UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
29,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this correct- moving pigs from one location to another, even if it's just moving to another local field is covered by certain regulations & paperwork? I think it is but I could be wrong & I can never find what I'm looking for on DEFRA's site

I'm curious as there have been a few people wanting 'micro' pigs on a 'pets for sale' FB page recently & I wonder if they know the laws regarding movement of livestock

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
You're right as pigs can get and transmit foot and mouth defra should be notified.

A few months ago I was woken up by a pig in my garden. Baring in mind I live in the suburbs and there are no fields around it was a bit of a shock. Turned out a neighbour had done a dodgy deal on a night out and gotten this pig only for it to be left in the wrong garden. Also they swore it was a micro pig but it was definitely a young saddleback and they were terrified of the poor thing. He wasn't around for long, gawd knows what happened to him :mad:

·
Super Moderator
29,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I believe so, or is that just if there is foot & mouth?
I think it's been implemented regardless of whether there's an outbreak, because last time it was so severe- I remember that picture of the little lamb in all the mud:(. I wonder how they keep track of all the 'pet' livestock, as I'm sure not everyone knows the legislation for it

·
Super Moderator
29,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You're right as pigs can get and transmit foot and mouth defra should be notified.

A few months ago I was woken up by a pig in my garden. Baring in mind I live in the suburbs and there are no fields around it was a bit of a shock. Turned out a neighbour had done a dodgy deal on a night out and gotten this pig only for it to be left in the wrong garden. Also they swore it was a micro pig but it was definitely a young saddleback and they were terrified of the poor thing. He wasn't around for long, gawd knows what happened to him :mad:
That's just awful, & pretty worrying too:(

G

·
i have a pig keepers license can confirm if i needed to move one i'd need another to be covered , this includes walking them , taking them to vets etc
what you are given is a 'CPH' this is so DEFRA know incase of foot and mouth outbreak where your pig is located , to move one is an additional license.
can put a copy of my license up if this helps?

·
Super Moderator
29,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i have a pig keepers license can confirm if i needed to move one i'd need another to be covered , this includes walking them , taking them to vets etc
what you are given is a 'CPH' this is so DEFRA know incase of foot and mouth outbreak where your pig is located , to move one is an additional license.
can put a copy of my license up if this helps?
Thanks for the clarification, don't worry about putting up a copy, I have replied to their post on FB with DEFRA's PDF about the legislation involved for owners of companion pigs, hopefully they will read it before impulse buying a 'micro' pig;)

G

·
Thanks for the clarification, don't worry about putting up a copy, I have replied to their post on FB with DEFRA's PDF about the legislation involved for owners of companion pigs, hopefully they will read it before impulse buying a 'micro' pig;)
to be honest getting a pig keepers license is all too easy , i think you should have to pay for them to be honest , would put a lot of people off then when considering keeping them as pets:(

·
Super Moderator
29,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
to be honest getting a pig keepers license is all too easy , i think you should have to pay for them to be honest , would put a lot of people off then when considering keeping them as pets:(
Yeah, I agree, I've seen a lot of 'micro' pigs at local rescues the last few months, all of them have grown to the size of large dogs or bigger & they really are happier as outdoor pets with soil to root in rather than carpets:(

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.