Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Phantom pregnancy

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by Engel98, Nov 17, 2018.

1. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums Member

I don't know where to post this but I'm looking for advice.

My 17 month old Shih tzu is having a phantom pregnancy. I understand that these can last 3+ weeks but are there any tips/tricks to help it end it quickly (well so it doesn't go on in an endless loop of phantoms) and as smoothly as possible? (Avoiding the likes of mastitis and other infections).

I only ask as I'm planning on spaying her. It seems that everything is against me as I planned on spaying her...then she went into season and now she's having a phantom so she can't be spayed yet...any advice would be most appreciated.

2. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Your Vet can prescribe Galastop for her to try and terminate her phantom.

For you, the best you can do for her is not allow her to dig or nest in any bedding, remove it, don't allow her to become maternal over any soft toys, again, take them away and don't allow her to drink excessively or eat more than her normal ration.

Also, up her exercise regime, walk or play with her more.

A bitch who has had one phantom will tend to repeat the process, so I would book her in for spaying three months from the date of her last season.

3. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums Member

Agreed, I was going to have her spayed but the vet said wait until phantom has finished. Something about the symptoms of the phantom will always be there as there would be no ovaries to control the hormones. Are medications like galastop necessary for trying to stop a phantom or is it reasonable to see if it will go by itself?

4. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

Over the years we have had three of our dogs have phantom pregnancies and each time we have simply let it run it's course. I remember them happening on the farm when i was a child and to be honest we never interfered. The most recent to have a phantom was one of our Cavaliers about 4 years ago - she nested, became cuddly, produced a little milk and became upset if she was separated from her imaginary puppies. We allowed her to nest, checked for mastitis, didn't alter feeding and actually couldn't even reduce her water intake as we have water everywhere for the rest of pack. We find it's over very quickly if you let it run it's course and they settle well too. And none have ever had a repeat phantom.

We always work closely with our vets and they were happy with this. So I think the choice is yours depending on your individual dog.

J

Engel98 likes this.
  5. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

At one time bitches were always given treatment but of course it is hormone tablets so there are associated risks. most bitches that have one will repeat after every season but if you are spaying that is fine. I think the treatment will stop it quicker and allow you to get her spayed but it will stop on its own. I would definitely treat a bitch that was producing enough milk to get mastitis or was nesting excessively. Bare in mind that every bitch goes through the hormonal changes so in fact every bitch has a false pregnancy after a season, just some bitches show more symptoms than others. I had one bitch who had such short and clean seasons sometimes the only way I knew she had had one was when she produced a bit of milk.

6. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums Member

She isn't producing milk or anything she has got a slight preg belly with swollen nipples and they do hang slightly as if the glands are preparing for milk. There is slight thinning of the hair around the nipples, dark areola and vulva. Vet didn't say about any treatment BUT has said to see her again beginning of December to see how things are

7. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Your bitch does need to be recovered from her phantom pregnancy before she can be spayed.

I only ever had one bitch affected and I did allow it to run it's course.

Are you certain she could not be pregnant?

8. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums Member

Positive she's been scanned twice. Vet did palpate and said there's nothing

9. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums Member

UPDATE

Thank you for the tips and advice it's muchly appreciated. Went to the vets a few days ago for a check up and all signs of phantom pregnancy have gone! She will be spayed in January along with my other dogs castration.

Once again, thank you

Jamesgoeswalkies and Rafa like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice