Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Pippa the gundog!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by dandogman, Oct 5, 2013.

1. dandogman

dandogman PetForums VIP

Pippa went into the bushes on this mornings walk and came out with a live juvenile pigeon, very pleased with herself. She brought it to me straight away which I was very proud of as although we've done some gundog training on dummies it was her first 'taste' of the real thing... I'm very proud of her!

2. Thorne

Thorne PetForums VIP

Poor pigeon!

3. rona

rona Still missing my boys

Some of the pigeons seem to get a bit sick this time of year. I know Alfie has caught about 3 in his life that were in a terrible state. Maggots and everything :(

4. cinnamontoast

cinnamontoast Sois pas chiant, chéri.

What did you do with it, Dan? I was cursing my OH for dispatching and leaving behind a bunny that Bear caught. I must get him a game bag!

5. rona

rona Still missing my boys

If the mixy was going through and Alfie kept catching sick bunnies, I'd hang them up trees so that no dogs could eat them :eek: :eek:

6. cinnamontoast

Bunny was ok, apparently, not mixy. I wouldn't encourage them to eat mixy rabbits, but I know it wouldn't harm them.

7. dandogman

dandogman PetForums VIP

I humanly dispatched it... It clearly wasn't very well. Although it sounds harsh, I think it's harsher to leave it to get caught by another dog that may chew it or a slow natural death. I didn't bring it home for the dogs if that's what you mean?

8. Nicki85

Nicki85 PetForums VIP

Rusty went in to a hedge once and brought me back a young, live pheasant. It was fine and once he'd dropped it on command it flapped off back to the hedge....

Natural instinct I guess as I've not done any gundog work with him!

9. Lilylass

Lilylass PetForums VIP

Well you did better than us!

I was brought (several times!) the rather sorry remains of a seagull

One of Maisie's offspring is a cadaver dog ..... I know where the pup got her skills from!:eek:

10. mollymo

mollymo Life is Golden

Mine were out in the garden late last night for their wee's and on calling them in there was no response to them coming in....so went to investigate and they had all surrounded a poor hedgehog...not touching it but all obsessed by it:eek6:
    I told them to leave and the hedgehog made a run for it:scared:

11. cinnamontoast

Yes, I did mean that. Had it been healthy, I would have had it for their tea!

Oddly, there was a damaged pigeon at the yard this afternoon, I went over, all hopeful that I could have it, but the other girls saved it from the cat and one has taken it home to nurse back to health!

12. dandogman

dandogman PetForums VIP

It honestly didn't cross my mind... pretty silly to waste it really. Silly me.

13. Firedog

Firedog PetForums VIP

Luna once caught a sparrow and bought it back down the garden to me, surprise surprise it was fine and just hopped out of her mouth.

14. dandogman

dandogman PetForums VIP

I would say lucky in a sense actually... Pippa picked it up and presented it to me undamaged. I was able to dispatch it humanly. If Pippa hadn't have found it then it may have been there for hours or days, another dog may have found it and decapitated it or it may have died slowly.

15. Howl

Howl PetForums VIP

We were out walking D when she was younger. She disappeared for a bit when we found her she was digging about around a mud pile (mountain bike track). We popped her lead on and headed back down the hill to round off the walk when I saw something near where she had been digging that churned my stomach. A half buried babies skull. I stopped in my tracks and shouted to my husband. We both stared at it terrified.
    After closer inspection we realised that the skull was plastic and it looked so real because of how old and dirty it was. I suspect it had been used to decorate the track on halloween. :rolleyes:

I hate how many bodies are found by early morning dog walkers :nonod: especially with my snuffley gang.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice