Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Pink discharge at 6 weeks pregnant - advice needed

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by abbscats, Aug 1, 2009.

1. abbscats

abbscats PetForums Member

My girl is 6 weeks pregnant ( I am pretty sure on the day although she was with the stud for a while) unless she was late pinking? So confused and worried.

When I came down this morning she had been a little sick so have kept a closer eye on her and she has been very over fussy, much more than usual, I had been out to do some shopping for about half hour when I came back she got up to greet me as usual and there was a pink discharge on the blanket she was lying on.

There has been no more since, she has now setting into her bed with a hot water bottle and is asleep now but worried me sick.

I am waiting for my friend to come and sit with my children so I can get her to the vets to get her checked over.

could this be a sign she is loosing the kittens? Has anyone had this happen to their girls? Any feedback would be gratefully received xx

2. abbscats

Is there no-one on here that can give me any ideas of what has happened? Vets told me just to keep her comfortable and let them know of any change which there hasn't been any but still worried that kittens have died. Do I need to insist on a scan?

3. ellie8024

ellie8024 PetForums VIP

the sickness is normal, some cats do this when pregnant (both mine did) but if you have taken the cat to the vet and they say just watch her then things should be ok. I am presuming the vet felt her belly?

4. abbscats

yes thnks for the reply, i knew the sickness was quite normal but never experienced the discharge so early before

5. Rraa

Rraa PetForums VIP

The sickness (vomiting?) is often seen in pregnant queens. Pink discharge could be a number of things and I believe you are worried about the worst case, ie indication of the potential loss of kittens. It is possible that she is losing one kitten but the vet is the best one to tell you more about it. I had this happen in one of Zoe's litters once but she went on to have five babies. Just watch her carefully and check with the vet.

6. bluechip

bluechip PetForums Senior

hi i would say get your girl to the vets my girl started with a slight pin k discharge at 6 weeks but two weeks later she exploded on my kitchen floor and it was the worse thing i have ever seen, there was blood and puss running out of her and she was very ill, it cost me £600 and all the kittens where dead but one and this one died four hours later.

maybe she need a course of antibiotics, i am sure if my vet had listened to me when i took her at 6 weeks and put her on antibiotics then i am sure i could have got her to her due date.

so be forth full with them as you could end up with a queen being spayed and loosing the whole litter like i did.

7. abbscats

thanks for the advice peeps I am very grateful, I have just spoken to the vets again on the phone following your advice and they said they will give me some antibiotics for her on Monday although they were reluctant, said I should just wait and watch to see if anything else changes, she has just been to the litter tray and she has got the runs now not sure if that is something significant?

8. bluechip

bluechip PetForums Senior

it does sound just like what happened with my girl, and i waited like the vets said and like i said she exploded, so i am glad you stuck it out with them.

9. abbscats

I followed your posts of your girl and how dreadful for you, her and poor babies. I just hope that antibiotics do the trick but will be back at the vets 1st thing monday mornin and thx for the advice.

10. bichonsrus

bichonsrus PetForums Senior

Hope everything goes well for your cat and her kittens. Will be thinking about her so do keep us updated wont you?

11. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

With her having the runs too I would be extra vigilant with her tonight. It may not be significant but better safe than sorry. I hope it all works out just fine for you and your girl. :)

12. abbscats

Thanks for everyones useful comments yesterday and just thought i would put an update on today. Suzie has had a good night, slept fine (not like me!!) her poos are back to normal and she is eating well and no more discharge :confused:. Back to the vets in the morning anyway as planned but fingers crossed we can see her through the next few weeks.

13. sjreilly72

sjreilly72 PetForums Member

Glad to hear she is back to her normal self. Good luck at the vets.

14. kitties

kitties PetForums Senior

oh they are such a worry arent they? is this your first litter? my cat is 6 weeks too, so are kittens are due same time, and ive no idea what to expect. look forward to your update

15. abbscats

Hi Kitties, no this is my 5th litter but it still doesn't get any easier!! I still worry for beginning to end it never stops xx

We have been to the vets this morning and he said that she may have lost 1 or we may have a mumified kitten at the end of this, its positive that she hasn't had any further discharge, he has given her 6 days of antibiotics - Nisamox - he thinks as long as we have no further discharge that should be enough to clear up any infection caused by the cervix opening.

Fingers crossed, she is running round like a launatic as the moment and full of energy and eating well so just hope that things go ok now but will be on tenderhooks now until the birth.

16. sjreilly72

sjreilly72 PetForums Member

Sooo glad to hear the good news. She certainly sounds like she has got her mojo back lol!!!!!

I hope everything goes well with the birth please keep us posted. Have you had anything like this before?? Did the vet advise you what to do when she goes into labour?? or just the normal stuff ??

Sorry for all the questions I am too bloody nosey for my own good lol!!

17. abbscats

No never had problems like this before - vet said we just need to hope everything develops as normal now, but I think it will be panic stations when she goes into labour here !!

18. kitties

kitties PetForums Senior

oh no! so much to worry about! So glad so far ours is running smoothly. Just hope we have no problems I feel such an amateur all of a sudden.

19. abbscats

Morning everyone, just thought I would post an update on Suzie. No further problems since last weekend, she has finished her antibiotics now and seems happy so thats good.

Her belly has grow lots during this week and she is looking very round, bless her xx so I would consider that as a good sign that the kittens are continuing to grow and develop - anyone have any comments?

20. ruthmcnally

ruthmcnally PetForums Member

Thats excellent news, i pleased to hear that all is well. Do you know exactly when she is due to have them. I guessed mine and i was wrong still bloody waiting. Keep us updated

xx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice