Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

pitbull eating and behavior problems

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by sayitsnotso23, Sep 3, 2013.

1. sayitsnotso23

sayitsnotso23 PetForums Newbie

Hi my name is Mysti, my husband and I adopted a 2 yr old female pitbull fromour local animal shelter on 4/20/13 when we got her we found out that she had major issues with her skin which we took her to a vet and had diagnosed as pyoderma, she was treated for it and the problem got itself under control, but now we have a whole new problem! As of a few weeks ago she started gulping her food down super fast without chewing...then throwing up and having diarrhea all over the house... We have had to throw out two couches because of this issue and it is getting to be expensive not to mention rough on our poor girl. We have tried EVERYTHING to slow down her eating including putting rocks or tennis balls in her dish, feeding her small amounts, feeding her out of an ice cube tray, off a cookie sheet, and softening her food with chicken broth or water, finally a couple weeks ago we started her on some wet food mixed with a little dry and we monitor her eating closely so we can stop her when she starts to gulp. All day yesterday she had normal solid stools and was feeling fine, she let us know when she needed to go out every time ...we let her out before we went to bed and she went potty. Sometime in the 5 hours of sleep I managed to get, instead of letting us know she had to go out she pooped all over the house again ...how to I end this vicious cycle save my carpet and help our poor girl feel better?

2. Prowl

Prowl Guest

How soon is she fed between exercise and meal times?

Do you guys get Kongs?? You can get extra large ones and split the meals up.

Have you tried raised bowls???

3. BenBoy

BenBoy Banned

4. Prowl

Prowl Guest

5. sayitsnotso23

She had Kong's we have tried splitting it up and she still goes everywhere..except outside and yes I am American...and desperate for an answer

6. Prowl

Prowl Guest

How long before and after exercise do you feed her?

7. sayitsnotso23

Normally an hour to two hours

8. Scabbers

Scabbers PetForums Senior

Have you tried hiding her food so she has to search for it?

Its fun and stimulating and there is no way she can gulp it down.

9. Scabbers

Scabbers PetForums Senior

As a side note there is always treatballs and wobble kongs. I even stuff a sock inside the wobble kong so the kibble doesn't come out very fast :D

10. sayitsnotso23

No omg I never thought of that...or the Kong! She loves her Kong :) how would I do that though?

11. sayitsnotso23

Omg no I hadn't even thought of that...she loves her Kong especially when there is peanut butter involved lol

12. sopott

sopott PetForums Senior

Snoopy used tu gulp his dry food, I used to alternate the kong wobbler and treat balls, kong genius, busy buddy, etc. put the dry food in and make sure only one piece of kibble can come out.

If you feed wet food, you can stuff it into a normal kong, or a hoof or hollow bone. If its hot where you are you can also freeze it, and give it frozen. But the cold food might upset her stomach.

13. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

It could be the food she's having; if her food irritates her digestive system, she will have loose poos, and an irritated gut can't absorb nutrients properly, so that could lead to the gulping as she would feel starved.

It could be worth trying her on a fish and potato based food, as the cereals in most dog food is the commonest cause of this sort of problem. Orijen is a really good food and is made in USA, so available to you. It's quite expensive, but you feed less than cheaper brands; it can work out not much different (particularly if you take the costs of new couches and carpets into account). Or try feeding raw. If she could be confined to areas of tiled floor at night, or not supervised, it would be easier to clean up.

Have you had her tested for campylobacter infection, or infestations of protozoa such as giardia? Both of these could cause loose poos and an irritated gut, too. There may well be other causes in the USA that we don't get here. What does your vet say about her eating issues?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice