Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

pink staining under pups eyes?

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by katiefranke, May 7, 2010.

1. katiefranke

katiefranke PetForums VIP

hi guys, thought i would ask in this section as seemed most appropriate! i have seen pics of a couple of litters lately where the pups have had like pinky red marks under their eyes and to sides of their noses. kind of like tear staining across the fur. they are border collies, so you can see it quite noticeably as it is visible on the white blaze, but also on the fur that is paler.

but what causes this? i remember seeing it on one litter when i was looking for maggie last year and then again on these two litters recently, but have never seen it on baby pups before. the pups seem healthy other than this and are from a decent breeder.

2. RachyBobs

RachyBobs PetForums VIP

It is tear stains :) 99% of dogs get it at some point, Snowy my jack russell often has it, this is a list of info on what causes it and why

* Diet: Low quality commercial dog food can result in bad tear stain. A change in diet can also affect a minority of them.
    * Teething: During teething, puppies have a tendency toward watery eyes.
    * In Heat: Female dogs tend to stain when they are in season.
    * Environment: There are certain times of the year when the eyes may be more greatly affected by irritants such as pollen dust count is high, or when the air is filled with man-made irritants, i.e. room deodorizers, sawdust, and so on.
    * Small Dogs: I won’t rule this as a concerning factor. However it does affect some small dogs more than other breeds as they are closer to the ground picking up dusts.

3. Oenoke

Oenoke PetForums VIP

I know Lunar, my split faced pup, gets pink staning on her white muzzle from mum's milk, she doesn't seem to be so bad since they are weaning now, even though they still have mum's milk sometimes, but none of mine have it like tear staining. I have seen 1 litter of BC's recently with what looks like tear staining too.

4. katiefranke

katiefranke PetForums VIP

thanks guys...i had thought maybe it wasn't tear staining and it was caused by something else... but maybe its the teething thing or the weaning then....

just odd how in all this time i have only seen it on older dogs and then last year and this year on those litters but no others.

i hadnt noticed it on any of the piccies of lunar debbie...on the pups im talking about it was very noticable, even on the ones that didnt have white fur under their eyes it was showing on the coloured fur and really quite a deep reddish mark...:confused:

5. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

my lilly is half Maltese a breed known to suffer from tear staining and although she is grey you can clearly see red staining under her eyes and a little around her muzzle.
    I know it's common in small dogs - but I've never heard of BC's getting it.
    But I supose all white faced dogs potentially could suffer fromn staining.
    here's alink explaining tear staining by a maltese breeder Tear Staining: The Causes & Cures

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice