Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Pink paws, pink face - cavachon puppy

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by Suzie W, Sep 22, 2019.

1. Suzie W

Suzie W PetForums Newbie

The search to find a Cavachon pup continues. Thanks to this forum I now understand the variations of Cavachon (F1, F2) and have another question. I went to view a pup yesterday, 4 weeks old pure Cavachon and it had a pink face and pink lower legs. The owner says it’s from feeding from Mum, and it’s very normal.., Otherwise it looked healthy and well. Any thoughts?

2. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

You mean pink hair? That often comes from itching/ excessive licking and can indicate a skin condition. Were other pups in the litter affected?

3. Suzie W

Suzie W PetForums Newbie

Thank you. Hi yes, the fairer ones were. Here’s a photo I took.

Attached Files:

4. Pricivius

Pricivius PetForums Junior

Are the dam and sire health tested - did you check their paperwork?

Suzie W and simplysardonic like this.
  5. Suzie W

Suzie W PetForums Newbie

I verbally checked, but didn’t get a copy of the paperwork. I’ve now asked. Mum and Dad were there and we talked about their health, which seemed all fine.

6. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

Not necessarily true though.

Did you discuss CM/SM testing with the breeder as that's the one they generally skip due to costs.

I wouldn't be happy without physically seeing the paperwork, it's possible to view health test results for the parents if they are on the Kennel Club website if you have the dogs' regsitered names.

7. Suzie W

Suzie W PetForums Newbie

I’ll wait for the paperwork now to double check. Yes we did discuss the tests, but I didn’t see a copy of the paperwork. That’s my oversight, but I have time to check this out before committing.

8. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

I haven't seen that discoloration in the coat of a pup before, and I bred white pups.

The face and paws should be white.

Suzie W and lullabydream like this.
  9. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Is that tear staining, so there could be blocked tear ducts? Or something worse?

Suzie W and lorilu like this.
  10. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

It looks like blocked tear ducts on the face, but that doesn't account for the paws.

Suzie W likes this.
  11. lullabydream

No it doesn't account for the paws..

Suzie W likes this.
  12. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

Could be due to rubbing if it's irritating?

Suzie W and gskinner123 like this.
  13. lullabydream

If there is some entropion? Might not be, but you are quite right if it's weeping and the puppy is rubbing then transfers

Also could be way the hair falls but then surely a good breeder would note a wayward hair causing irritation?!?!

Suzie W likes this.
  14. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

The pink discolouring on the coat around the paws is generally due to licking as it is something in the saliva that turns a white coat pink. It could be the puppy licking I suppose - I can't see why the mum would lick the pups paws. It's not a Cavvie thing as their coats are different. And yes, there is some tear staining but to be honest this isn't unusual in white pups - it may the food they are having, too. Again, not a Cavvie thing as they have eye markings. Looks like the pup has a very light coat from the Bichon genetics.

It will be very unlikely that Health Tests have been carried out (I know how much they cost for Cavalier and most don't do it for crosses).But you should have some DNA tests at the very least. And a heart certificate. Ask how old the Cavalier mum is and has she got a clear heart certificate. This is important as you don't want to inherit a heart murmur and anyone who breeds from a Cavalier should at the very least get this done.

The bottom line is, you just have to trust the breeder.

J

15. Suzie W

Suzie W PetForums Newbie

Thank you all!!! Very much appreciated.
    The Mum is the Bichon, age 6, bred three times. Dad is the King Charles Spaniel, who I think is about the same age and has been used for stud duties. I’ve asked for the health checks, so will let you know. On the colouring yes, it is the fur on the lower legs, and I guess I’ll be able to see if this improves over the next couple of weeks. Thanks again.

16. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

It is health test results you need to see not health checks. Confusing I know, but if their vet has checked the dogs over then that is a check, if they have had the proper breed appropriate tests then there will be paperwork available to see what has been done. As someone else said it is very unlikely that a cross breed had health tested parents as it is very expensive and not something that even a lot of pedigree breeders do. Unfortunately Cavaliers have serious health problems so it would be sensible not to buy a pup from an unhealth tested cav parent.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice