Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

PF runners thread?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by ouesi, Mar 20, 2018.

1. ouesi

ouesi Guest

My most embarrassing piece of running gear is my snot rag :oops:

*TMI alert* I produce copious amounts of snot when I run, especially when it's cold (my eyes tear like crazy too). The only good solution I have is a bandana I use as a snot rag. I don't know how other runners do it, I'm sure I can't be the only one who's nose turns in to a faucet, but I don't see anyone else farmer's blowing or wiping their nose?

Boxer123 and Cleo38 like this.
  2. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

Hahahahaha, that's so funny! I am similar when it's cold then I am really sweaty when it's mildly warm. Doesn't even have to be hot .... & that's just walking about, I can't imgine what I will be like when I'm running

ouesi likes this.
  3. ouesi

ouesi Guest

Sweat doesn't bother me, here in the Southeastern US everyone is drenched just walking from the house to the car, so having a soaking shirt and shorts during a run is normal. Though I do have a pair of grey shorts that I just can't run in because one mile in, the sweat marks look like I've peed myself :Hilarious
    The biggest thing with sweat though is that as it dries, and the salt sits on your skin, chafing becomes the enemy...

4. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

You need to learn to master the Snot Rocket

http://talk.brooksrunning.com/blog/2016/04/12/running-101-master-the-snot-rocket/

Boxer123 likes this.
  5. ouesi

ouesi Guest

:Hilarious:Hilarious:Hilarious:Hilarious
    I'm well versed in the "farmer's blow" but my running snot is more like water, farmer's blow doesn't do much LOL
    I really do just need a cloth. Also helpful in the summer when the sweat is so bad it's dripping in to my eyes.... Somehow I'm sure that can't be good to use a rag as dual purpose snot and sweat wiper, but meh :D

Such a glamorous activity :Hilarious:Hilarious:Hilarious

6. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

I hadn't realised the consistency was so crucial but it makes sense :D

Snot and sweat rag in one why not ?! It's all your own body fluids so it probably doesn't matter. Especially if the snot is pretty much water anyway. :)

ouesi likes this.
  7. ouesi

ouesi Guest

Glad you approve :Hilarious

I love these sorts of conversations LOL :D

kittih likes this.
  8. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

As others have said walking is fine I like to have a little walk break in races when I'm training it's called stopping to wait whilst sox spins around pooping everywhere then walking around trying to find it !

Cleo38 likes this.
  9. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

Yep I'm guilty of snot every where it was stuck to my face in last weeks big freeze attractive.

kittih, Cleo38 and ouesi like this.
  10. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

What do you think about trying running as a really, really big person??
    Im considering giving it a go but not sure how I'll do:Shy. I mean is it hard to get into?

11. ouesi

ouesi Guest

Do it :D

There is a FB group, fatgirlrunning run by Mirna Valerio that is amazing. Mirna is amazing. She's a plus size woman who runs ultras.
    Check 'em out:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/fatgirlrunning/

12. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

Couch to 5 km is good incorporates walking and running. My advice don't worry about what you wear but get a good pair of running shoes. When I first started I felt awful couldn't do it but slowly you build up.

13. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Dont have Facebook.:( But I am kinda inspired by a lady at work who is what most people would look at and think overweight but who regularly runs 5 and 10ks and loves it!

(plan on running in my regular clothes, which are practically gym gear, and just pretending Im really late for something!LOL:Hilarious) Annoyingly most of the programs seem to be in podcast form which I dont really have any devices for but I was planning on going walk/walk/run from lamp-post to lamp-post and building up.
    The park right next to my work does a Parkrun which seems like a good goal to work towards.:)

14. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

Lamp post to lamp post is good it's how I did it before smartphones. Park runs are great one of my work friends who is joining me in the marathon started with park run has lost four stone and is now doing Brighton. Good trainers are a must maybe a little dog friend.

15. diefenbaker

diefenbaker PetForums Modmin

Don't give up because you can't run a 4 minute mile on the first attempt.

Find a group of people to run with. Banter and encouragement.

Run off-road. I've never really done road-running but so many people say they find it boring.

If you can't get out do something else to get the heart rate up. I have a running machine and a bike with Netflix in front. Currently half-way through season 4 of Arrow :)

I don't think I'm really a natural runner... but the canicross is just soooo much fun.

16. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

Definitely give it a go @catz4m8z .... honestly if I can run then anyone can! I was talking about it the other day & even at school (many, many years ago!) I used to skive off from cross country so never did that, I always had an excuse for the 1500m so never did that either. The only time I have really ever run in my life (I am 47 now) when was I used to be a hunt sab in my late teens/early 20's & then I had a real purpose for running.

Measuring yourself any way is a really good idea, I use an app on my phone & I started with a session where I ran for 60 secs then walked for 90 secs, repeating for approx 20mins .... I could barely manage the 60 secs initially. Over the weeks after I have built up & now I can run for 30 mins.

I am also not a natural runner & I am never going to find it easy but I have found that my fitness has improved dramatically over the past few weeks, I have lost weight & I feel so much better.

#56 Cleo38, Mar 26, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
  17. ouesi

ouesi Guest

Today's inspiration:

[​IMG]

Knocked out a good 5 miles yesterday, and then did a strength building video on youtube, squats, lunges, planks etc. Felt great.... Until this morning and I realized those muscles definitely needed the work! Knocked out a pitifully slow 3.5 this morning on *very* sore legs LOL!

18. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

IMG_2998.JPG

6 miler with the boxers before work very dark because of clock change.

diefenbaker and ouesi like this.
  19. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

well. I 'attempted' running!:Hungover
    Given that Im about 90Ibs overweight and getting over a cough and cold I wasnt expecting miracles but sheesh....how unfit am I??:Bag
    I picked the easiest plan I could find (run 1min, walk 4min x6) and I couldnt even do that!:Shy I managed 2 1min 'runs' and the others I had to give up after 40seconds. well, I call it running...if I had been going any slower I would have been running on the spot!

Im so fat and slow.:( Come the zombie apocalypse I'll be the first one eaten!:Hilarious

20. ouesi

ouesi Guest

Hey! Give yourself credit!! You went out there and ran, which is more than you did yesterday, fitness does come, way slower than we would like, but it does come :)

But I get it, there is nothing much worse than confirmation of how unfit you are. When I first got back in to running, I was a good 30 pounds heavier than I am now, and I was gasping for breath going downhill. I felt awful, ashamed/annoyed I had gotten so out of shape, and frustrated at the seemingly insurmountable work ahead of me.
    It DOES get better. Try not to compare yourself to anyone else, and just celebrate every step you make towards positive change :)

diefenbaker likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice