Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Phantom Pregnancy Anxiety Getting out of Control

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by eruss1508, Aug 20, 2018.

1. eruss1508

eruss1508 PetForums Newbie

I have an almost 3 year old jack russell and for about a week now shes had the symptoms of a phantom pregnancy. However, her symptoms are driving me mad. She walks around the house at all hours with the stuffed toys she thinks are puppies in her mouth crying, we cant leave her alone for even 5 minutes or she barks the house down and she keeps trying to attck the cat if he comes in to the same room as her and her 'puppies'. Our vet just sold us some very expensive pet calming spray (which so far has done nothing) and sent us on our way. Shes only had emotional changes shes not started lactating or anything like that luckily enough but its getting unbelievably hard to deal with. How long is this meant to last? Does anyone have any tips on how to calm her down? Im seriously at my wits end.

2. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

You must take all of her toys away from her. Allowing her to carry them around is making the situation worse.

Increase her exercise, do not allow her to nest/dig in her bedding and don't allow her to drink or eat more than she normally would.

A Vet can prescribe Galastop, which will control the hormones, but she can come through this without, eventually.

I would have her spayed 3 months after her season.

Linda Weasel likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice