Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Pick me up expert tip-weaning pups

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by rebenda, Jul 26, 2009.

1. rebenda

rebenda PetForums VIP

Hey everyone

ok so i probly should have posted this on breeding section but thought i would post it in general as more people will see. well i was reading the pick me up magazine and saw this...

Expert tip from pick me up vet Barton Stephen

You can wean puppies onto solid food when they're two weeks old. Mix their mothers' milk with a can of meat in a dish, and put the babies in it theyll soon be lapping the milky mix.

now does anyone agree with me that this can be completely confusing to someone whos dog has been caught by another and they are now expecting pups and dont really have much knowledge, they will now be thinking they can wean them at 2 weeks and sell them alot earlier than 8!

yes you can wean them at that age but not if its necc the puppy needs its mothers antibodies and vitamins at that age why print that tip and not put more advice! i think its ridiculas and have just emailed them a complaint! does anyone else agree with me or am i being stupid?

its actually quite annoyed me as ive come across people who havent a clue what theyr doing and the poor pups may suffer because of this.

Becky

2. Don't know about pups as I have never tried it!!! but we had a kitten a 3 weeks of age which my partner saved when he was spraying at a farm 15 years ago! We fed that kitten in that waY! first off out little finger!! then from a saucer!

He is 15 years old now! has had no health issues (fingers crossed) other then he suffered with bad teeth and has had three of his four fangs removed. (we put this down to missing vital nutriants from his mothers milk as he did lose these at a young age). The only other think this cat CANNOT meow!

He's a fabulous cat! an very friendly! but alas all the pictures I have of him are on my other computer.
    regards
    DT

3. cassie01

cassie01 PetForums VIP

as DT says this could be useful if for some reason you need to be able to wean a pu at this age, mother dies, its rejected, etc. but yes i do think there may be some breeders out there that would use this info to wean puppies younger to sell them quicker. those people are discusting and need locking up. but i supose if they were so desperate to wean pups so young they could probably find this info elsewhere.

4. CheekoAndCo

CheekoAndCo PetForums VIP

The tip in it a week or 2 ago was 'To stop your guinea pig getting scruvy (vit C deficiency) feed them a balanced diet of hay, clean water and pellet food. Supplement this with fruit daily' Surely that's common sense :eek: If you have a guinea pig surely you should have read into it needing all that. And there not supposed to get just fruit daily. It's supposed to be veg aswell. The weaning pups one could be useful but sometimes I wonder about the 'tips' in magazines.

5. rebenda

rebenda PetForums VIP

Yea i know that it may be useful to wean them at that age like u said if the mother was ill or died but i just worry some people will have a mother that is fine and then well a vet said it so it must be okay to wean them early, just worries me becuase of the kind of people that can be out ther but yea i spose theyd find that info anywere if they wanted to do it.

about the guinea pig one yea ud think or hope people would feed their guinea pigs properly anyway without needing to take the 'tip'.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice