Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Picky kitty

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by kittykat, Nov 7, 2007.

1. kittykat

kittykat PetForums VIP

Hi I have a 5 month old BSH who is very fussy when it comes to food! I have tried him on James Wellbeloved, Royal Canin, Proplan, Go-cat and also wet food such as Iams, Whiskas, Felix ... etc

He seems to eat Iams wet when he realises he wont get anything else but I really want him to be healthy and happy, he doesnt seem interested in Tuna either.

I have bought some chicken fillets and fish and he seems to like these but am not sure he is getting all his dietary requirements from these alone.

My other cat will eat anything so I am at a bit of a loss as to what to feed him!

Any advice would be much appreciated as I am running out of options!

2. You could try to contact Royal Canin - if they have a special dry food for this particular breed. I know they do Siamese, Persians and Maine Coon food. Check your baby's spine - with normal weight it should not have bones sticking out; but if you can feel them - take him to the Vets for a check up. If Vet wont find anything wrong, try to indulge him (I mean kitten) for a while with shrimps, meat or fresh fish just to stretch his stomack and to make eating bigger quontities a habbit. Also you could ask the person who bred him - what they used to feed your baby before, may be they know his favorite food? You might fing a nice frozen fish in many Pet shops.
    Elena
    www.terzovia.com
    « You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.»
    (Little Prince,A.de Saint Exupery)

3. kittykat

kittykat PetForums VIP

Thank you for replying, I have spoken to the breeder about this and she used to give him half a pouch of whiskas in the morning and evening and left james wellbeloved dry all through the day.

I will try him with a little more meat, he always seems to want whatever me and my husband are eating for dinner! (which I do indulge him!) - he is a a very chunky boy at 5 months (typical BSH) so will indulge him for a while yet.

He also loves cheese but I wanted to be sure this will be ok for him (just as a treat).

Im going to try him with some chicken for lunch ...

4. kittykat

kittykat PetForums VIP

Getting a little frustrated now! I have given him chicken, mince, prawns, sardines, pilchards .. you name it and yet he doesnt seem interested.

He "tastes" the food, might have a few nibbles but then leaves the rest and everytime I go into the kitchen he starts screaming at me!

I must add he does scream to get my attention if I am ignoring him! So the long meowwws are normal for him!

He wont even try any dry foods now, he stopped eating Whiskas (which he used to like, certain flavours I think) and I am at a total loss.

I have had a few cats before and have never had a problem with feeding, I am running out of ideas .....

5. Jenny Olley

Jenny Olley PetForums VIP

Have you had his mouth checked at the vets, is he teething, some animals suffer more than others during this time, eating can be painful, then even when its not anymore they think it will. If you can rule all this out, have you ever thought he maybe playing you up, I know we are all concerned to ensure our animals eat well, but some of the brighter ones will work you, so you offer all sorts. When I was a teenager we had a cat that would only eat one brand of food, it was made by woolworths, when the one in our home town was out of stock, we were dispatched on the train to another branch to ensure Tessa would eat. My animals have it hard, they eat what they are given or go without. the trouble with fussy eaters is they don't get a balanced diet, the worst case I ever came across was a dog who would only eat Yorkshire puds and roats potatoes, with a bit of gravy of course.

6. may

may PetForums VIP

I had a picky eater and I gave her rice pudding and sardines mixed:eek:
    Then I mixed JWB kitten biscuits with it and now she eats anything:D
    Just an idea! looks disgusting but it did the trick:rolleyes:

7. kittykat

kittykat PetForums VIP

Thanks for the advice, I think he is playing me a little though!

I am off to pets at home this morning so will take a look around although I cooked him a chicken breast last night and he actually ate it all :eek:

I think he is more of a picker with food though because my other cat will woof down anything and it took him all last night to eat the chicken.

thanks again ..

8. Eolabeo

Eolabeo Guest

if there is nothing wrong with him medical wise then i suggest sticking his food down, leaving it down.
    if he dont eat it then he goes without.

he will eat when his hungrey, the more u fuss the more he will play on it.

good luck :)

Islander likes this.
  9. kittykat

kittykat PetForums VIP

Thanks loe, I have been leaving it down for him and wont give him anything else until hes finished (which he is not too happy about!)

He is definately a little strange as he prefers to take food from the bowl and fetch it into the lounge to eat. When I moved his food bowl into the lounge he then took it into the hallway to eat! :confused:

Guess he has his little quirks like we do!

10. Dawny

Dawny PetForums Member

Okay for picky eaters, stop giving them everything under the sun! This is what makes them picky. "If i dont eat this i will get something nicer". Feed a nice dry complete food like James Wellbeloved and leave it down! A healthy cat will not starve itself. Be strong!

11. kittykat

kittykat PetForums VIP

Hello and thanks for the advice, I have been leaving James Wellbeloved down all day and giving him felix wet at night and in the morning and so far so good!

I think I was panicking trying to hard to please the little devil! I dont know why I was worried now, he's definately got a good apetite!

Still give him the odd bit of chicken and prawns though ;)

12. Lotsofsmoggies

Lotsofsmoggies PetForums Junior

You are making a rod for your own back. Pick a food and stick to it. Cats love to train their owners in making them worry unnecesssarily about them. Cats will rarely starve they just like to laugh at your efforts to make them eat!

13. Thats what most people like! To spoil someone is more pleasurable than being spoiled!

14. kittykat

kittykat PetForums VIP

Thats so true Elena! One of my cats got run over a few weeks ago and I know I have been spoiling him rotton but he has helped me with the loss.

Lotsofmoggies: I do stick with the food now, like I said felix twice a day and james wellbeloved dry during the day. I always treat my cats with the odd bit of chicken, prawn and tuna when I can, I think most people do.

15. may

may PetForums VIP

I agree!! I spoil my cats rotten:eek:
    and why not ? I love them:)

Betty6691 likes this.
  16. Beadell

Beadell PetForums Newbie

Hi
    Not sure how you're getting on with your picky kitty! My advise would be feed meals rather than ad lib that way you can be sure how much he is eating. Put a small amount of food down, leave it for 10 minutes, then pick it up and don't give anymore until the next mealtime, he'll eat when he's hungry. Don't be tempted to give lots of different foods, fresh foods are not balanced and he'll wait for something better! Be firm, it will pay off!!!

17. Islander

Islander PetForums Junior

Like many here I have always worked on the principle that a cat will eat when they are hungry and never given in to fussiness.
    Until Selkie arrived last November, one of three street rescues I gathered in from a lady who needed to find homes. She has the voice and eyes and temperament of an Oriental. Utterly lovely! She was skeletally thin and no thank you. No cat food. I will eat raw chicken, and milk looks great,,, She proved to be my first ever lactose intolerant cat in 40 years, but the crying and starving face every time i got the milk out for my coffee! I tried small pots No thank you and I AM STARVING!
    One day after a few weeks of tyranny I went into the kitchen to catch wading into the dish of cat food! Yep, she was having me on! So easy to get caught out when they have that voice and those great golden eyes. GOTCHA! I said,, she has filled out wondrously but still tries it on, bless her..

OP it is not good for them to be given in to. They will not get all they need. As others have said, leave the food down. Love her enough to stand up to her, please.

18. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@Islander - the thread is over 10 yrs old, and the OP has not been on the forum since 2013, so it's a bit doubtful they will see your post. ;)

Maybe consider starting a new thread on the topic? I think it'd be a good one for a contemporaneous discussion. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice