Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Piper's ill

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by quequeg1988, Apr 10, 2011.

1. quequeg1988

quequeg1988 PetForums Member

Ok maybe she's just adjusting to being here. i got Piper a fortnight ago, she's 5 month's old now get's fed go cat kitten crunchie's and Whiska's adult food, her previous owner said this was what she got fed while they had her, thing is, im worried she could be really sick, long term. She's sleepy, right now she's slept all day, she has the run's and keeps pooping on my fireplace, i presume so she doesnt mess up her tray, she seems to be eating less too but drinking lot's. the other day her Pee was real stong smelling, im questioning the Diabeties route, my dog had this so im aware of the signs. i will check her gum's and eye's tonight to see if she's pale or has clouded eye's.

Any advice i could get would help, i plan to take her to the Vet's on Wednesday or Thursday, only time i can get down really. I'm waiting for her Insurance to be sorted too so that would help lol.
    :)

2. Cloudygirl

Cloudygirl PetForums VIP

has she been like that for the 2 weeks since you've had her?

3. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

I really dont think your kitten can wait till wednesday to visit the vet.To be honest I would be there today,.Kittens can go down hill so quickly and she needs prompt veterinary attention.With regards to your insurance this will not be of any use to you as there is a 14 day exclusion on all bar accident on most,if not all policies so hoping to have cover wont be an option.This has been going on for too long to be left any longer.Please let us know how you get on at the vets.

4. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

It would be very unusual for a 5 month old kitten to be diabetic.
    She is, however, very sick by all accounts and I would be at a vet office pronto if I were you.

5. quequeg1988

ok so i phoned my mum, mentioned her symptom's, the first thing mum mentioned was FeLV!!! she had a kitten who had to be put down due to this and it's etched on her memory, the ssymptom's are very consitant........ vet's firt thing in the morning, i'm just abvout to phone them.

6. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Please do get to the vets as soon as possible but dont go self diagnosing ,there is no reason to think that it is anything as serious as felv.It could be a virus but prompt intervention is needed with kittens.

7. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

I would take her to vets now. Her increased drinking shows she's already dehydrated. It may not be Felv but either way prompt action is needed. Otherwise she could deteriorate during the night.

8. shells

shells PetForums VIP

poor little one i hope its nothing to seriouse and that she makes a full recovery x

9. quequeg1988

she started a week after i got her (1 week today), she'd eaten a feather (i created a topic) and i though that might have been the culprit and the thing is, she's not dehydrated, unless she's different, the skin at the back of her neck goes down normally. and as for self diagnosis, believe me i try not to but in the end im almost 100% right, sad but true. call it gutt feeling if you will. i don't know anything about her parent's. now it appear's she's having difficulty jumping up, she tried to jump my washing pile on one of my chairs (lol i know but she likes to sleep on it) and failed, now she's just tried to jump up to the window sill and failed? im confused! im 23 and have had cats ALL my life, i didn't notice anything different with Magic( mums cat who was pts due to FeLV) as i was 4 at the time but my mum remember's vividly, but i've never seen anything like this, she's actually avoiding pooping in her tray and doing it down beside my wood burning stove, i can only assume she doesn't want to mess her tray up?

10. Cloudygirl

Cloudygirl PetForums VIP

if she's getting worse take her to the vets now. It might not wait until morning.

11. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

I agree^^^ this is begining to sound more urgent as time goes on.

12. missye87

missye87 PetForums VIP

Sorry to hear your kitty is sick! I would at least call tge out of hours for advice, they may have some tips and if they think she is bad enough you might have to take her in. If you earn under £30k a year you can take her to a rspca hospital ehich is much cheaper than out of hours vets.
    Keep us posted! Xx

13. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

Any news on your little kitten?

14. quequeg1988

ok :) so i called the Vet, im now overnight watch, she hasn't pooped again yet but she also hasn't pee'd in her tray or anywhere else since yesterday (well that was the last time i saw her go, an she's eaten, some well she's had 2 or 3 crunchies then walked off a couple of time's, she's been up for a cuddle, and i noticed her breath smell's really bad too. she is rather restless though, and acting slightly strange too. Just sitting there staring into space, getting up moving about lyin down gettin up, moving again. right now she's sitting looking in her litter box.

15. honeysmummy

honeysmummy PetForums VIP

i am suprised the vet didnt tell you to take her when you called..hoping she has had a good night...but i really think she needs to be at vets asap...pls dont ever have to think "if only i had taken her in sooner "

its better to be safe than sorry...will be thinking of you both today x

16. missye87

missye87 PetForums VIP

I would always prefer to pay the fee to see the vets to ensure Soots is ok than risk it too! :)

17. quequeg1988

i know, my vet's pretty good though, i live 25 miles away and don't drive or i think they would have had me down right away, he sed he was on call for me if there was any change, i think one of the vet's lives about 5/10 minutes away so i think thats who he was refering to. she's still with us today, no change though. I know its really not normal for a kitten to sleep as much as she is, she did play for 10 minutes after my last post but thats all since thursday she's only been awake for 2 or 3 hour's through the weekend. There have been no poops since yesterday morning nd i still don't think she's pee'd. even though she'#s drinking. Anyway im off for the bus, gotta get her down asap :) thank you for all your kind words, i'll keep you posted.

18. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Been following this silently - what did the vet say?

19. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

So how did it go at the vets? I assume you've been and returned since I noticed you're online now.

Abcynthia and hobbs2004 like this.
  20. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

gmta! ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice