Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Pick up poo!!!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by rottiemum, Apr 5, 2013.

1. rottiemum

rottiemum PetForums VIP

Grr...going to the vet tonight for runny poo (3 weeks - there's a thread over in Health & nutrition). He'll be testing for Giardia.
    I've just read this - and am even angrier than usual at the amount of people that do not pick up dog poo where I walk. I will have to find a different walk - because I did not know a dog could get this just by SNIFFING another dog's poo (bold is mine):

How do dogs get giardiasis?

giardia_2009A dog becomes infected with Giardia when it swallows the cyst stage of the parasite. In susceptible dogs, once the cyst passes into the dog's intestines; it goes through transformation to the trophozoite or feeding form and attaches to the intestinal wall to feed. If sufficient numbers are present, clinical signs of damage to the intestinal wall will develop. Trophozoites reproduce by dividing, and some transform into the cystic form. Eventually, the dog passes cysts in its stool.

"Giardiasis can be transmitted by eating or sniffing the cysts from contaminated ground, or by drinking contaminated water."

These cysts are immediately able to infect another animal. Giardiasis can be transmitted by eating or sniffing the cysts from contaminated ground, or by drinking contaminated water.

When Giardia cysts are found in the stool of a healthy adult dog without diarrhea, they are generally considered a transient, insignificant finding. However, in puppies and debilitated adult dogs, they may cause severe, watery diarrhea that may be fatal if left untreated.

The likelihood of developing disease increases when large numbers of cysts are present in the environment from fecal contamination. Giardiasis is a common occurrence in environments that are densely populated, such as kennels, pet stores, or animal shelters.

GRRR!:mad:

2. new westie owner

new westie owner PetForums VIP

I agree with you about amount of dog poo lying about : ( oh commented when we took Bobby to seaside yesterday as I was picking up Bobbys poo there was loads more lying : ( oh said I think you are only person picking up poo . Well me and another lady she picked hers up of very rocky beach and binned it : )

3. Dober

Dober PetForums VIP

Best of luck at the vets :(

4. Babbo

Babbo PetForums Junior

Whats worse than leaving poo...is putting it in a bag and then leaving the bag on the floor

5. Mark Walden

Mark Walden PetForums Member

We get that ALL the time at dog shows at the car parks. Honestly, it takes about 30 seconds to walk to your nearest bin! It's just laziness.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice