UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
Hi, I'm just wondering if a bitch can still experience a phantom after having had a litter?
Do you mean previously having a litter in the past, or recently just had a litter.
If you mean she has had a litter in the past, then yes they can. The most common time for phantom pregnancy is usually Di-estrus. So if she has fairly recently had a season then yes its possible. Di- Estrus as you probably know follows pro-estrus and estrus the fertile period, those last approx. 18/20 days ish, and then they go into Di-estrus that lasts around 60/90 days, during di estrus, although external changes like swelling of the vulva and discharge had stopped, the reproductive tract is still under the influence of high hormone levels until the end of this part of the season, and because of the heightened hormone levels then this is the time usually phantom pregnancy and also uterine infections are most likely to occur.

If the time frame fits and she has recently had a season and you are sure no male could have possibly got to her, then it could well be a phantom.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Hi, I'm just wondering if a bitch can still experience a phantom after having had a litter?
As above - I assume you are talking about after a subsequent season to having the litter? if yes, then yes she can have a phantom - to what degree, you will need to keep an eye on her in case she needs veterinary intervention (most phantoms don't) - don't encourage her mik and try to keep life as normal as possible.

Also - are you 100% confident no entire male has been with her? if there is any doubt whatsoever, then get her checked over by the vet

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for both your responses. I did mean the next season after a litter. I know that no male went near her when she was in season as we keep her and our boy completely separate when she is in season and for a long time after just to be completely sure.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Thanks for both your responses. I did mean the next season after a litter. I know that no male went near her when she was in season as we keep her and our boy completely separate when she is in season and for a long time after just to be completely sure.
sorry if this comes out wrong, but you're Sure he couldn't have gotten to her; how were they separated?
my neutered boy tied with one of my girls through two babygrows, pants and a crate wall.
i've heard of dogs opening doors, girls allowing mating through a gate -even known of a chihuahua jumping a 5ft wall to get to a bitch (thats how i got kitty!) the owner thought she was having pedigree yorkies... until a little white one popped out!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Don't worry. Although I don't post I read the posts on this site at least once a day. I'm 100% sure. They're separated by brick walls. They don't go outside together. They aren't even in the same room. Ones in the utility room and the other in the lounge. They don't even see eachother.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.