn't report it. Not right now any way, and not without seeing the puppy and possibly interacting with it. It does seem like you've heard the name "pit bull" and your mind has gone into overdrive. I couldn't live with myself being the reason a puppy was PTS.

16. Spud the Bull Terrier

Spud the Bull Terrier PetForums Senior

Unless the dog is posing an actual threat to you or yours, (and I mean a real threat not just a fear based on a name) then I would keep my nose out.

Deed not breed

17. CKD1

CKD1 PetForums Junior

This dog hasn't done anything! The likely-hood of it being a pitbull is slim to none, it's most like a staffy or staffy cross breed. This is why innocent dogs are being seized up and down the country because of knee jerk reactions. It's not fair that dogs are being victimised before they have done anything wrong. :nonod:

It's BSL gone mad because of scaremongering by the press :nonod:

18. Jugsmalone

Jugsmalone PetForums VIP

You have not seen the dog, it is hearsay, and as others have said, this dog could be an American bulldog, which are often mistaken for pitbulls. When Buster was a puppy I was asked a few times if he was a pitbull. He's an AB.

Until you know the full facts and have seen this dog for yourself I think it would be best to leave off reporting anything. There may be nothing to report!

19. gesic

gesic PetForums VIP

FGS this dog is left outside on their own to cry and feel neglected!
    If thats not bad enough its now got u lot starting rumours as to wether or not its an illegal breed:confused:
    Who cares if its a so called Pit or not! Its not done anything wrong, no savaged children, no torn up pets.
    Call Rspca, council yes for neglect but not for an aggressive animal:mad:

20. Superash

Superash PetForums VIP

. I would make sure you have your facts absolutely correct and not from hearsay, you could be condemning this poor dog for no reason at all as the authorities that be cant tell a pure pit bull from a poodle. You could end up looking very silly (and cruel) for no reason just because you believe what some gossip has told you. You need concrete proof before meddling:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice