Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

PF runners thread?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by ouesi, Mar 20, 2018.

1. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

IMG_3085.JPG

6.2 miles today lots of walking because it is so wet under foot. Very proud of my boy managed to ewalk past another dog without being a Wally.

ouesi likes this.
  2. ouesi

ouesi Guest

Well, I got roped in to a long run today, not even sure how long it's going to be :eek:
    A friend is getting ready for a charity hike, she's very overweight and very out of shape and I told her I would support her however she needs supporting. Well today that means we're meeting at a 9+ mile loop trail, I'm going to run it until I catch back up to her and then hike the rest. I can run this trail in a little under 2 hours, she says it will take her 5 to walk it. I'm thinking I'm going to be doing 13 or more miles running, and of course 18 total. Here's hoping the Altras hold up and that I packed enough water!

Boxer123 likes this.
  3. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

Good luck sounds like a tough training session !

4. ouesi

ouesi Guest

Ended up being not bad at all.
    I ran the 9 mile loop, felt really good, then doubled back to meet my buddy, but she was only about 2 miles away, and she decided to cut the loop short (there is a cut-through trail) so was only another few miles to finish. I think I ended up doing 13 or 14 total, 10.5 running, the rest walking with my friend. Strangely the walking part was almost harder because she walks slower than is comfortable for me (does that even make sense?) and I could feel myself tightening up. Was good though, lots of good conversation, and felt awesome to be there to help motivate her - this is the longest she has ever hiked :)

5. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

Well done ! Yes makes sense I struggle with walking sometimes. Do you use anything to track your runs I use strava gives a good breakdown.

6. ouesi

ouesi Guest

Yes, I use mapmyrun, but I paused it when I caught up to my buddy and guestimated the walking part :)
    I was actually pretty proud of my splits on this one, the first part of the trail is fairly gnarly with ups and downs and some technical stuff and I managed a pretty good clip (for me) 11:50 per mile :D

Boxer123 likes this.
  7. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

Done my run for today - 5.5miles & OMG it was so hard to start with. Despite it being a beautiful day the wind was awful, really strong. So yet again I set off with a really negative mindset, "I can't do this", "it's too windy", "I can't breathe", etc ....... :rolleyes:

Anyway I got on with it but it felt like I was running on the spot at some points, it also didn't hep that the barn I run past that stores sugar beet was being cleaned out so a massive pile of fermenting sugar beet was piled up out in the open so the smell carried for miles, & it really STANK!!! :Hungover:Vomit It smelt like someone had eaten loads of sweets then vomited!

Seeing as I was having trouble breathing anyway due to the wind this really didn't help! I really struggled initially as it felt like my nostrils & back of my throat were raw due to trying to breathe. What do you proper runners do when it's like this? Do you have some technique? Or are you just not a Moaning Minny like me?! :D

But I persevered, I was supposed to run on Wednesday but ad so much to do with work & the dogs that I couldn't fit one in, then ended up feeling guilty about it so I knew I had to get out & get moving today. Whilst the start was in no way enjoyable I did see an otter near the river bank which has made my day. I haven't seen one in the wild for years so his was such a lovely moment & made all so worthwhile :)

The return run was so much easier as I had the wind behind me ... such a massive difference then, I got my breathing right again & got a much better rhythm going & I actually quite enjoyed that bit.

#107 Cleo38, Apr 6, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
    ouesi likes this.
  8. ouesi

ouesi Guest

LOL @Cleo38 you just embrace the suck :D At least that's what I do. Walk break if you need to, slow down, play mind games with yourself, (just make it to the next tree, make it one more mile) but basically just keep putting one foot in front of the other, and eventually, it gets better. It ALWAYS gets better :)

Cleo38 and Boxer123 like this.
  9. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

I've never thought to much about breathing but advice I have had via a yoga instructor is breathe from the belly not chest. I don't know if this works or not lol. I will struggle when the dreaded hay fever sets in.

Cleo38 and ouesi like this.
  10. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

Yes, that's what I was doing today ... just one more telegraph pole, then the next then one more I can have my walk break .... then "Oh, an otter!" which made it much easier to get going again as my mood was lifted!

The smell today was awful though. I work on sewage sites at times for my job & am quite used to not-very-nice smells & they don't usually bother me but rotting sugar beet really is one of the worst, sewage is nothing compared to this!!! :Wideyed:Hungover

Yes, makes sense & ties in with what @ouesi recommended in an earlier post. Will have to ind some time & book a session with my friend who is a qualified yoga teacher so i can get some more advice regarding breathing as well as some stretching exercises I should be doing more of.

ouesi likes this.
  11. ouesi

ouesi Guest

Well, my goal for April was 30 miles or more a week, and I'm currently at 33 yay :)
    It took a lot to get my lazy ass out there today, but I did it, knocked out 5 good miles, and was not nearly as terrible as I was anticipating.
    I was all excited with my time when I got back, but then I looked at my splits and one was a 2.38 minute mile so obviously MMR was glitching LOL. In any case, it felt good and now I'm gorging on pineapple :D

Cleo38, Boxer123 and kittih like this.
  12. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

I'm tapering at the moment but seem to be picking up little injuries from walking such as giant blisters! Might do a little run / walk tomorrow forecast more rain :Arghh. Bit worried about lily she got up early and seemed to have a stiff back leg but now it is fine. I wonder if she slept funny. Swimming for me next week I think.

Cleo38 and ouesi like this.
  13. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

I did a 7 mile run today - the longest I have ever done! No wind today which made it so much easier, & also meant that the air wasn't filled with the smell of putrifying sugar beet.

I did a different route today, drove out in to the Fens & ran along the droves & a farm track. No on around again which was good, so I just relaxed & tried to concentrate on my running letting all my thoughts stop for a bit.

One road I ran was just so long & straight I never thought it would end (sounds dramatic now as it was only a couple of miles but it felt like forever). I got a good pace going, my breathing was good, & I quite enjoyed it .... despite my inner voice telling me at the start that I'd never make it!

My legs felt like lead at the end & I was so hot & sweaty but I did it, I can't believe it. I did have a walk break halfway for 5 mins but apart from that I ran it all

kittih, Boxer123 and ouesi like this.
  14. ouesi

ouesi Guest

Awesome! Doesn't it feel good when that happens? :)

Cleo38 likes this.
  15. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

Well done glad your enjoying it !

Cleo38 likes this.
  16. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

Definitely! When I think that at the start of the year I couldn't even run to the end of my road & yet today I have ran 7 miles. I am amazed that I ave done this & that my fitness has increased so much & quite quickly since starting running.

I wore a dress to work the other day that I hadn't worn or about a year as it was too tight, it's now quite loose on me so I had to wear a cardigan to cover up how baggy it looked in places

ouesi likes this.
  17. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

I am already planning a 10 mile route that I want to build up to eventually. I don't really have time to do longer distances alot but if I can just do a 10 mile run at some point in the next couple of months then it will be another achievement

ouesi likes this.
  18. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

10 miles is a good distance sounds like you are getting the bug.

19. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

IMG_3148.JPG

Little 2.5 miles potter for us today Brighton Sunday so 2 miles Wednesday then that's it.

ouesi likes this.
  20. ouesi

ouesi Guest

@Cleo38 I meant to tell you, last night I was doing yoga and thought of you :D
    But what I realized was that the practice of taking deep breaths through poses that aren't necessarily easy to breathe through is one of the things that I think helps so much with running. Training your diaphragm and ribs to open up through a tight twist or upside down... I think that's one of the things that transfers well to running. IDK?

Cleo38 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice