Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Pick up new puppy in 4 hours!!!!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by y2klovebug, Jun 5, 2010.

1. y2klovebug

y2klovebug PetForums Junior

Ahhhhh pick up my new golden retriever puppy in 4 hours, am really excited but also getting quite nervous now, what will he do when he gets home, will he be upset leaving his family, what if he doesnt like us etc. Im sure he will be absolutely fine and its me that will be stressed!!!!! Will post some pics later when he's home.

2. shutterspeed

shutterspeed PetForums Senior

I'm sorry, he will miss his family and you should bring him here, because I have a Golden :D:D:D

Of course it's a big change for a puppy to move home but he'll be fine. You could put a ticking clock in his bed/crate at night to comfort him.
    When I got my cocker in February, I spent the first night downstairs on the couch with him.

Looking forward to the pics, I love Goldens!!

3. alaun

alaun PetForums VIP

So exciting. Just watch out on this forum though, there are many people who will steal him if you're not careful.

4. rona

rona Guest

Another Golden :thumbup:
    Pics as soon as you get home please :D

5. spudsmummy

spudsmummy PetForums Senior

Aww how exciting for you, lots of photos are needed :)

6. Iwannadog

Iwannadog PetForums Junior

I know exactly how you feel, we picked our puppy up on Monday. The car journey home was about 50mins, and he was a bit unsure and quiet. When we got home we went straight out the garden and he had a good sniff around and went to toilet. He played with some toys and was generally curious to what was going on.

Your pup will be fine, just let do what he wants in his own time :)

7. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Oh brilliant - I reckon you must be just about picking up your puppy now!!

You will be fine. We are all waiting for pics and will be here to listen to all your wonderful news :thumbup:

8. chrissie-h

chrissie-h PetForums Junior

Good luck! Looking forward to pictures :)

9. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

Well??? how did it go? where are the pics? lol
    Hope you and yours are having a fab time with your new goldie,look forward to hearing all about him :)

10. y2klovebug

Well i hope ive managed to upload some pics of Jake properly! He has been very good - didnt have any accidents in the car on the way home, seems happy playing in the garden and in his room (our conservatory). He did cry for about half an hour the first time we left him but since then he has only cried a couple of times when we have left him then settled himself down so thats quite promising. We have had a couple of accidents in his room but thats our fault for not reading his signs and acting in time not his fault. Couple of questions, he doesn't seem to like his crate, my partner got in there and enticed him in with a treat and i slowly shut the door for a few mins then opened it again but he wont go in voluntarily he prefers to sleep on the concreate is this normal? Also he came from a home with no grass or flowes, as a result he is ripping up and eating my mud, grass and tulips - are any of these dangerous? Im trying to distract him when i see him doing it but didn't know wether to get some bitter apple and spray it discretely to try and stop him or if its just a phase - any ideas? sorry for the essay! V nervous with new pup!

Attached Files:

11. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

Oh just gorgeous,i think Isla may like to have his babies lol!!
    They like to chew,so its best to just remove anything you dont want chewed.if he gets soemthing he shouldnt take it away and replace it with something he can chew.
    If he hasnt been crate trained before you got him,he will cry.Try short times in the crate and try and ignore his cries.He will soon learn that you come back.make sure the crate isnt too big,it needs to feels safe and only big enough for pup to sleep in ,or he may toilet in there.Lots of toilet trips outside with plenty of praise when he toilets(try and ignore any accidents indoors,just clean thoroughly with a bio washing powder/liquid)
    Oh...enjoy! iv had Isla a week now and she is settling really well.I wish you many years of happiness with Jake :)

12. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

He's lovely and such a cutie.

He may cry a little tonight but he'll soon settle down.

13. y2klovebug

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ok hopefully this has added some more pics!! Thanks for all your suggestions and for being so friendly!! I will definately be comming back on this forum.

14. dobermummy

dobermummy Banned

he is so cute, fantastic pictures

15. rona

rona Guest

16. Beebuks

Beebuks PetForums Member

He is really cute! I am keenly reading all advise as I am getting my new puppy in 22 days and counting. Hope all going ok. :)

17. Joolz1975

Joolz1975 PetForums Member

Oh my god that's the cutest puppy I've ever seen (till I get mine lol) look at his little face!!!

18. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

Aww:001_wub::001_wub: congrats on your new family member

19. momentofmadness

momentofmadness PetForums VIP

What another cutie.. Thats to i have seen on here today.. x

20. y2klovebug

Aww i bet you can't wait, what sort of puppy are you getting?

Well we had our first night at home.......puppy is well rested and happy we are absolutely shattered!!! He cried when we first put him down but after about 20mins got bored and calmed himself, then didnt hear anything till 1.45am when he started crying (but there was a small thunderstorm and the rain is quite loud on the roof where he is so im not supprised that freaked him out a bit) so i went down and sat with him without giving him fuss just so he knew it was ok and he atually went and curled up in his crate after a while and i left the room. He cried twice more at 2.30 and 4.30 but think these were just attention seeking as he soon calmed himself and stopped after about 10mins. Does this sound pretty good for a first night? Is there something in particular anyone reconmends for stuffing a puppy kong with? His new game is when i bring him in and put him in his crate and go to leave e.g. for work he races me to the door and speeds through when i open it, then resulting in a 20min battle to get him to stay in his room so i an leave!! Whilst its a lovely fun game for him it would be nice to be able to get out to go to work so i thought if i put him in his crate with a stuffed kong that would amuse him and let me slip out and also take his mind off me leaving? I know you can get those biscuits to put in them but are they any good or is there anything else better i could use as i dont want to upset his tummy.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice