Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

PF runners thread?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by ouesi, Mar 20, 2018.

1. ouesi

ouesi Guest

I'm shooting for 4 miles this afternoon :) I was going to this morning but it's so stupid cold and I'm so tired of being cold!! I went out there, walked 2 miles and called it good LOL!

2. ouesi

ouesi Guest

My pace is all over the place. Depends on how far I'm going and what kind of terrain. I *can* do a decent 10 minute mile but I prefer long and slow.
    Trail runs slow me down significantly, even downhill I have to watch out for roots and rocks :) I did a 9+ mile trail run at an 11 and a half minute pace that I was very proud of even though it's a pretty slow pace!

kimthecat likes this.
  3. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

I'm not fast that's why I aim for long distances. Because I mostly train with the boxers my pace is all over the place. I hit the trails as well so that slows me down. My last road half marathon was 2 hrs and 9 minutes.

ouesi and kimthecat like this.
  4. ouesi

ouesi Guest

I would be thrilled with that time! I've tried to get under 2:15 for a while now, almost made it last time, but then got hit in the face with a 15mph headwind for half the race. That knocked some time off!
    That was also the race that convinced me I just don't like road races. I don't like the crowds, the monotony, the litter!! OMG the litter really grated on my nerves. The trail Ultra I'm doing next is cupless and has a rule that if you litter you get eliminated. I love it. And it's a beautiful mountain trail around a lake and up and down with some good technical parts. Much more my style :D

5. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

Very jealous are you US based ? I'm not a fan of road races but a group of us from work are doing the marathon together so road it is. My ultra is all canal paths. When I did London marathon people were just chucking bottles and you trip over them.

ouesi likes this.
  6. ouesi

ouesi Guest

Yes, I'm in the US, southeast. We have some really lovely hiking/running trails, the Appalachians are just 45 minutes away :)

7. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

Spoke to my sister this evening & she suggested we do the Bournemouth half marathon in Oct!!

Not sure I can as it would mean putting the dogs in kennels as it's not near to me (& Roxy is getting on now so not really an option) ..... but I can't believe I am even considering it!!

ouesi likes this.
  8. ouesi

ouesi Guest

Ah but you're considering it @Cleo38 :D That's the first step (in to insanity LOL!)

I like having something to work towards, and my last half marathon was sort of a gift to myself (it fell the day before my birthday). I had let running go, and I really did miss it and how I feel when I'm running regularly.

Speaking of feeling good, I did an afternoon run today after wimping out from the cold this morning, and no stomach issues! I ate an early lunch around noon, and then ran at 5pm and that worked. So yay!

Cleo38 likes this.
  9. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

Can you do one a bit closer to home so you don't need to worry about the doggys ? I find traveling for races adds to the stress.

Cleo38 likes this.
  10. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

That's good tummy issues are the worst especially if I've eaten half a tub of biscuits at work.

ouesi likes this.
  11. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

Yes, that's what am thinking. my sister lives down that way so it it easy or her but I sort o know that I won't leave the dogs & if I do I will be worrying about them which will spoil it all a bit.

Maybe she can do that one & then come to me & do another! :D

Boxer123 and ouesi like this.
  12. ouesi

ouesi Guest

:Hilarious:Hilarious:Hilarious:Hilarious:Hilarious
    Don't you hate it when that happens?! :D

Boxer123 likes this.
  13. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

I just got back from my run, 5 miles today but with a 3 min walk break halfway, nice day but windy & that made it alot more difficult, especially the last mile. My legs are killing me now but I can't sit down for too long as I have to take the dogs out again.

Was thinking about the half marathon when out, most of me thinks I am mad to consider it but a tiny part thinking I might actually do it. But I know nothing about this sort of thing so do some people walk during the run? Is this ok? I don;t think I could do it all without a walk break.

I sort of have a mental picture of me doing it but being so slow that it's dark when I finish & only a couple of the organizers left (because they have to be there) swearing under their breath at me :Arghh:Shamefullyembarrased:Jawdrop:D

ouesi likes this.
  14. ouesi

ouesi Guest

Yes!! Lots of people walk during a half (and full) marathon. In fact some people walk the whole thing! It's worth looking at cut-off times. Some courses have a cut-off time, especially if it's through a city and they have to close off streets. Others are much more generous with the cut-off times or don't have them at all. I promise you won't be the last one! And even if you are, you're doing better than the guy sitting on the sofa right? :D

15. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

@Cleo38 some people do them using the walk run method. And from what I can tell it doesn't slow them down particularly much as the walk breaks between the running mean that the running bits can be done at a steady pace.

As @ouesi says the trick is to find a race that doesn't have a cut off time or if it does it is much longer than you need. Many races post previous years times so you will get an idea of how long everyone takes.

16. diefenbaker

diefenbaker PetForums Modmin

Would you consider one with the dogs ?

17. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

Yes very true ... I wouldn't mind being last just as long as it was on the same day as the run!! I didn't know about cut off times, I will have to check.

I would with Archer at some point, he would love it but would have to train him to run ona hraness attached to me (like CaniX) as he free runs atm. Not something I could do with Roxy my other dog as she's getting on now & has arthritis so wouldn;t be able to manage this sort of distance .... & she would hate it, too many people does her head in, bit like me tbh :D

Thanks, will have to look at previous times .... it will probably make me reconsider as I'm not a fast runner so will probably have people walking past me :D

And ...... I don't have any running gear as such. I usually run in old leggings, a really old t-shirt that is comfortable because it doesn't ride up & a light fleece that I use when out walking the dogs so I look a bit of a tramp rather than a runner!!!

18. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

I am not sure what you wear matters. There are always people wearing all sorts of stuff. At worst people will just think you are in fancy dress :D

Cleo38 likes this.
  19. ouesi

ouesi Guest

Ha ha! :D
    Most of my runs are at stupid-o'clock in the morning and I don't pay a whole lot of attention to fashion :D
    Honestly, the only thing I really spend money on is good shoes and my injinji toe socks (they're amazing). But otherwise I run in cheap t-shirts and leggings or shorts. And cheap bras you buy in a 3 pack at a discount. And yes, I run the actual races in that :)

20. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

Hahahaha, as long as they don't start giving me spare change! :D I suppose it's just seeing some people out that have all the nice gear on, running nicely, just the right amount of sweat .... & then there's me! :D

Yeah, where I run I don't see anyone apart from the odd farm worker in a tractor so what I wear doesn't really matter. I did buy some running trainer & they are nice but the ones I bought from ebay that were quite cheap seem to be my fave ones.
    Comfort for me is most important as clothes that don't fit well or ride up or a collar doesn't stay flat, etc really bug me & I can't seem to ignore it so I suppose if I do enter the run I will just go in my normal scrufffy stuff whilst my sister will look fabulous .... I'll have to trip her up or something :D

ouesi likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice