Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Pexion or Epiphen

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by HayB, Jan 26, 2019.

1. HayB

HayB PetForums Newbie

Hi there!

We have a Sprocker who is 17 months old now. At 13 months old she suffered from some cluster seizures. After a swift referral to langford vets in Bristol and several non conclusive tests later they diagnosed her with idiopathic epilepsy. We were then discharged and put back under the guidance of our local vet. From the moment of her first seizure she was put on Keppra (sorry if I’ve misspelt it!) which stops her seizures completely. However we’ve been advised it’s only a short term drug so we need to find an affective long term one. For the last 4 months we have been giving her Pexion. We are in a cycle which we administer Pexion, leave it for a week/10 days and then take her off the Keppra to see if the Pexion is affective. Each time we have been increasing her dose on the advice of our vet. Every time we take her off the Keppra she has seizures and the Pexion just doesn’t seem to be kicking in. My vet did say this week that we might look to put her on Epiphen (this was also after me having a bit of a weepy moan to the vet nurse who is very experienced), I’m just looking for experience and advice as I feel like I’m up against a clock. We can’t be on the Keppra for much longer (apparently it can be ineffective after 8 months and for licensing reasons) but the Pexion isn’t working? Many thanks, Hayleigh/panicky dog owner

2. Leanne77

Leanne77 PetForums VIP

All the literature says that Pexion shouldnt be used if there is a history of cluster seizures so I would go with the Epiphen personally. The advantage of Pexion however is that you can just stop and start the medication, there is no weaning on and off period like there is with the other meds, and it's not supposed to damage liver and kidneys. One way to help protect the liver from any potential liver damage from using Epiphen is to also use milk thistle alongside.

3. HayB

HayB PetForums Newbie

Thanks for the reply! Really useful. The Pexion just doesn’t seem to be working and I’ve read good things about Epiphen. Interesting about not using Pexion with cluster seizures as that’s exactly what she suffers from. I imagine the vet was just trying to go the safest long term route. Hopefully we’ll be swapping to Epiphen this week and I’m going to look into milk thistle at the same time. Once again, thank you for replying I really appreciate it. :)

4. Leanne77

Leanne77 PetForums VIP

Pexion is still a very new drug and I dont believe vets fully know their stuff about it and therefore prescribe it without full knowledge. This is taken from this website: https://www.ema.europa.eu/documents/overview/pexion-epar-summary-public_en.pdf:
    I had one of my dogs on Pexion for a while, with increasing dosages, but it made no difference to him. I have a friend who uses it for her extremely anxious dog and it's worked wonders for that, but it didnt work for epilepsy for us.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice