Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Phantom Pregnancy

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by rottweiler1, Nov 13, 2007.

1. rottweiler1

rottweiler1 PetForums Newbie

My Rottie is having a Phantom Pregnancy has anyone else out there dealt with is before she has been to the vets and was given a injecton. Is there anything else I can make her feel better?

I am going to get her spade in Deecember.

2. colliemerles

colliemerles PetForums VIP

oh sorry to hear that, a friends dog had a phanthom pregnancey, she evan got fat and produced milk, i think she had to go to the vets,

3. canisred

canisred PetForums Newbie

Hi, my staffy had 2 of them, the first wasn't that bad but the second was horrible:mad:.
    i had to take all her toy off her because she thought they were pups,
    i felt so sorry for her, it only lasted a few days then she was back to her normal self:eek:
    i got her done a few weeks later and she was fine
    hope she's feeling better soon;)
    Marguerite

4. basi

basi PetForums Senior

My bitch sometimes has a mild one after her season. I just make sure that there is no toys around that she can try and mother and also increase her exercise to take her mind of it.

5. jan-c

jan-c Guest

Raspberry leaf tablets from the health shop are good for phantoms.

6. terriermaid

terriermaid PetForums Senior

my little terrors always have phamtoms but luckly they dont get to the toys stage ive given them galastop in the past to dry up there milk but a dose of epsom salts can be as good :p

7. Esined

Esined PetForums VIP

I have heared that is good for phantoms

8. Puppy Love

Puppy Love PetForums Senior

We have also had quite a time of our bitch having a phantom - its gone on so long and we have been to the vets twice - she put weight on, we used Epsom salts, increased her excercise, done everything we where told to do but shes moody and just has not got back to her usual self, then last night I noticed her little nipples where more puffy than normal and low and behold she now has milk in them - so Ive just made an appointment again with the vets this afternoon.

Thanks for the info on the Raspberry leaf tablets - I will be prepared for her next season. Does she have while shes in season on just after?? How many tablets do I give her??

Puppy Love

9. terriermaid

terriermaid PetForums Senior

have a look on dorwest ,it might tell you on there

10. Puppy Love

Thanks terriermaid - i will have a look now.

Puppy Love

11. kittykat

kittykat PetForums VIP

Hi, Cola had a phantom pregnancy that lasted 5 weeks! She was producing milk and I had to take her toys away as she was treating them like puppies, gave her more exercise but it still took so long. She just finished 2 weeks ago but the vet has told me I have to wait another 4 weeks before I can get her spayed as it takes a while for their hormones to settle down.

12. Puppy Love

The vet has now strongly recommended Galastop as her phantom has gone on so long. He feels mentally she will benefit from getting back to normal asap. I spoke to him about the Raspberry leaf tablets and he said yes to try them - I did point out I am not happy with all these chemicals.

Lets hope she gets back to her usual mad self soon

Puppy Love

13. squashynose

squashynose PetForums Member

I had a ridgeback who had a phantom... Can't remember how long it lasted, but she had her hippo which was her baby, and she actually bit someone who came to close to it. Scary things, hormones.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice