Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

PF runners thread?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by ouesi, Mar 20, 2018.

1. diefenbaker

diefenbaker PetForums Modmin

This was the first point of my previous post. Over time.. the walking periods will become less. But do things gradually... there's no hurry... Olympic year isn't until 2020. Too much too soon is the fastest way to an injury.

2. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Thanks for the encouragement guys! I have to admit I did quite enjoy how I felt afterwards that I had actually made the effort to move my body, even if it wasnt much!:)
    Did make my hip hurt abit but thats more due to the extra mileage I was walking then the running part I think. Achey joints just happen when you get really big. New goal is to build up to being able to actually run enough to start a run/walk program!LOL:Hilarious

Cleo38, Boxer123 and ouesi like this.
  3. diefenbaker

Stretching is important too.... something I tend to neglect... and then the tightness/niggles start appearing.... and the body starts compensating causing a problem in another area. However, I'm addicted to the dopamine flow... no wonder dogs like to chase.

4. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

I'm terrible for not stretching I tend to just collapse on the sofa after a long run.

5. diefenbaker

Last Saturday post canicross run we walked through McDonalds drive-thru and I got a latte and a bacon and egg McMuffin.

6. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

That to me is a stretching routine I could commit to although sox would want a mcmuffin to.

7. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

That's fantastic @catz4m8z - well done you!!! I think for people like me who have never, ever run it really was quite an achievement when I did actually run for 60 seconds without feeling like I was going to die! :D

Please post how you are getting on as for newbies like me it;'s nice to read of others who are starting out :)

But for the more experienced runners what are your warm up/cool down routines?

8. ouesi

ouesi Guest

Warm up = walking quickly and/or running slowly until I literally warm up and take my jacket off :D
    Cool down = walk Bates up the driveway until I stop breathing hard and he has done his thing.
    When I shower I stretch hamstrings & lower back, also hip flexors. That's it.
    3X a week or more I do a full body yoga stretch & workout.
    I generally don't feel the need to do any particular stretching or foam roller stuff that is so in these days. On really long runs I'll be more vigilant about stretching what feels like it needs it but most of my stretching is through a regular yoga practice unrelated to when I have gone for a run (or not).

Some people are all about the stretching and foam rolling and spend hours every day on that part. I don't have that kind of dedication or frankly time. If I have 2 hours to kill I'm out running, not stretching after the run.

Cleo38 likes this.
  9. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Couch to 5k starts with alternating 30 seconds of running and 90 seconds of walking. I did this for weeks and weeks until I felt ready to move up to the next level!

10. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

When I first started I thought I was quite fit as I visited the gym but alas couldn't run for toffee but I just enjoyed being out instead of in a sweaty gym.

Cool down and warm up I am very bad I tend to just walk before we set of sox likes to pee on several blades of grass we normally stroll the last bit as he is once again peeing on the grass.

Cleo38 likes this.
  11. shamykebab

shamykebab PetForums VIP

Following for motivation! I haven't run properly in a while and the recent cold weather hasn't helped.

Cleo38 likes this.
  12. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

I just do a warm up walk, gradually getting brisker then a cool down walk at the end but just wanted to see if there was anything else I should be doing. I do need to start doing some more yoga in the week, it's just finding the time tbh.

I also wanted to know if anyone else has any issues with breathing at times. I just couldn't seem to get it right today, I don't know why but usually I can get a good rhythm which then helps me to clear my mind when running & just concentrate on my breathing but not today. Is this a normal 'thing' or just me?!

13. ouesi

ouesi Guest

I think it's normal as you work towards upping your endurance and finding your breath.

I know I go on and on about yoga, but I've also found yoga made a huge difference in my breathing when I run. For one, I'm able to take deeper breaths if needed, and I just feel like I'm more effective at oxygenating.

One of the things to check when your breathing is off is your posture. Heart out, chin up, sometimes when we get tired (or in my case cold) we round our shoulders and that's enough to constrict our breathing ever so slightly.

Cleo38 likes this.
  14. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

Yes, definitely I do need to make time for something but I need to find a short(ish) lesson to follow as I really don't have time for too much in the week. Am doing more mindful meditation sessions at work (I go of to my car to do them) & I think they have really helped get a regular rhythm going which has been really helpful when running. Just couldn't seem to get it right today tho .....

ouesi likes this.
  15. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

Another question or the experienced runners ..... I have just got back from my run today, 5.5 miles today & I ran much quicker than previous runs. I think it was due to a combination o good spirits (just had a training session with Archer & his HW & retrieves were spot on!), the weather was nice, no wind, watched the deer in the fields, a flock of gold finches, a fox .... really enjoyed it actually!

But I have noticed that recently I have had back pain, but this feels muscular rather than neuropathic (I have x2 prolapsed discs). Initially the running definitely eased the chronic pain I have but recently this new pain (or more of an ache I suppose )has started. My posture is always good when running, I am always aware of this due to problems with my back but lately I have been running more on roads rather than in the forest & been doing longer distances.

Is this sort of normal? In some ways I'm surprised as my core is actually alot stronger & I have less blubber round my belly/bum/hips due to losing so much. Should I be doing some more core strengthening exercises? Or would some yoga sessions (as @ouesi) suggested be something more beneficial?

#75 Cleo38, Mar 30, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
  16. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

I've not suffered to much but my back does sometimes ache if I really push myself. Yoga sessions I do believe can really help. I'd give that a go. I can't do yoga as the boxers always think this is an invitation to play.

Cleo38 likes this.
  17. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

Oh I have to go upstairs to do it as mine would think it was a wrestling session!! :eek::rolleyes::D

18. ouesi

ouesi Guest

Running does work your whole body, and as you up the mileage, you very well might find some of your core muscles get sore from being used more than they're used to.
    I did a run a few weekends ago that was very technical and slippery. It was only four miles but about 2 miles in, I could feel my upper abs getting sore just from use. Normally I don't feel my abs at all, but this run and trying to stay upright with all the slipping really worked my abs.

And yup, yoga is never a bad thing :) You'll stretch and oxygenate any sore muscles and keep strengthening them too :)

Cleo38 likes this.
  19. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

Yes, I ran along a river bank the other evening with the dogs, only 3 miles & had to stop halfway (Archer rolled in a dead fish!!), but I was really aching all over the next day as it wasn't easy ground to run on & I had to be really aware of my footsteps.

Finished with a really lovely walk round a reservoir as Archer had to have a swim to get some of the fish muck off - he stunk!!

ouesi likes this.
  20. ouesi

ouesi Guest

So that may be where the soreness started. It's not a bad thing, you're working good muscles to work, just don't over do :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice