Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Phantom pregnancy

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by SpringerHusky, May 20, 2010.

1. SpringerHusky

SpringerHusky PetForums VIP

I'm wondering if Myaa has one or not or could be having one.

Lately since about 2 days back she cries when ever rusty squeaks his toys, but crying like a worry cry when her pups would wander too far.

2 days before she gave birth she adopted her yellow lofa dog as her baby, cried and panicked if you moved it and would carry it around crying sometimes. Now she's doing the same thing only with her giant purple loofa dog, I just threw it to the other side of the room and she ran after it crying and the proceed to pick it up and lay in her bed with it.

Rusty has started sniffing at her much more (like if she walks by him or he happens to walk by her but is not making a real effort into it)

She also has been dissapearing sometimes in the day to my room into the crate. At night she sleeps in it which is odd because usually she hates it. rusty tried to get in with her and she pretty much shouted at him for it.

She's also being moody again and growlled at a friends dog bumping into her (usually she just ignores them as being a goldie he just runs into everyone and everything)

The thing is she's got no distarge, no weight gain and no teets descended.

Any idea if she's just having an odd moment or a phantom pregnancy. I know it's not a real pregnancy as she finished her season along time ago (2-3 months) and she was kept away from all male dogs including Rusty.

If she is can I just leave her to get over in naturally or do you have to go to the vets to sort it out.

2. lucysnewmum

lucysnewmum PetForums Senior

hi
    i have a friend who's Doberman has fantoms....and she does more or less what you are describing. these periods of odd behaviour usually pass all by themselves. watch out for milk production, sore teats or discharge as these may need veterinary attention. other than that...as long as ther dog isnt distressed in any way...let her carry on pretending she has a baby and mind how you go with the other dog getting too close to her. oh. and try not to pander to her. carry on as normal if you can. this will help it pass quicker.

3. PawsandPurrs-Bridgnorth

PawsandPurrs-Bridgnorth PetForums Member

Lucy had a phantom pregnancy before she was spayed. She was doing very much what you are describing. Lots and Lots of digging also, in the garden, her bed, the sofa, cushions, my bed!! She had quite alot of discharge so we took her to the vets, as we were getting her done anyway we were told to keep a close eye and let it pass. She has been fine ever since.

Agree with Lucysnewmum, treat her the same as normal it will pass quicker, but do watch for discharge, sore nipples.

4. SpringerHusky

Thanks guys :thumbup:

5. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

Bless her... Mavis had one after each of the two seasons that she had...we then got her spade as it was quite stressfull for her..she would try to dig ubder the house looking for her pups:(:(...the second time we got some tablets off the vets to stop it ..but it did lower her blood pressure so she kept fainting...so i would defo try removing toys and extra walks to occupy first etc

Juliex

6. SpringerHusky

Poor girlie. :(

Thanks, I've hid away the large loofa dog and Rusty's wubba which are the only squeaky toys. Hopefully she'll just finish this soon, poor thing.

7. SpringerHusky

on average how long do they last she's already driving me insane :mad: :rolleyes:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice