Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Picking my cat up

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Ritniks, Mar 21, 2020.

1. Ritniks

Ritniks PetForums Newbie

Hi there,

I have been having trouble with my cat the last few months. Whenever I pick her up she yowls and bites me if she can. This does not happen with other people.

When I pick her up I usually scoop her back legs so I tried to check if her legs hurt or something. If I touch her back legs she hates it and swats my hand.

Is she hurt or she just doesn't like to be held this way?
    Thanks!

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hello @Ritniks and welcome :)

It definitely sounds as though your cat is in pain when you pick her up. As far as you know she hasn't been injured in an accident or a fall has she? Does she go outdoors?

How old is she ? It is possible she has arthritis in one or both of her back legs. It is quite common in adult cats of all ages. It is very painful for the cat and if she has it she will need pain relief from the vet.

I advise you to take her to the vet to be examined as soon as possible. Cats are very good at hiding pain and by the time they do show it they are usually in agony. It may not be arthritis but some other health issue.

#2 chillminx, Mar 22, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
  3. Ritniks

Ritniks PetForums Newbie

Thank you!

She is an indoor cat and she is 1.5 years old... Isn't she too young for arthritis problems? There was this time when I thought she was laying down a lot, but I have never seen her limping or not eating or not playing....

4. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

Regardless of her age I'd still take her for a check. I agree she is too young for arthritis, but if she was mine I'd want to know she was OK.

5. Ritniks

Ritniks PetForums Newbie

I will as soon as I can... Thanks!

6. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@Ritniks - yes I agree at 1.5 years she is probably a bit too young to have arthritis.

But yowling and biting you when you pick her up, does indicate pain. Even indoor cats can injure themselves in a fall, it is not unusual.

Please update us when you can :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice