Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Picking up bullmastiff puppy this weekend

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by ReformedLurker84, Feb 2, 2021.

1. ReformedLurker84

ReformedLurker84 PetForums Newbie

Hi all,

I am picking up my 8 week old bullmastiff puppy this weekend and was wondering is there anything I need as an essential to collect him.

- I was looking at crates but wasnt sure on the size to get, can anyone help on this.
    - I have a bowls, bed, toys, puppy pen, training pads, lead (even though he cant leave the house till 12 weeks)
    - Have I missed anything very important

The breeder is supplying a bag of food that the puppy has been consuming to date, I am looking into transitioning to a raw food diet slowly.

Thanks,

RL

2. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

Congratulations on your new puppy.

He can go out if you carry him, it will help him get use to the sights and sounds of world around him.

Don't change his food till he has really settled, give he a few months.

Teething...... get a few old tea towels, cut them into long strips tie a knot in them, wet and freeze. He can chew on them and it will help cool his gums.

Sleeping...... either have him in the bedroom with you or sleep on the sofa until him settled, remember his only and baby and will be missing his Mom and Siblings. a soft cuddly is a must.

Finally..... Please can we have pictures of him when you get him home.

3. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

You can take him out in the garden and start to get him used to a lead. He is going to be a very big boy and not be comfortable in a crate for long. You probably need to get the biggest you can as he will double in size very quickly. They take up a lot of space though so the other option would be a smaller crate that he can use as a bed and put a pen round it. Or don't bother with a crate. Not sure how practical they are with such a large dog. I would keep him on the food the breeder gives you for a few days then gradually change over to what you want to feed. I hope you have a big freezer!

I used to look after a bull mastiff and walk and train it so I have a soft spot for them.

4. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I thought you could not collect puppies during lockdown by the way. How far do you have to go because if it is any distance take plenty of kitchen roll, wipes and towels in case he is sick or the other end with stress!

5. Silverpaw

Silverpaw PetForums Senior

Ahh,my family had a Bull Mastiff when I was born,many,many years ago.He was the biggest softee ever.I remember him being big and solid, although I was obviously small at the time,so it could have clouded my judgement!

You might want to have drinking water available if you're travelling far and also some wipes, just incase.

6. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

This. I had a 5 hour trip to bring Elliot home and he started throwing up after 30 seconds in the car!

Blitz likes this.
  7. CheddarS

CheddarS PetForums VIP

Think you are breaching lockdown rules unless the puppy is being couriered to you.

Please don’t use puppy pads, start house training as soon as home, take out at every opportunity, after sleep, play, food and ever 30mins!

Practice lead walking before you go out, in the house, in the garden etc.

If you want to move to raw (which I feed) then wait until pup is settled then just swop, no need for slow introduction. Worth joining a raw feeding group such as Facebook BARF UK that has loads of advice and suppliers.

Lots of photos, love big dogs

Sarah H likes this.
  8. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums VIP

I agree with ChedderS ,after a few days at home change him straight over to raw puppies usually have no problems with the switch to raw:)

CheddarS likes this.
  9. ReformedLurker84

ReformedLurker84 PetForums Newbie

Hi All, thanks for the info. I was under the impression it was ok to collect the puppy during LD but have since looked into this and am now getting a courier to collect the little man.

Thanks for all the pointers, I will start taking pics as soon as he arrives and will share them.

I am looking to slowly transition to raw food, hopefully that goes well. I have been advised teething can be a hard time from 3 months onwards and appreciate the tips using frozen strips of towels etc.

I have been watching videos where the best form of toilet training was advised as going out on the hour every hour/ after eating and after meals. This was the approach I wanted to take but also have puppy pads on hand for any accidents.

Thanks all again.

RL

Happy Paws2 likes this.
  10. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

11. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Toilet training happens when two things come together - the ABILITY to hold the toilet, along with the DESIRE to hold it in order to earn the reward for doing so.

Ideally you want him to not be in a position where he needs to toilet before you have him outdoors, so that every toilet is outside - as far as possible, there will be accidents! So set him up to succeed by taking him out even more than he needs; for example every 45 minutes to an hour and always after sleeping, eating, playing. The time between a puppy realising they need to toilet, and being unable to hold that toilet, is zero. So your aim is to have him outside before he can't help himself. When he toilets outdoors make a huge fuss (never mind the neighbours, act like outdoor toileting is the best thing you have ever seen) and reward him with a high value treat. Do that immediately, don't make him come to you for the treat so he is clear that it's for toileting and not for coming to you. The idea is that he eventually wants to earn the treat enough to hold the toilet until he is outside - once he is physically able to control his toileting obviously. As he is actually performing the toilet you can introduce words he can associate with it (like 'do weewee' and 'busy busy') that later when he is reliably trained you can use these to tell him when you want him to toilet.

If you take him out and he doesn't toilet after five minutes, bring him in but don't take your eyes off him. Any hint of a toilet inside, scoop him up and get him out fast. If he doesn't try to toilet indoors (great!) take him out a second time and repeat until you do get outside toilets. You need the outside toilet to happen SO that you can reward SO that he learns.

If he has an accident inside don't react at all. If you get annoyed he may learn to fear your reaction and avoid you if he needs to toilet (by going off and toileting out of sight) - the opposite of what you want. Dogs cant make the distinction between you being annoyed at him TOILETING, as opposed to toileting INDOORS. Take a rolled up newspaper and hit yourself over the head for not having taken him outside in time. Not when he is there though in case you scare him. Then clean the area with an enzymatic cleaner to remove any trace of smell that might attract him back to the spot.

Indoors if you see him circling or scratching the floor, that can sometimes precede toileting so get him out fast.

Overnight he is unlikely to be able to control his toilet as his little bladder and bowel are underdeveloped and not strong enough to hold all night, so set your alarm to take him out at least once if not twice during the night.

I really don't like puppy pads - they give mixed messages about whether it's ok to toilet indoors and confuse the puppy.

Sarah H likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice