Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Pippa's first Good Citizen this evening

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by dandogman, Sep 4, 2013.

1. dandogman

dandogman PetForums VIP

I'm quite excited, I enjoyed taking Molly to the puppy classes so much, I booked Pippa into classes too... Pippa's is today and Molly's is on Friday.

I'm confident that Pippa will do fine :)

2. Alice Childress

Alice Childress PetForums VIP

Aww good luck to Pippa and Molly.

Maggie's starting a Good Citizen class on Friday (I couldn't find one when she was a tiny pup that I liked, so went to another puppy class and follow on class with her). Looking forward to actively working towards achieving something!

3. rona

rona Still missing my boys

Good luck :)

What time are you on later to let us know how you do?

4. dandogman

dandogman PetForums VIP

Class ends at 6.30 so I'll be home by 7. I'll update this thread by 8 I'm sure.

5. dandogman

dandogman PetForums VIP

It went pretty well!

Pippa settled right down and was ignoring other dogs by the end. Pippa came 3rd in the a little fun competition (basically how fast our dogs did the commands we gave - sit, stand and down - don't know how we got that far as I've never taught her stand!!!). She did however, unfortunately choke on her treats 3 times, which was distressing for myself and her. I don't know how to prevent this, it's something she's always done - woolfed treats down :(

I'm looking forward to next week and indeed Friday with Molly... I'm sure she will get a celebrity welcome, as I did today from people congratulating me on the article in the paper!

The trainer also commented on how fit Pippa looked :)

6. babycham2002

babycham2002 PetForums VIP

well that sounds great :thumbup:

Re the treats, what about using a tube of liver paste or primula cheese instead?

or using something softer than current, like chopped up polony or tiny bits of cheese
    although possibly next week she wont be quite as excited and it wont happen again

7. ellenlouisepascoe

ellenlouisepascoe PetForums VIP

My hoover kept choking on his treats at puppy class too, we were using fish 4 dogs superstars.

I swapped to these, they are pretty long I hold them between the tip of my finger and thumb and let him nibble little bits off :)

Natures Menu Dog Treats with Chicken 60gm | Pets at Home

8. ellenlouisepascoe

ellenlouisepascoe PetForums VIP

and they are really soft too! Forgot to add that :D
    I buy at least two of every flavour and rotate around them every week so he always stays interested

9. dandogman

dandogman PetForums VIP

I will look into that - I was using a soft commercial dog treat, and hot dog sausage... I think it was the dog treats that caused her to choke... I will not use them next week... I'll look into your suggestions :)

Will look into these, thanks :)

10. CockersIndie

CockersIndie PetForums VIP

Congrats! Always been too nervous to try that out with indie so ill be intrigued to follow your progress!

11. KellyNelly

KellyNelly PetForums Member

Sounds like you and Pippa both did really well.

When I took Nell to training she also choked on her treats a couple of times, which was scary! She hasn't really grasped the concept of chewing and quite often then proceeded to bark at the other dogs, so either choked or barked the treat back out whole - nice!

Anyhow, we used hot dog sausage cut up really small and that seemed to be better, as they're quite soft and slimey they just slipped down!

HTH.

12. dandogman

dandogman PetForums VIP

I've been using hot dog sausage - will try to cut it up as small as I can... I think I'll try cheese too - it worked on our walk this morning.

13. dandogman

dandogman PetForums VIP

I've just got back with Molly... she did really well, especially as she hasn't been for ages. Her focus wasn't the best, but it was better than most of the dogs there, her stay was great, all her sits were spot on, even off lead heel work (the trainer did give me some garlic sausage for that). I really enjoyed myself anyway and I hope Molly did too!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice