Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Pit Bull Question

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by nerd of prey, Jul 24, 2009.

1. nerd of prey

nerd of prey PetForums Junior

#1 nerd of prey, Jul 24, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2009
  2. nerd of prey

oops meant to post this in dog chat!

3. Chillinator

Chillinator Guest

Correct me if I'm wrong but they're more or less the same thing.

Unless there are any legal loopholes these dogs are banned under the 1991 Dangerous Dogs Act, along with the Japanese Tosa, Dogo Argentino (sounds like a mexican dish) and Fila Brasileiro.

If you want the thread to be moved then you can PM a mod. ;)

4. MissG

MissG PetForums VIP

I'm pretty sure all they are doing is missing out the word Pit.

Crossbreeds of dogs on the dangerous dogs act are illegal, so yes, those dogs have been bred and are being sold illegally.

5. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

No such breed as an American Bull Terrier.
    There Bull Terrier is the same as here.

I reckon that they are just missing out the Pitt,I would be very cautious about the litter as they could well turn out to be "type" and subject to the DDA/BSL.

6. kristy

kristy PetForums Member

American bulldogs are NOT american pit bulls, they are a breed that are recognised all over the world and have their own registry in the uk,they are very simular to pit bull dogs and sadly their are alot of owners fighting to get their dogs back as they get taken alot as been pit bull type. they even have their own rescue here in the uk which im sure if they were just pit bulls wouldnt be allowed.
    ABR UK is the breeds main site, they are the registry for the breed and they are great dogs which sadly have the stigma of the american pit bull attached.
    sorry if no one else agrees but i love this breed and have oned one in the past.
    just my opinion though and im sure somewill say they are the same breed:cool:

opps just noticed it says american bull terrier...lol note to self MUST START WAREING MY GLASSES...lol

#6 kristy, Jul 24, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2009
  7. nerd of prey

Just to clarify, I don not want to buy one of these dogs I just saw it and did a double take. Surely people wouldn't be so blatent about selling controlled animals and can anything be done? Can these people be reported? I have nothing against pit bulls just the idiots who put other people at risk by breeding them as 'status' dogs

8. Nicci

Nicci Guest

American Bulldogs are nothing like Pit Bull Terriers :rolleyes: where have you got your information from? As nearly all of it is wrong, even down the registeries that recognise the dogs.

ABR is Andy James own registery, the main two registeries for American Bulldogs are the ABA and the NKC :rolleyes: Dogs can either be registered with the ABA or the NKC or duel registered with both.

#8 Nicci, Jul 24, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2009
  9. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

I love American bulldogs I blame Homeward Bound but they're not the same breed I would say they've just left off pit in the name. It is illegal to sell pitbulls but you can own one I think if you follow the ridiculous rules in the DDA.

10. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

It is illegal to own,sell,breed or gift a dog listed on the DDA and it's "Type".

11. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

I thought you could get it licensed if it was proven to be type and then keep it muzzled and leashed in public. I might be mistaken though.

12. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

No you can't,
    The only way is if the owner is charged under the DDA and goes to court,again this is down to the discretion of the court.
    The dog will then be added to the index of exempt dogs.

13. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Could it be an Amstaff bitch?

Some people are so stupid they dont even know what breed of dog they own. Probably a crossbreed mother.

14. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

Ah ok thats where I got confused.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice