Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

PF runners thread?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by ouesi, Mar 20, 2018.

1. ouesi

ouesi Guest

I know @Boxer123 is training for a marathon, and several others on the wellness thread are running, plus our members who run with their dogs...

How 'bout a runners thread?

Talk gear, goals, fun stuff, not fun stuff... Any takers?

kittih and diefenbaker like this.
  2. diefenbaker

diefenbaker PetForums Modmin

Camelot Challenge.... if I make it this year I shall be resurrecting Sir Runalot

3. ouesi

ouesi Guest

Sorry a bit too cryptic for me :oops:
    Camelot Challenge must be a race yes?

4. diefenbaker

ouesi likes this.
  5. ouesi

ouesi Guest

6. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

Brighton marathon then the Thames trot 50 ! Really struggling to train and work but it's going ok. Love my soloman vest as I can hold everything in there !

ouesi likes this.
  7. ouesi

ouesi Guest

I haven't signed up yet, but I'm shooting for a 50K in October. It's got crazy elevation gain, but it's a beautiful trail. Good luck to you on both those races!

I've shied away from vests because I've yet to find one that doesn't annoy me, but my nathan hydration belt is annoying me now... I wore it today with a different pair of shorts and it chaffed the front of my hip. Not bad, but it was one of those that I noticed as soon as I got in the shower. It's getting to be that time of year where it's all about battling the chafe LOL! I may have to go the vest route.

8. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

I hardly notice it at all and it has space for lilies ball poo bags water and more !

ouesi likes this.
  9. diefenbaker

I have thought of a running vest.. mainly for the stuff I take for Dief. I take coconut water for him because I know he will drink it so I know he's hydrating. Me... I drink from puddles. I was looking at cheaper ones on Amazon because the Salomon's are so damned expensive. Serious respect to all you peeps doing Ultra's.. especially with elevation.[​IMG]

Boxer123 and ouesi like this.
  10. FeelTheBern

FeelTheBern They don't like it up 'em, sir!

Running engines...yes. Cars, bikes and garden machinery!
    Gear? First gear is best; it's the most powerful.
    Fun stuff? Driving the vehicle/operating the machine.
    Not fun stuff? Refuelling, maintenance costs.
    Goals? Buying a Mercedes GLC.

#10 FeelTheBern, Mar 20, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
    Boxer123 likes this.
  11. ouesi

ouesi Guest

Yes, Salomon really do like their gear don't they :eek:

I'm looking at a Nathan vest on Amazon, but really I need to be able to try out for a few runs, and I don't feel right returning something I've obviously used. I'm going to have to get something sorted though because summer is right around the corner and I'm going to need more than just 16oz of water which is all my belt holds.

12. diefenbaker

Aonijie seems to be the "Salomon Rip-Off" brand on Amazon.. but I couldn't speak for quality.

13. ouesi

ouesi Guest

I've had good luck with the Nathan brand. Also pricey but seems to go on sale more often. Plus I've discovered on Amazon that if you let things sit in your cart for a week or two, the price magically goes down :D

14. ouesi

ouesi Guest

Okay, quick question for those of you who run in the afternoon/evening.
    I am definitely a morning person and much prefer morning runs. For short runs I go on an empty stomach, for longer runs a plain bagel or bowl of oatmeal about an hour before sits perfectly and sustains me for most of the run.

I'm trying to do some doubles as I add the miles in, and evening runs have been really hit or miss food-wise. I almost always spend the first mile or two with a cramping stomach that eventually resolves but it just sucks for those first few miles. The other thing is timing the meals. I don't like eating right after a run, and when I get done with my run late, it then gets too late to really eat. What do you guys do?

I'm also working around kid schedules so I can't change the time of the evening run that much. Like right now, 6:30pm to 8:00 is my window for running.

15. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

I'm a morning bird as well I'm afraid can't really help when I run in the evening I struggle and can't eat before hand also I find I'm dehydrated. Bizarrely in the morning I can eat and run ! I guess it's better to have a bigger but healthier lunch.

16. ouesi

ouesi Guest

Same :confused:
    I eat in the morning, go run an hour later, no issues.
    Afternoon/evening, I eat before a run and spend most of it burping whatever I ate, and stomach protesting.

Am going to try the big lunch thing today. See how that works.

17. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

I have only done this a few times and I am a beginner runner but I had a big late lunch and then a banana about 30 minutes before hand. I tend to not be hungry for a while after exercise but found a mug of soup worked OK. Not too filling but nutritious enough to keep me going till the next day.

Boxer123 likes this.
  18. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

IMG_2946.JPG

Four miles for us this morning I think the boxers covered more ground than me.

Cleo38, kimthecat and ouesi like this.
  19. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

Good luck .
    What pace do you run at ? Jogging used to be popular years ago when Uk marathons first started but they've upped the ante and people seem to set much faster paces now.

Cleo38 likes this.
  20. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

I don't go fast at all, I am new to this so don't want to push myself too much .... but then I am also quite lazy so do need to make sure I am challenging myself . I saw some 'proper' runners when I was out doing some training with my dogs yesterday & they seem alot faster than me, maybe I should start looking at times .....

My running app shows that yesterday (5 mile run) - my average speed was 9.38km/h with a top speed of 12.48km/h. I have no idea if that's too slow (I certainly doesn't feel like it at the time).

(Also this was including X3 5min walks (warm up/midway break/ cool down)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice