UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I was in town earlier I decided to go to the meat market to pick up some chicken wings for tea when some pigs heads caught my attention. Only £2 each and I thought the dogs might like them as a treat so I bought two and had them chopped in half so the 4 dogs could have half a head each.

Its's the first bit of raw food I have ever given them and they are loving it so much that I'm thinking a raw diet may be better than the csj kibble they are currently on.

Can someone point me in the right direction on where to start properly. Do they need veg etc as well as meat bone and offal?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
15,290 Posts
http://www.petforums.co.uk/dog-health-nutrition/111437-raw-feeding-everything-you-need-know.html

Might be a good place to start :) The whole veg thing is open for debate, some say they need it, some say they don't. I personally don't believe they do but feed it coz my dog likes it.

Might want to watch out for your dogs having the squits, first time mine had half a pigs head it upset his tummy a little and he's been raw fed for months. He's had them since and it's not bothered him and nothing raw ever bothered my previous dog but just a heads up.

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
I don`t supplement with vegetables. I`ve not seen a carnivore with an allotment yet. ;)
I used to give my GSD pigs heads occasionally. She would take 2 days to eat a half, leaving simply the teeth and the eyes. I had to stop when the kids objected to these lying about (kids, eh?).:rolleyes:
She was very windy afterwards :eek: but she loved them.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My border collie has already eaten most of his piece which is surprising as I thought he would be the one least likely to like it. He is so fussy with what he wants to eat but he loves this. The others are enjoying it but not tucking in so much as my collie. One of them has covered hers with a blanket and just sat next to it.

·
Registered
13,811 Posts
Would only ever feed raw after eight years of doing so - very satisfying watching them crunch their way through all manner of meats and carcasses. Watch to see if your dogs spit out the teeth - all mine do, lol. I pay 50p for a head but my butcher saves them for me and he sells me a huge bag of pig tails for £8, around 12kgs. I now get all my raw from him. Loads of free bones, chicken 'knees' and pork knuckle bones - yum! :)

My dogs also LOVE raw veg- peas, mange tout, carrots, nibblets (not the cob which is dangerous and can stick to the intestinal wall causing serious blockage ;)), swede, red/orange peppers (de seeded), courgettes - anything really, they chew on whole swedes for ages and adore a large whole carrot. It doesn't get digested in this form and isn't given for nutrition but if you want to get weight off it's a great way of bulking out a meal.

ETA - The eyes and brain are the most nutritious part of the head - in fact any meat, really good for them.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Would only ever feed raw after eight years of doing so - very satisfying watching them crunch their way through all manner of meats and carcasses. Watch to see if your dogs spit out the teeth - all mine do, lol. I pay 50p for a head but my butcher saves them for me and he sells me a huge bag of pig tails for £8, around 12kgs. I now get all my raw from him. Loads of free bones, chicken 'knees' and pork knuckle bones - yum! :)

My dogs also LOVE raw veg- peas, mange tout, carrots, nibblets (not the cob which is dangerous and can stick to the intestinal wall causing serious blockage ;)), swede, red/orange peppers (de seeded), courgettes - anything really, they chew on whole swedes for ages and adore a large whole carrot. It doesn't get digested in this form and isn't given for nutrition but if you want to get weight off it's a great way of bulking out a meal.

ETA - The eyes and brain are the most nutritious part of the head - in fact any meat, really good for them.
I'm hoping the butcher will give me a bit of a discount if I buy alot of meat from him. I have 4 dogs plus our family are meat eaters as well. I'm going to see what he says when his van is in the market place again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.