Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Pheasant killed?

Discussion in 'Wildlife Chat' started by suewhite, May 10, 2010.

1. suewhite

suewhite PetForums VIP

just been watching out the window at a pheasant walking across the field been watching him for ages and all of a sudden a huge bird swooped down and killed him must have been a hawk of some kind it was massive:eek:

2. Waterlily

Waterlily Amused

aw thats sad :( poor thing.

3. serpentseye

serpentseye PetForums Member

poor thing, so sad. if ur near buckingham palace might ave been that murderous queen of yours (if you're british). Every country has some murderous blood sport!!!

sorry. stuff like that makes me so angry! animals have souls too!

#3 serpentseye, May 10, 2010
    Last edited: May 10, 2010
  4. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Might have been a buzzard. Truly amazing to see them in action.

5. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

Wow that was random:confused:

6. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

I doubt it was a Buzzard as they are carrion birds (eat animals already dead), but they do sometimes hunt live animals.

Where abouts do you live? It could have been an Eagle, if so that was a very lucky thing to witness! Though it might not feel like it I know.

7. RockRomantic

RockRomantic Gobsh!te

just a bit!

8. Mum2Alfie

Mum2Alfie PetForums VIP

Mother nature at its best! :D Try telling them they have to go veggie for the sake of animals suffering! :D

9. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

I thought they predated heavily on rabbits? The introduction of myxi and their food source was one of the reasons they declined at one point.

There are two breeding pairs in my area (that i know of) and they are active hunters.

Eagles never crossed my mind. We dont have those near me :(

10. rona

rona Guest

I've seen Buzzards take pigeons and pheasant.
    If they have young to feed, they may have a go at catching an adult pheasant

11. AlexArt

AlexArt PetForums Senior

Most likely a big female buzzard, they can and do hunt, but will mostly eat carrion/worms/beetles/anything!! Found an injured male buzzard 3 weeks ago - had him in a dog crate in the kitchen for 2 weeks munching on chicks - nice! Took him to Muncaster Castle last weekend for them to release as they shoot them here:(, really beautiful birds, but a big female will deff be able to take an adult pheasant - you're lucky to have seen a wild one hunting like that - it's rare!!:eek:

12. hawksport

hawksport Banned

I'm sure we played this game before:)
    Starting with the native species
    the common buzzard, this would be unlikely unless the pheasant was sick
    [​IMG][/IMG]

The peregrine, fast enough but very risky taking it on the ground
    YouTube - Falco Peregrinus

[​IMG][/IMG]

The goshawk, the one most likely to take a pheasant on the ground but very rare
    [​IMG][/IMG]

My money would be on a lost falconry bird either a gyr or a saker, a hybrid of one of the two or a hybrid of both.

1 person likes this.
  13. momentofmadness

momentofmadness PetForums VIP

hawksport are I think I mean eagle owls big or do I have the wrong name??

14. hawksport

hawksport Banned

There are different species of eagle owl going upto the European eagle owl, a female of these could take a fox.

#14 hawksport, May 11, 2010
    Last edited: May 11, 2010
  15. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

Don't know where you live Aurelia, but there are two species of Buzzard in Europe, the Common Buzzard and the Honey Buzzard. Both may be capable of taking a pheasant, although the Honey Buzzard is specially adapted to feed on wild bees, hence the name. Common Buzzards, the largest and most numerous, are not normally carrion eaters, and are expert hunters though I believe they have sometimes been observed picking at roadkill.

However I know that in the USA, Vultures are often nicknamed "buzzards" and yes they are carrion eaters. I've been fortunate to see wild vultures in the USA including the Turkey Vulture and black Vulture.

SueWhite - I am envious you saw such an amazing sight!

#15 MerlinsMum, May 11, 2010
    Last edited: May 11, 2010
  16. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

To Hawksport -

I want to go and see these this year - missed them last year!
    Chichester Peregrines

I believe I may have seen a pair of peregrines before several years ago, in an area where a pair is known to be, but at the time I wasn't sure what they were, I thought 'hobby' at the time but now know I was wrong! They flew very closely over my head while I was supping ale in a pub garden!

17. hawksport

hawksport Banned

Don't forget your camera. I see them most days here, mine let me know when they come over the house. One day last year there were eleven buzzards over the house and mine were getting rather noisy. Luckily my neighbours like to have three day parties on bank hollidays so I don't complain about their noise and they don't complain about the birds.

18. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

Was that re buzzards or peregrines? Either, my camera isn't good enough but at least when you go to see the Chichester Cathedral Peregrines you are treated to a big-screen video linked to the webcam.

Buzzards aplenty here in Hampshire and West Sussex.... Eleven is a good number!!

Maybe you could answer something for me - coming back from my mum's after Easter, on the train near Westbury Wiltshire, passed a field next to the line (It was an Intercity125 train so the window was open & I was right by it)... seemed to be about 8-10, 12 maybe, birds dotted around the small field, just standing. Large, buzzard coloured and when one took off I was unmistakably a buzzard, what else could it have been? Do they have conventions as some other birds do? What the heck else could they have been....??? :confused1:

19. hawksport

hawksport Banned

It's buzzards and peregrines that come over the house.
    As for the birds in the field, I have only seen them in numbers in the air apart from when young have fledged but not yet left the parents. I suppose they could of been buzzards if they had found a good food source like a ploughed field or something.

20. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

They were standing around like statues in a grassy pasture. I thought they were hen pheasants at first, but they were more upright, different shape and had no tails, were slightly larger with whitish parts on the front, and one took off looking like a classic buzzard silhouette with the white underwings. One of life's mysteries I guess.... if only I'd had the camera handy. We were slowing down to come into Westbury station so they didn't pass in quite such a flash as they might have done elsewhere on the route. And the IC125s are the ONLY trains left in the country where you can open the windows and stand looking out for a great and full view.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice