Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

pine pellet litter?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by clownfrog, Dec 15, 2020.

1. clownfrog

clownfrog PetForums Newbie

i have been doing research on litter recently when i came across pine litter. i was told that its a cheaper and more eco friendly and easier to clean especially with a sifting litter box.

but in some places i read it can cause raspatory problems and harm cats and that it smells bad and is pricy???

I'm not sure what to believe? if anyone has any advice wood pellet litter or just litter in general please could you tell me
    thank you

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@clownfrog

Wood pellet litter is super cheap. We use it at the Shelter [where I volunteer] because it is so cheap.

To be used properly it needs a sieve (sifting) tray. The best sieve trays are the ones made by Brit-pet.

https://brit-pet.com/products/sieve-litter-tray-system?variant=15961066995810

I have one sieve tray, and 5 ordinary trays for my 4 cats. Only one cat uses the sieve tray, the rest prefer the trays with granular clumping litter. But even the cat who likes to pee in the sieve tray prefers an ordinary litter tray with granular litter for pooing in, because he can bury his poo as he likes to do.

I don't think the wood pellet is more eco friendly, it has scented chemical deodoriser added so it's not suitable for composting. I never put it in my garden compost bins anyway.

Used without a sieve tray it's best to empty out the whole trayful of wood pellet litter every day and replace with fresh litter. Otherwise the wet bits contaminate the dry bits.

I haven't noticed the sieve tray smelling bad. I wash the bottom tray (where the urine collects) at least twice a day, otherwise there would be a pee smell. .

#2 chillminx, Dec 15, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2020
    ewelsh and clownfrog like this.
  3. teddylion

teddylion PetForums Member

I use the green bag of wood pellets from Pets At Home, about £7.50/bag or something. I don't have a sifting tray but change it daily. It absorbs moisture like nobody's business though so you have to be careful not to use too much or else even a shallow layer can swell up and overflow the tray!

That's a bit concerning if it causes respiratory problems, though. I bought it because the other stuff was too 'dusty' and I didn't like the idea of either them or me inhaling the dust when moving it around. It states on the bag it's low dust but you never know. The only real problem I've found with it is that it gets carried onto the floors by their paws, but I have yet to find one that doesn't escape the tray somewhat and it's easy enough to vacuum up.

clownfrog likes this.
  4. ewelsh

ewelsh PetForums VIP

Agreed avoid anything with a scent. I used recycled wood pellets from p@h it’s brilliant but I don’t sieve I just refresh as they go. I don’t fill a tray, I use two pints glasses full of litter which just about covers the bottom of a tray, then dump on my compost. Win win.

clownfrog likes this.
  5. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

We've used wood pellets for many years, in sieve trays. They don't harm cats or cause respiratory issues, one reason we use wood pellets is it's safe for all our kittens to be raised on.

Doesn't smell, even with the entire cats whose wee is stronger than neuters.

the pellets we use are designed to be composted.

clownfrog likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice